Sandbox Campaign suggestions

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Sandbox Campaign suggestions

Post by MVP7 »

Stuff like returning units, being caught unprepared and big flanking actions are already largely covered by the different mission types but it would be nice to have more control over them in the strategic layer.

Apart from weather, random (or selected) modifiers in battles don't sound particularly interesting, just another layer of RNG. Some conditional (rather than completely random) events could be nice. For example, if the player defeated the enemy very easily in the last battle the enemy might get some extra reinforcements in the next battle or vice versa if the player has been taking heavy losses in multiple battles.

Some feedback and suggestions:

There's the situations where player is given an option to immediately chase the weakened enemy with a part of the army without receiving reinforcements or wait for some reinforcements and fight a full strength enemy. It's really annoying when this event triggers after a hard won battle and it's hard to imagine the strategic situation where it would be smart or necessary to attack with either worse or even worse odds against an enemy that you just barely managed to beat the last time. It would be much more fitting if hard battles were followed by defensive or baggage train missions rather than picking between reckless or even more reckless follow up attack.

Even after a successful first battle, following up by chasing down the enemy with just a part of your army seems pointless in the context of the campaign. There's nothing to be gained by rushing the next attack as your odds are almost certainly better after waiting for the reinforcements and you don't gain anything by skipping the chance to reinforce at least some of your forces and unavoidably suffering even more losses that need to be replaced later. There really should be some kind of meaningful reward for taking the additional risk.

Another issues is when player is offered a choice between waiting for reinforcements from home or reinforcements from ally. The difference in the point cost of received reinforcements is rather negligible and largely offset by the randomness of the allies and complete lack of reinforcements for your own old units if you pick the allies. It's just not worth it unless you won the last battle with next to no losses (and even if you did, there's still a good chance that some individual units have taken heavy losses). The option to pick allies would be a lot more tempting if at least some of the losses were replenished when picking ally reinforcements.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote:
Another issues is when player is offered a choice between waiting for reinforcements from home or reinforcements from ally. The difference in the point cost of received reinforcements is rather negligible and largely offset by the randomness of the allies and complete lack of reinforcements for your own old units if you pick the allies. It's just not worth it unless you won the last battle with next to no losses (and even if you did, there's still a good chance that some individual units have taken heavy losses). The option to pick allies would be a lot more tempting if at least some of the losses were replenished when picking ally reinforcements.
One of the newer choices is exactly that, although it has not been retro-fitted to the older historically-based campaigns.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
MVP7 wrote:
One of the newer choices is exactly that, although it has not been retro-fitted to the older historically-based campaigns.
Is there actually an option to take allied reinforcements with some of the earlier losses still being replaced?

I had this event in sandbox campaign and the only options were to either reinforce from home or take the allies with no replacements for my own units at all. It's a good event but not getting any reinforcements to the old units is pretty harsh most of the time. I had only taken 5% total losses in the previous battle but since those losses had been from just a few units, I was left with all of my cavalry and half of my skirmishers badly weakened. Would be nice if you got at least some reinforcements (wounded getting better, earlier sent replacements joining the force etc) even when picking the allies option. On this particular occasion I did get some really nice Noble Lancers and light infantry which I sorely needed from my Gallic/German allies but it's not an option I would pick most of the time.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:
MVP7 wrote:
Is there actually an option to take allied reinforcements with some of the earlier losses still being replaced?

Yes. There are now two possible events - in one you get to replace losses and then spend any remaining points on allies, in the other you spend all the points on allies and get no replacements.
I had this event in sandbox campaign and the only options were to either reinforce from home or take the allies with no replacements for my own units at all.

That is a different event. The other one is one of the new additions.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

Ok thanks, That new event sounds great!
Ktonos
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ktonos »

If you know, you probably do, GMT's board game Successors, I believe these mechanics, simplified, would perfectly fit Field of Glory 2.

While it being map based, it really has nothing to do with moving blocks of numbers from this area to the next, occupying this region and evacuating another.
Campaigning players would have one stack, their general, and maybe under circumstances a second minor one. Opponents would spend their turns either consolidating their support in local points of interest, maneuvering to engage, intercept or evade one another, besieging cities etc. Card play from the board game could be simplified to dice rolls and enhanced by the decision system FoG already has. Maps could be randomised but players could choose a campaign were "Romans invade Gaul" and have each point of interest be a map of the Northern European set. And even choose to play the defender.

I don't know if the company has already completely departed from the idea of a more board game-ish campaign, if so disregard.

As I said in a previous thread, my personal opinion is that the decision campaign is a solid choice, and only needs to be populated with more critical decisions, and maybe with more than 2 options.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Thank you for the upgrades to these campaigns like the length up to 15 battles, matching dates with army lists, and better autodeploy and especially being able to continue after a defeat with both sides still bruised are very good improvements.
matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Thanks for the new campaign choises and system: it is great!

Can we imagine more importance for the general in campaing system: I mean, I like a carrier mod in which I will choose the name of my general (C in C) and the campaign end if he died. Then if he is injured, we can have a malus for the next battle (less command range, more troop deserts...)

Also, can we have a end of the last battle in campaing only when I killed or capture the C-in-C?

Then, the C-in-C could be in a special unit like light horse, I think the general must have horse and be in a very fast little unit
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I like the C-in-C to be a historical unit, which is usually an elite heavy cavalry unit like Alexander the Great leading the companions and Caesar liked being on horse.
But for some barbarian clans, I like the leader to be a superior warband like Harold at the Hastings battle.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

matlegob wrote:Then, the C-in-C could be in a special unit like light horse, I think the general must have horse and be in a very fast little unit
We assume that the general and his immediate bodyguards are indeed mounted, whatever the unit type he is currently with. That is why he can move 4 squares when he changes the unit he is with.
Richard Bodley Scott

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

rbodleyscott wrote:
matlegob wrote:Then, the C-in-C could be in a special unit like light horse, I think the general must have horse and be in a very fast little unit
We assume that the general and his immediate bodyguards are indeed mounted, whatever the unit type he is currently with. That is why he can move 4 squares when he changes the unit he is with.
That makes sens and its appeara to be very logic: thanks
matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

When I loose a battle with my rearguard, I like to not have to play this battle again; maybe a lesse reinforcement for the next batle of my main army; idem for loose battle with a allied army
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Not entirely sure what you mean by losing a battle with your rearguard, as there are no rearguard battles in the campaigns.
Richard Bodley Scott

GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

In some cases, you have the choise of fighting with your main army without any reinforcement or fighting with your rearguard
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

matlegob wrote:In some cases, you have the choise of fighting with your main army without any reinforcement or fighting with your rearguard
I am sorry but I don't recognise this choice.
Richard Bodley Scott

TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

Hi Richard, I may be wrong but i think thats a TT Mod Sandbox modification to the campaign
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote:Hi Richard, I may be wrong but i think thats a TT Mod Sandbox modification to the campaign
Unlikely, as TT Mod Sandbox does not include modded campaign scripts.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”