How to counter the elephant threat in this battle?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Temple
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

How to counter the elephant threat in this battle?

Post by Temple »

I'm looking for some advice on a battle I just fought and lost. The forces are Achaemenid Persian 545-481 BC (me) vs Indian 500 BC - 319 AD, difficulty III, roguedjack's AI overhaul mod enabled, open battle. Since this was the first time I've used this army I opted for auto unit select.

Here is the default deployment and not having any better ideas I stuck with it.
20171209225721_1.jpg
20171209225721_1.jpg (643.91 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
Note that on the left of the line, inside of the one cavalry unit, there are three Irregular Foot. Most of the rest of the line is Sparabara foot with Immortals on the far right just inside of the two cavalry units on the line.

And now a screenshot with both sides; both have moved one turn.
20171209230116_1.jpg
20171209230116_1.jpg (643.58 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
So when the battle started I found that my three Irregular Foot were facing three elephants. Sadly I didn't capture any more screenshots, but eventually what happened is my main line advanced, as did the enemy. My Sparabara fought with his Indian Archers and my cavalry fought on the right flank with his cavalry and chariots. Those fights were fairly balanced. But those three elephants of his met up with my three Irregular Foot on my left, beat them after a few turns and then started attacking my Sparabara towards the center of the line, which caused me the loss.

So my question is this; if you had these same forces and deployment, what would you do on the first few turns to counter the elephant threat?
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: How to counter the elephant threat in this battle?

Post by NikiforosFokas »

What is the unit behind the irregulars ?
If this is a spearmen type unit as i suppose they are, i would transfer a general to this unit. Second the three irregulas had to advance to their left towards (not in ) the forest, while the spearmen would go infront. The elephants would not follow the irregulars to the forest and their commander would be afraid to advance a lot with them because he would reasonably fear a flaniking move from this flank. The spearmen would also be a serious threat to the elephants.
This is what i can imagine, but i am sure somebody would have a better idea.
Also, i find really bad idea to have two generals on cavarly. One is ok (atleast for your flanking right) but the second is wasted atlest imho.
Last edited by NikiforosFokas on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Byzantium!!
redrum68
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by redrum68 »

Best thing is to probably take the high ground on the left side and delay (avoid engaging as long as possible). If you can tie up his 3 elephants and cavalry (3 generals) while you push the right side then you should be able to get the win. Remember that elephants are unmanuverable so just make sure not to stand in front of them and they have a hard time turning.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

The other thing to hear in mind is elephants really don't like arrows and you have a lots of missile units there. Two or three on your left facing the nellies and you are likely to at least disrupt and probably fracture them. The other advice above is good too.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

redrum68 wrote:Best thing is to probably take the high ground on the left side and delay (avoid engaging as long as possible). If you can tie up his 3 elephants and cavalry (3 generals) while you push the right side then you should be able to get the win. Remember that elephants are unmanuverable so just make sure not to stand in front of them and they have a hard time turning.
Yes, I think this is a good plan on the left. Also, while the enemy advances on you, concentrate all your cavalry together behind your battle line at first, then charge them head first across the open ground at the Indian archers, ensuring that you only receive long range archer shots before you make contact. The timing is crucial here. While concentrating your cavalry, bring your skirmishers from the right towards the centre to act as a screen for your cavalry. A cavalry charge, with sparabara and Immortals in support, will smash up the Indian army. Any disrupted charging cavalry will still fight well against Indian archers and they stop those archers from shooting. If the enemy elephants swing into the centre then your irregular units can be used to flank them and the sparabara on that side could shower them with arrows (with a good chance of getting some "disrupts"). Your Immortals will be able to hold off enemy chariots on the other flank.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

devoncop wrote:The other thing to hear in mind is elephants really don't like arrows and you have a lots of missile units there. Two or three on your left facing the nellies and you are likely to at least disrupt and probably fracture them. The other advice above is good too.
Yeah, I wouldn't bother doing anything fancy, just shoot the crap out of them with your Sparabara and Immortal Foot.

Unfortunately your deployment pitted the Irregular foot in the path of the Elephants. On the first few turns, instead of advancing you should have reorganised your line to have the Sparabara face the Elephants. Also, move some (or all) of your light infantry over to face the Elephants, the more units shooting at them the better. Destroy the jumbos, and then you can concentrate on the rest of the Indian army.

Also, I would not normally put my Irregular foot in the front line if I was up against a strong enemy army like the Indians. They are ok against weak foot armies who don't have anything better, but otherwise I would just have them in reserve. The Hoplite unit that you have behind the Irregular foot is much more capable of being in the front line.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Temple

Post by Temple »

Thanks for all the replies :D. I really do have to think about my anti-elephant tactics as my Persians are going back into Indian country again :mrgreen:
Temple

Post by Temple »

And now I've fought another battle with these two sides and I did much better against his elephants, as related in my AAR: Battle of Varigani 495 BC

Return to “Field of Glory II”