Zama - an alternative approach

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Zama - an alternative approach

Post by nikgaukroger »

Have hacked and bashed my way to a Roman victory last night I was wondering about how the real battle panned out and how it could be represented in FoG II.

In the scenario as it stands the Carthaginians break on the usual army break rules - this means it will probably go before the Carthaginian 3rd line is engaged to any great extent (at least against the AI, I think a Human player would spend time getting these good troops into the fray as quickly as they could). However, in the actual battle Hannibal was only finally defeated after all 3 of his lines were beaten - and the 3rd line put up a very good fight, only caving in when charged in the rear by the Roman cavalry.

Perhaps it could be represented by a short 2 game campaign. First battle is against the Carthaginians except all the veteran troops of the 3rd line. If the Romans win this what is left of their army carries over into the 2nd battle to fight the Carthaginian 3rd line (which may get some 1st and 2nd line remnants added). This would also allow for the Romans to undertake the historical reforming of their army.

Obviously if the Romans manage to lose the first battle there is no second battle :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

Return to “Field of Glory II”