Campaign Game

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Campaign Game

Post by DirkW »

Are there any improvements in the campaign game planed? In Sengoku Jidei it was just capturing provinces.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Campaign Game

Post by rbodleyscott »

DirkW wrote:Are there any improvements in the campaign game planed? In Sengoku Jidei it was just capturing provinces.
Indeed.

For FOG2 we have abandoned the concept of map campaigns, and instead implement campaigns as a sequence of linked battles. Thus we keep the good part (the battles, with core forces gaining experience from battle to battle) but dispense with the less interesting part. This has also allowed us to create more variety in the battles.
Richard Bodley Scott

DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DirkW »

But I found there was at least some form of emersion by having a map. Now this is abstracted like in an "ordinary" table top game. I can´t say that i am happy with that, right now.
Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Searry »

Do you mean a campaign like in Ultimate General Civil War?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Searry wrote:Do you mean a campaign like in Ultimate General Civil War?
I am afraid I am not familiar with that game.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mirek69
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Mirek69 »

What decisions, orders are available from battle to battle ?
My channel : www.youtube.com/user/Uszatek444/feed
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mirek69 wrote:What decisions, orders are available from battle to battle ?
I can't reveal that at this stage.
Richard Bodley Scott

Mirek69
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Mirek69 »

OK :)
My channel : www.youtube.com/user/Uszatek444/feed
Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii »

Ummm with the nature of the combats (from my experience from old FOG) battles are to much orientated to masacre enemy... diference is how much troops you lose before the other army cracks.

I remember as a good system the Alexander-Cesar titles from Tin Soldiers... something similar here could be interesting but using FOG army list system... for example you start with average-poor troops and with victories you "win" veteran units... even elite, expanding your army customization ability (new troops, buy mercenary units...).

Let see how work the campaign feature and if could be used for human VS human.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

But I found there was at least some form of emersion by having a map. Now this is abstracted like in an "ordinary" table top game. I can´t say that i am happy with that, right now.
Yeah - I liked the map too. Despite the system's simplicity, I thought it was more realistic than most "serious" strategic wargames, thanks to the hard logistic limits and the ability of the weaker side to evade a pitched battle. The ping-ponging may have been frustrating for some players, but it reflected the ebb and flow of a lot of 17th century campaigns. I was looking forward to seeing how you might develop it.
DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DirkW »

I was hoping for a Total War like map with diplomacy and such but seems I have to wait further.
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

In my opinion, the "map campaign" (even the sandbox one) is interesting if the game encompasses just a brief time in history or, at least, a small amount of changes in the way to wage war in that region; so, pike and shot is perfect and even sengoku jidai is ok with the "map campaign", and i love them, i always play them.

However, considering that FOG II (being named from the tabletop itself) will have army lists from rome, to anglo saxons, vikings, communal italians, 100 ywar armies and early renaissance, i think that a "sort of Steel Panthers random campaign" (only linked battles, maybe with some text choice) is an excellent idea.
DirkW
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DirkW »

I don´t thing that FOG II will have any other armies than that of antiquity from 280 BC to 30 BC (stated in the game stats). So for them a map of the mediterranian world would be possible.
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

This fog ii will indeed have only classic armies, but it is my opinion that, maybe, new army lists will show up following fog tabletop.
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

First, this game looks absolutely fantastic. Probably one of the only instabuys on the horizon. Can't wait!

One question--I've read about the campaign game and the sandbox campaigns, but if people want to create their own campaign systems will it be possible to save an army at the end of a battle and import it for use in a subsequent battle (after editing to reflect replacements, etc.)? If we have this feature (or something like it), people can create whatever campaign systems they'd like, which I think would add a lot to the game.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:One question--I've read about the campaign game and the sandbox campaigns, but if people want to create their own campaign systems will it be possible to save an army at the end of a battle and import it for use in a subsequent battle (after editing to reflect replacements, etc.)? If we have this feature (or something like it), people can create whatever campaign systems they'd like, which I think would add a lot to the game.
You mean to allow the campaign strategic part to be done on paper?

We don't currently have such a feature. It would not be a simple thing to implement, but I can see it would be useful. One day perhaps.

Meanwhile, it is relatively easy to set up custom campaigns using the in-game system - it just requires cloning one of the existing historical campaigns and editing a text file. No programming required.
Richard Bodley Scott

76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks for your quick response...

What I mean is that there are probably almost as many preferred campaign formats/structures/features as there are players. While some players will undoubtedly prefer whatever is included in the game, others might want to use some sort of paper, system, still others might want to use this game to resolve tactical battles generated by some other strategic level game (board or computer), and yet others might want to create their own in-depth strategic layer.

In my view, the most important feature for being able to (i) save formations after tactical battles; (ii) edit them to reflect any necessary changes, or the results of combat at the strategic level not gamed at the tactical level; and (iii) importing those units back into tactical battles when needed.

When you say that when you can set up custom campaigns, does that mean that you can add units, change maps, or what.

Thanks again for any feedback on this issue.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

76mm wrote:When you say that when you can set up custom campaigns, does that mean that you can add units, change maps, or what.
You can set up multi-battle campaigns that work in the same way as the built-in campaigns - these do not use maps, but consist of a series of connected battles with strategic decisions in between. The player's core units progress from one battle to the next, gaining experience.

As you say, this is only one way of doing a campaign, and there are many others.

The facilities you propose could be created, but would require alterations to the engine. There is already a very long wishlist for additions to the engine, over which we as developers do not have direct control, so I would not expect it to be possible to implement these features any time soon.
Richard Bodley Scott

76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks again for your response. Can you tell us whether the game data will be stored in some sort of XML format which would allow players to develop these tools on their own?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I'm not 100% sure what 76mm is looking for, but for a "continuing campaign" outside the system I think a snapshot of all your units after a battle, showing their state of moral at the end plus casualties would be helpful, be it an export or if the info is readily found in the saved game files or whatnot.

Return to “Field of Glory II”