Beta System Tray Tool

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Beta System Tray Tool

Post by grumblefish »

Trying: SOFTWARE\Slitherine\FOG
Failed to add Field of Glory
Trying: SOFTWARE\Slitherine\BBCBA
Failed to add Battlefield Academy
Trying: SOFTWARE\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East
Failed to add War in the East
Trying: SOFTWARE\Slitherine\PanzerCorps
Failed to add Panzer Corps
Trying: SOFTWARE\Slitherine\FieldOfGlory2
Failed to add Field of Glory 2

That's the content of my error.log file.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Ah - how many of you are using Steam versions of the game? It uses the registry to find the game. I was basing it on the older TrayTool which was pre-Steam. Hmmm. Sometimes it's obvious!

I will have to work out how to find or validate Steam versions.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

Here's my error log:
Found SOFTWARE\Slitherine\FOG
Found: key
Added Field of Glory
Found SOFTWARE\Slitherine\FieldOfGlory2
Found: FieldOfGlory2
Added Field of Glory 2
101:8

{"ErrorCode":"8","ScriptLine":330,"ScriptName":"auth.php","ErrorComment":"Login isn't correct"}
I bought the game from Slitherine, not Steam. I have merged accounts, so maybe it's set to the wrong account.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

the_iron_duke wrote:Here's my error log:
Found SOFTWARE\Slitherine\FOG
Found: key
Added Field of Glory
Found SOFTWARE\Slitherine\FieldOfGlory2
Found: FieldOfGlory2
Added Field of Glory 2

{"ErrorCode":"8","ScriptLine":330,"ScriptName":"auth.php","ErrorComment":"Login isn't correct"}
I bought the game from Slitherine, not Steam. I have merged accounts, so maybe it's set to the wrong account.
That would make sense. Deleting the TrayTool folder from My Documents should allow you to enter the correct login info.

Cheers

Pip
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

pipfromslitherine wrote: That would make sense. Deleting the TrayTool folder from My Documents should allow you to enter the correct login info.

Cheers

Pip
It's working now I've done this, and the icon is flashing because I have turns ready. I don't see it in a single box like kilroy1 sees it in Post #[Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm]. Instead, the individual game boxes appear and disappear one at a time when the icon is clicked.
chris_merchant
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by chris_merchant »

cool! v2.0 certainly works for me in terms of starting to flash when there's a new turn waiting, but once I've uploaded all turns it keeps flashing. Mind you, not sure how often it updates. Cheers!!

edit: ah nvm, it stopped flashing about 10 mins after I finished the last outstanding game turn.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

the_iron_duke wrote:
pipfromslitherine wrote: That would make sense. Deleting the TrayTool folder from My Documents should allow you to enter the correct login info.

Cheers

Pip
It's working now I've done this, and the icon is flashing because I have turns ready. I don't see it in a single box like kilroy1 sees it in Post #[Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm]. Instead, the individual game boxes appear and disappear one at a time when the icon is clicked.
Windows 10 keeps a log of individual popups, which is what he posted.

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

chris_merchant wrote:cool! v2.0 certainly works for me in terms of starting to flash when there's a new turn waiting, but once I've uploaded all turns it keeps flashing. Mind you, not sure how often it updates. Cheers!!

edit: ah nvm, it stopped flashing about 10 mins after I finished the last outstanding game turn.
It only updates every 5-10 mins to prevent excessive hits to the server.

Cheers

Pip
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

It seems to be all working okay, so well done for getting this going again.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Ah - how many of you are using Steam versions of the game? It uses the registry to find the game. I was basing it on the older TrayTool which was pre-Steam. Hmmm. Sometimes it's obvious!

Cheers

Pip
I tried deleting the TrayTool folder, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

grumblefish wrote:
pipfromslitherine wrote:Ah - how many of you are using Steam versions of the game? It uses the registry to find the game. I was basing it on the older TrayTool which was pre-Steam. Hmmm. Sometimes it's obvious!

Cheers

Pip
I tried deleting the TrayTool folder, but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem.
If you are using a Steam version then the current tool will not work.

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have updated the original post with this new beta version. This should work for Steam users of FoG2 (currently will not work correctly for older games on Steam, but this is coming). So please give it a try.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94vw2teng9q3e ... 2.zip?dl=0

Cheers

Pip
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

pipfromslitherine wrote:I have updated the original post with this new beta version. This should work for Steam users of FoG2 (currently will not work correctly for older games on Steam, but this is coming). So please give it a try.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94vw2teng9q3e ... 2.zip?dl=0

Cheers

Pip
Great, thanks again for putting the hard work into restoring this systray tool. I will give it a go once I get home.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have updated the original post with v2.3. This uses the server for all serial checks. This means that older games should also work for Steam users. It also means that you can run the tool on machines where the games themselves are not installed. If people don't find any issues with this version I will release it more broadly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1agvm2s27yd9i ... 3.zip?dl=0

Cheers

Pip
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

pipfromslitherine wrote:I have updated the original post with v2.3. This uses the server for all serial checks. This means that older games should also work for Steam users. It also means that you can run the tool on machines where the games themselves are not installed. If people don't find any issues with this version I will release it more broadly.

Cheers

Pip
It works... but it goes through several different games and just keeps popping up Windows 10 alerts everytime I click on it. Annoying as can be. I just want to know if FOG 2 has any turns waiting, not be beeped at four or five times and have little notifications while it checks all the other titles.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

grumblefish wrote:
pipfromslitherine wrote:I have updated the original post with v2.3. This uses the server for all serial checks. This means that older games should also work for Steam users. It also means that you can run the tool on machines where the games themselves are not installed. If people don't find any issues with this version I will release it more broadly.

Cheers

Pip
It works... but it goes through several different games and just keeps popping up Windows 10 alerts everytime I click on it. Annoying as can be. I just want to know if FOG 2 has any turns waiting, not be beeped at four or five times and have little notifications while it checks all the other titles.
Do you own all the other games it is reporting on?

Cheers

Pip
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

I don't believe so, I will have to check which games are popping up next time I'm at home. I do own the original FOG, of course, but I don't play it anymore.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

pipfromslitherine wrote:
grumblefish wrote:

Cheers

Pip
Do you own all the other games it is reporting on?

Cheers

Pip

Okay, I just checked, and it's reporting on:

FOG 1
FOG 2
Battlefield Academy
War in the East
Panzer Corps

I only have the 2 FOGs, I don't have the other 3.

It only appears to check them when I click on the icon (which causes it to refresh). If I never click it, it just goes through the 2 FOGs (the games I own).

Anyway, if I may make a suggestion, if the app is just being used for FOG 2 we could just do away with the others. I don't have a reason to be told about FOG 1, as I don't play it anymore, and I don't own the other games.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the details. This would replace the current tray tool, and so I can't build it to only show the games you are interested in :) But I can add controls to allow players to hide games they are no longer playing of course.

Not sure why it is reporting you have games you don't - I will check it out.

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have uploaded a new version. This allows you to control (in the Help popup) which games are displayed. It should also (in theory) stop the display of any games you do not own. Please let me know if you still see errant game popups, and the message they display.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlkgpk0pyt062 ... 4.zip?dl=0

Thanks as always to everyone who is helping test this out.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Field of Glory II”