Later Myceneans vs Later Hebrew

Forum for anyone to post reports of their battles and pictures, otherwise known as After Action Reports.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Vespasian28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Later Myceneans vs Later Hebrew

Post by Vespasian28 »

Just a quick AAR on the Later Myceneans first outing at the club having finished them Thursday. 800 pts vs Later Hebrews, slightly anachronistic by about 200 years but biblical armies are pretty similar. Apologies for the photography as I forgot my tripod.
The Myceneans won the PBI and elected for hilly as I was bit worried about his heavy chariots which was a bit of a cock up on my part as he couldn’t have any for the date we agreed. As is usual when I want terrain to hide in it all landed in my opponents half, including an impassable lake, excepting one small area of broken ground.

The Hebrew line had one unit of chariots to the right of a large steep hill which was about to be occupied by spearmen then the Gibborim and a line of more spearmen anchored on their left by a unit of Arab camels fronted by masses of LF archers. Out of shot to the left of the lake, around an area of brush, were more slingers and spearmen overlapping the Mycenean line.

The Mycenean left was two units of four chariots then another of six fronted by some LF archers. The Myrmidons were then followed in line by two units of spearmen, another six chariots and then two units of Nestors troops to hold the right of the line.
Not fancying taking on the camels or Gibborim from their chariots the two units of six charioteers dismounted to bolster the line.
The Hebrews had first move and sent forward their chariots, archers and the forces on their far left, including the camels,to get onto the Mycenean flank. The Achaians responded by sending their whole line forward, Nestor’s troops angling to protect the right and the remaining chariots toward the sole Hebrew chariot unit.

The Hebrew chariot must have been worried by the prospect of shooting from the LF so charged straight in. The lights evaded and the Hebrews thundered into the two Mycenean chariot units who despite having LS lost the impact with one unit becoming disrupted and losing a base. Not a good start.
The Myceneans pushed forward in the centre behind their javelinmen and arrows and javelins filled the sky to no avail to either side as hits were hard to come by.

So, the Myceneans withdrew their lights and closed up ready to charge in just as the Hebrew shooting got better and disrupted the dismounted charioteers facing the Gibborim on the left.

This forced Agamemnon to leave the Myrmidons to try and hold the charioteers from charging in before they were rallied. The rest of the Achaians though charged , drove off the lights and hit the Hebrew line.

However, this did not go well as even the Myrmidons and dismounted Charioteers failed to make an impact against the Hebrew spearmen bolstered by their CinC and it was a Mycenean unit that had to take a CT and passed just but lost a casualty.

Likewise the chariots, despite outnumbering the Hebrews, were making heavy going of it losing another base and failing to get the one more needed to break the opposition.

Eventually though the numbers told and the Hebrews broke and were destroyed in the pursuit, their general escaping to join the spearmen on the hill.

In the centre Achilles decided to get stuck in with a unit of Mycenean spearmen and here, in the melee phase, the steady spears started to make inroads into the Hebrew line with the Myrmidons and charioteers leading the way. The Hebrew line creaked, cracked and finally gave way as two units were routed and the unit with the Hebrew CinC was being chewed up by the Myrmidons even without Achilles presence.

At that point we ran out of time but it was a 6-0 win to the Later Myceneans. As it turned out the terrain worked in their favour as the extra Hebrew units could not get around the lake in time and Nestor’s spearmen were blocking that flank anyway. The Gibborim remained unengaged as Agamemnon managed to rally the dismounted charioteers facing them and prevented them from charging in which suited the Myceneans.

Return to “Field of Glory AAR's”