Graphics scale

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Graphics scale

Post by TDefender »

rbodleyscott wrote:
There is no rear support bonus as such,

It is worth noting that FOG2 is not in any way an evolution of FOG1, it is a complete reboot directly from the tabletop rules. The changes from the tabletop rules that have been made to make the game work well on the computer are different from those in FOG1.
Well with all due respect no rear support bonus is really not a great news, I'm just hoping Fog 2 is not just P&S with better ancient era textures. :? Don't get me wrong: Pike and Shot is a great game , I personally would have expected (and hoped) an evolution towards XVIII or XIX era warfare... I don't feel so sure about "merging" P&S engine and the ancient era, I think FoG rules set is good enough, a simple FOG with upgraded graphics (no, definitely not what FoG unity did :? ) would have been enough...
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TDefender wrote:I'm just hoping Fog 2 is not just P&S with better ancient era textures.
It isn't. But it isn't just FOG1 with better graphics either. Expect some things to be different. (Better, of course, but we appreciate that not every FOG1 old hand will agree with every difference).
Richard Bodley Scott

Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii »

Thanks for the info.

Well, in FOG1 if you were a pike fanboy the rear support bonus was a must have, a way to give value to poor pike units saving points for other toys (i loved invest in heavy cavalry on this armies... that ptolomeic ummm).

I am not in tabletop rules but i asume if is not rear support bonus have a line of heavy units have some kind of "front" bonus... if you have one flank covered by other heavy unit +1 if you have both flanks with heavy units +2

The problem i have with squares is how hard is create with them corners in your line formations and that have units behind first line force you leave one square of separation to prevent blocking.

I like see med infantry more usefull, in FOG1 was a thing that for me limit the army options and was some cool med infantry units like thracians of scutariis.
XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 »

Hi!
1) How can distinguish medium infantry from heavy infantry if both units for 8 figures?
2) Would it be possible to combine 2 units of spearmen, increasing the depth of the 1 unit?
3) Would it be possible to divide 1 unit of pikemen for 2 more thin units?
4) May be you can make it so Medium Cavalry (Light spears Cavalry and Camalry) will contain 3 figures, and Heavy Cavalry (Lance Cavalry, Cataphracts, Knight) will contain 4 figures?
5) Is it possible to do a not linear placement of figures in the unit to display warbands, medium cavalry, camelry, skirmishers, mobs and undrilled heavy infantry?
6) With the loss of figures in the unit is decreases the power from each of the lost figures?
Thanks.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

1) How can distinguish medium infantry from heavy infantry if both units for 8 figures?
The figures are distinctive, and you can see the troop-type by mousing over the unit. 1 figure = 60 men.
2) Would it be possible to combine 2 units of spearmen, increasing the depth of the 1 unit?
Not to combine 2 units, but the system would allow deep units of spearmen, if the period justified them. e.g. Thebans at Leuktra, and shallow units for the Athenian centre at Marathon.
The system would allow such units, although there are none at present.
4) May be you can make it so Medium Cavalry (Light spears Cavalry and Camalry) will contain 3 figures, and Heavy Cavalry (Lance Cavalry, Cataphracts, Knight) will contain 4 figures?
Each figure represents 60 men, so there is no reason for lancers to have more figures than light spear cavalry. The figures are easy to tell apart anyway.
5) Is it possible to do a not linear placement of figures in the unit to display warbands, medium cavalry, camelry, skirmishers, mobs and undrilled heavy infantry?
Warbands and skirmishers have more untidy ranks than regular units.
6) With the loss of figures in the unit is decreases the power from each of the lost figures?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

Interesting... then compared with FOG in FOGII units that suffer casualties lose combat power??? This was one of the most freak things in FOG, when an unit heavy damage, closer to break was capable to stand VS fresh units when the gods of dices decide you cant defeat it :cry:

