Would you be a more active player with a LIVE MP mode ?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.

Yes
36%
No
55%
I don't know
9%

Total votes: 66

JC_von_Preussen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JC_von_Preussen »

I'm vaguely sad there is no live MP mode for FoG2 because I'm a clan player in a very active online wargame community, and I would love to confront clanmates but also meet new people on the field, as well as I play the game competetively.

I guess PBEM is way too slow (alhtough it has good aspects) for my taste. If I were a dev, I would urge make live MP availible.
(I would love to spend my every evenings on the discord discussing and fighting battles or having an argument about this or this battle report)

Yet, I very well understand a big part of the community here only plays single player (like in most wargames).

I wanted to start a poll to see how the community feels about MP and if LIVE MP was something that they'd enjoy.

Thank you for the participation. :D
Last edited by JC_von_Preussen on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lapdog666
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Would you be a more active player with a LIVE MP mode ?

Post by lapdog666 »

definatelly. cant wait for Live mode. probably single biggest thing imo that fog 2 needs
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

I voted "no" . PBEM++ by Slitherine is the ideal mirroring for tabletop miniatures wargame, it feels like playing at a table with my pace, i have very little time to even play pbem, but sometimes i can arrange battles with friends at a small pace, live would be impossible for me.
RodyMetal
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by RodyMetal »

The only system that made me back to play multiplayer since my school days is the PBEM, multiplayer wont be an option for me with that system, but I agree adding live option will be good for people with good amount of time with no real life interruptions.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

I too vote no. To one of the main delights in MP in this game is the similarity to tabletop games,long may it continue!
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I don't know. Can you tell us how live MP works on a turn-based game online?
I wish I could play hotseat on one computer with some fan of this game which must be extremely fun, but sadly I have no one to play with.
The AI is giving me enough of a challenge for now anyways.
JC_von_Preussen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JC_von_Preussen »

Thank you all for your participiation in this poll, that's really cool. I did not excpect so many participants actually !!!

@GiveWarAchance :

What can make a turn based LIVE mp game fun is that both player are watching the same map and the same movement in LIVE and talking about it in live. People could also be there watching too. There's usually a bit of suspense and tension, but you can tease your opponent too, talk tactics, try to explain your stupid moves, try to understand why this or this combo could not work... etc, etc, etc. I miss al this.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Okay I voted yes. That does sound fun.
I hope this doesn't burden Byzantine too much though. They've got a lot to handle with multiple games out.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I would never use live mode. The Slitherine PBEM system is super. I can play against anyone in the world when it is convenient for me, and turns just take a few minutes to play.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
lapdog666

Post by lapdog666 »

JC_von_Preussen wrote:Thank you all for your participiation in this poll, that's really cool. I did not excpect so many participants actually !!!

@GiveWarAchance :

What can make a turn based LIVE mp game fun is that both player are watching the same map and the same movement in LIVE and talking about it in live. People could also be there watching too. There's usually a bit of suspense and tension, but you can tease your opponent too, talk tactics, try to explain your stupid moves, try to understand why this or this combo could not work... etc, etc, etc. I miss al this.
this

and u can save and continue any day u want
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

I voted yes because having at least a "lan" feature can't be a bad thing. With FoG I "we" were able to play live on-line games using a free download called Team Viewer. Worked great...have not tried this with FoG II yet, & it may require window mode. I will add..."hotseat" is a blast.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Voted No.
Understand the draw for people who like live MP but the charm for me is I can keep popping back every few mins to my pc when I have free time to pick up multiple games . The pbem system for me is genius
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It is our intent to support both, but it is a non-trivial amount of additional UI and logic to hook it all up (irrespective of the connectivity issues!).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
olin0111
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by olin0111 »

I voted no. The current PBEM system is good enough for me, and by that I actually mean it's very good :) It allows for a leisure-paced gameplay while at the same time it does not prevent an almost live MP matches. By that I mean the players can communicate via forum or whathaveyou and agree beforehand that they will play a battle in one sitting. The upload of turns to the server is very fast so this is definately doable. I just think that the energy used on creating the live MP framework, UI etc. can be better spent elsewhere.
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

I play a few online MMO games in a clan as well. Not sure I would do the same with FOGII since it is turn based anyway. I also play tabletop games so have the gold standard wargaming experience - FTF play 8)

I wonder if you could play live online using the pbem system and TS or Discord? Especially with someone in your clan.
hjc
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by hjc »

Another consideration is that some of us live in very different timezones to the majority. PBEM kind of levels the playing field, so I'm glad PBEM was implemented before live.
Cumandante

Post by Cumandante »

By the way, can someone tell me how to create a multiplayer challenge where I allow my opponent to pick whichever faction he prefers? Pot luck picks a random one, right?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cumandante wrote:By the way, can someone tell me how to create a multiplayer challenge where I allow my opponent to pick whichever faction he prefers? Pot luck picks a random one, right?
Tell him what faction you want to play then let him set up the challenge. Or vice versa.

Currently the player setting up the challenge sets the parameters.
Richard Bodley Scott

Cumandante

Post by Cumandante »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Cumandante wrote:By the way, can someone tell me how to create a multiplayer challenge where I allow my opponent to pick whichever faction he prefers? Pot luck picks a random one, right?
Tell him what faction you want to play then let him set up the challenge. Or vice versa.

Could you perhaps add an "Open" option when picking a faction in multiplayer games? I understand the current system probably wouldn't support it, but maybe if you ever implement a live multiplayer feature you could use the opportunity to add that in.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cumandante wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

Could you perhaps add an "Open" option when picking a faction in multiplayer games? I understand the current system probably wouldn't support it, but maybe if you ever implement a live multiplayer feature you could use the opportunity to add that in.
As you say, the current system would not support it, but it might perhaps be possible to add it at some point.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”