Field of Glory II Tournament Suggestions

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Save Scrumming cheat

Post by bbogensc »

Request that in league and tournament games the save game feature be disabled.

"Save-scrumming" seems to be widespread and is effecting about 1 in 10 games quite obviously where the scrummer wins the significant battles in the match due to scrumming. Limited "save scrumming" likely occurs more frequently where the scrummer eliminates any minor disasters occurring on their own turn.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Save Scrumming cheat

Post by rbodleyscott »

bbogensc wrote:Request that in league and tournament games the save game feature be disabled.

"Save-scrumming" seems to be widespread and is effecting about 1 in 10 games quite obviously where the scrummer wins the significant battles in the match due to scrumming. Limited "save scrumming" likely occurs more frequently where the scrummer eliminates any minor disasters occurring on their own turn.
See my replies on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=501&t=80756&p=725756#p725756
Richard Bodley Scott

bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Field of Glory II Tournament Suggestions

Post by bbogensc »

If one first saved, then disconnected from the internet, then scrummed. The save upload would matchbthe download. The server would then still see an even upload/download count even though scrumming had occurred. Sorry, if I'm not getting it.
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Dude, the in game save goes back to the server.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Ah got it. The multiplayer save must end the turn.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The real point to understand is that the save is not on your local machine, it is on the server. When you "reload" you are in fact downloading it from the server, not from a file on your computer. Obviously this is done specifically to police potential "save-scumming".

There is no way to run any part of a turn multiple times on your machine without clocking up an extra download each time you "force-quit", thus alerting the "save scumming" police.
Richard Bodley Scott

bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Would it make sense to so a +1 CT adj to the other player on the second server download of a turn? This would make scrumming much less viable where it is done below the threshold or up to the warning.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

bbogensc wrote:Would it make sense to so a +1 CT adj to the other player on the second server download of a turn? This would make scrumming much less viable where it is done below the threshold or up to the warning.
You need to be careful not to penalise the player that has a technical issue. I recently had multiple downloads of some of my games when my graphics software and drivers had become corrupt via a Windows update. I was having problems completing games without crashes until nVidia support fixed my issue.
Mirek69
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Mirek69 »

I have a problem...
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (342.36 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
My channel : www.youtube.com/user/Uszatek444/feed
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mirek69 wrote:I have a problem...
Yes, this is affecting everyone in the tournament. We have asked the Server guys to look into it.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mirek69
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Mirek69 »

Thx Richard
My channel : www.youtube.com/user/Uszatek444/feed
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

Dear Slitherine:

My opponent timed out in both of my Round 2 games and yet I was not awarded the 75 point "consolation score for either. I see this happened with others as well. Please help me understand the mechanics here.

Thanks
markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by markwatson360 »

You only get the 75 pts if your oponent has played less than 12 turns, this is explained in the tournament rules page in the last paragraph.
nyczar

Post by nyczar »

Ah, thanks, missed that. A painful dagger we give to those who choose dishonor.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

nyczar wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:36 pm Ah, thanks, missed that. A painful dagger we give to those who choose dishonor.
I too was timed out in round 2. Stinks as both games were a turn or two away from completion. I’m especially miffed as my opponent sat on both games for 4-5 days before taking his first turns. Likely be my last tournament as just too damn frustrating.
markwatson360

Post by markwatson360 »

My view is that since tournament rounds have increased in length from 7 to 10 to now 14 days, the 12 turn time out rule should be either increased to 16 turns or better still got rid of altogether. It's not unreasonable to expect a 24 turn game to be completed in 2 weeks, and as it is at the moment, a losing player can sit on a game to spitefully deny his oponent points in the knowledge he has played 12 turns.
nyczar

Post by nyczar »

markwatson360 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:56 pm My view is that since tournament rounds have increased in length from 7 to 10 to now 14 days, the 12 turn time out rule should be either increased to 16 turns or better still got rid of altogether. It's not unreasonable to expect a 24 turn game to be completed in 2 weeks, and as it is at the moment, a losing player can sit on a game to spitefully deny his oponent points in the knowledge he has played 12 turns.
That is the perfect word for it. Spite. In lieu of figuring out the word to name the attitude behind the behavior, I opted for the label of dishonor, which pales in precision to what you named. I agree that removing the turn limit will mitigate the effects of this game play in Slitherine Tournaments.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

markwatson360 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:56 pm My view is that since tournament rounds have increased in length from 7 to 10 to now 14 days, the 12 turn time out rule should be either increased to 16 turns or better still got rid of altogether. It's not unreasonable to expect a 24 turn game to be completed in 2 weeks, and as it is at the moment, a losing player can sit on a game to spitefully deny his oponent points in the knowledge he has played 12 turns.
Yes, that is probably a good idea.
Richard Bodley Scott

Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

I am finally in a tournament and having a lot of fun and learning a lot. So how about a Diadochi Wars tournament? I imagine it would be a fun tournament.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:58 am I am finally in a tournament and having a lot of fun and learning a lot. So how about a Diadochi Wars tournament? I imagine it would be a fun tournament.
It is one we can consider. Up till now the tournaments have only just kept up with the DLC releases.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”