Maybe something to diference between diferent unit types is not a bad idea... apart visual models... maybe use the unit flags... one dot to represent light, 2 to represent medium and 3 to represent heavy... and for armor maybe add to flag bars, no bar no armor, one bar light armor, 2 bars medium armor and 3 heavy armor... i see bars in horizontal position in the bottom of the flag and dots over this.
TDefender

Post by TDefender »

Will there be some distinctive formation such "testudo" , "shiltron" etc? More in general, what kind of brand new gameplay/rules features we are going to experience in battle? Thks :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TDefender wrote:Will there be some distinctive formation such "testudo" , "shiltron" etc? More in general, what kind of brand new gameplay/rules features we are going to experience in battle? Thks :)
Testudo was a siege formation, not really a battlefield formation. We haven't got to the period of Scottish schiltrons yet, so we will have to see.
Richard Bodley Scott

XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
The figures are distinctive, and you can see the troop-type by mousing over the unit. 1 figure = 60 men.
Disagree. In the same area may placed a different number of people in close formation (heavy infantry) and the free formation (medium infantry). Following this logic, light infantry must be 8 figures too, but this unit have only 4 figures.
rbodleyscott wrote:
Not to combine 2 units, but the system would allow deep units of spearmen, if the period justified them. e.g. Thebans at Leuktra, and shallow units for the Athenian centre at Marathon.
Will I be able to choose the number of figures in the unit in this case (8 or 12 or 16)? The Greek Hoplite armies were often doubled, tripled, etc. the depth of the unit, depending on the need.
rbodleyscott wrote:
The system would allow such units, although there are none at present.
Sometimes the phalanx reduced the depth of squad to increase the length of the front.
rbodleyscott wrote:
Each figure represents 60 men, so there is no reason for lancers to have more figures than light spear cavalry. The figures are easy to tell apart anyway.
Disagree. In the same area may placed a different number of riders in close formation (heavy cavalry) and the free formation (medium cavalry). Following this logic, light cavalry must have 4 figures too, but this unit have only 2 figures.
rbodleyscott wrote:
Warbands and skirmishers have more untidy ranks than regular units.
I think that in not line units (cavalry, camalry, mobs and undrilled troops) must have more untidy ranks than regular units (as warbands). I think, that your warbands still look so linear. May be worth to do more untidy for this units?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thank you for your feedback.
Richard Bodley Scott

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Aryaman wrote:Hi Richard,
In the picture of Macedonian vs Indian I think I see Light cavalry riding white horses vs dark horses for hvy cavalry, as an additional distinction, right?
I'll give you a hesitant ... yes. Its really just so that from a distance you get a vague feel for the strength of your units. Same as we use the quality of the costume to suggest the quality of the foot soldier elite are bright and colourfull, The less elite get progressively drabber. .. but its only a suggestion. The nature of the different types of costumes sometimes forces a different direction so sometimes you'll still need to drill down.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 »

How many figures will be in the First Cohort legionaries unit?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

XOPT13 wrote:How many figures will be in the First Cohort legionaries unit?

The first cohort was larger in the Imperial period.

Evidence is lacking for the first cohort being larger in the Late Republican period.
Richard Bodley Scott

XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 »

How many figures will be in the First Cohort legionaries unit in the Imperial period (in future addons)? :-)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

XOPT13 wrote:How many figures will be in the First Cohort legionaries unit in the Imperial period (in future addons)? :-)
As yet undecided. However, It may not be sensible to represent them as a double strength unit because the frontage of the unit would then occupy two squares, and we do not plan to have units occupying more than one square.

Representing them as an extra depth unit would not be realistic either.
Richard Bodley Scott

XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 »

rbodleyscott wrote: As yet undecided. However, It may not be sensible to represent them as a double strength unit because the frontage of the unit would then occupy two squares, and we do not plan to have units occupying more than one square.
Representing them as an extra depth unit would not be realistic either.
Why you don't want have 12-16 figures in the First Cohort legionaries unit?
The unit takes a conditional square of terrain, I think, the figures don't display the real length or the depth of the squad.

Return to “Field of Glory II”