Antiochus III campaigns

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Antiochus III campaigns

Post by Paul59 »

Whenever I release a new scenario on P&S I try to raise a new topic in the forum to say a bit about it. With so many of my scenarios and campaigns coming out all in one go that is going to be a bit difficult, but I will try and get around to it over the next few days.

I will start off by introducing the two Antiochus III campaigns. I initially designed a 10 battle campaign, but that exceeded the game's limits. Richard then kindly increased the limit to 15 battles, so I took advantage of that and designed a long version of the campaign taking it right up to 15 battles. Antiochus really did get involved in a huge amount of action, all of the campaign battles are based on historical battles or skirmishes, apart from the Indian stage of the campaign. We know very little about what happened when Antiochus reached India, but I thought the chance of a battle against the Indians was too good an opportunity to miss.

Here are the design notes;

The campaign contains a few new textures:

1) Seleucid cataphract, inspired by some wargame figures I have seen on the internet.

2) Greek Light Horse Javelins, a rough convertion from the original Numidian texture. Since I made this texture I have managed to create an actual Greek Light Horse model, using the vanilla Armoured cavalry model, unfortunately I was not able to include that in this version of the campaign, but it does appear in some of my new scenarios.

3) Eastern Light Horse Javelins, for my new unit which features in some of the armies in this campaign, modified from the original Persian Protected Javelin Cavalry and Eastern Horse Archer textures.

4) Veteran Pike texture for the Seleucids, just the original with purple clothes added.

5) Seleucid Xystophoroi, the original modified to have a variety of different armours and bare arms and legs.

6) Armoured cavalry now have muscle cuirasses and new shields.

7) Thanks to Little Big Men Studios for the shield designs.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Antiochus III campaigns

Post by grumblefish »

Sounds interesting, I will have to check it out. I especially like that you included new textures.
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

I haven't read the parts of the manual relating to modding--so what happens with your textures, are they only loaded for your scenario, or for all scenarios which use those textures, or what? Can we use your textures with other scenarios?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:I haven't read the parts of the manual relating to modding--so what happens with your textures, are they only loaded for your scenario, or for all scenarios which use those textures, or what?
They have to be included in the custom folder (which the engine confusingly calls a "campaign" folder whether it is actually a campaign or not).

However, there will soon be a new system for global mods - which I have not yet had the oppotunity to try. I am not sure if it is in the current .EXE - if not it will be added before long.

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index. ... ting_a_Mod
Can we use your textures with other scenarios?
It is easy enough to do so, if Paul allows it.
Richard Bodley Scott

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

To be clear, global mods ONLY allow you to alter some textures (mainly the unit textures) and the squads file, and nothing else.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Alan Sharif
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Alan Sharif »

I have not yet played it, but wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this. Looking forward to playing the long campaign in the near future.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Alan Sharif wrote:I have not yet played it, but wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this. Looking forward to playing the long campaign in the near future.
I have played it right through and it was great fun.
Richard Bodley Scott

fuzzayd
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fuzzayd »

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for posting. I've been really enjoying this campaign now that I fought through all the base game ones.
JC_von_Preussen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JC_von_Preussen »

Better play the short or the long one ?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

JC_von_Preussen wrote:Better play the short or the long one ?
It just depends on whether you like to play a very long campaign. Some people don't have the patience, others would gladly play on for ever!

The short version is still longer than any of the vanilla campaigns. It only differs from the long version in that it does not cover much of the early battles in Antiochus career, when he and his generals were trying to establish control over the breakaway regions of the empire. It has the same of variety of opponents as the long version. You still get to fight all the exotic armies that Antiochus faced on his eastern anabasis: Armenians, Parthians, Graeco-Bactrians, Indians, and Arabs.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
JC_von_Preussen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JC_von_Preussen »

thank you Paul.

Return to “Field of Glory II”