Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - Dev Diary #10 'Hostile Environments'

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - Dev Diary #10 'Hostile Environments'

Post by AlbertoC »

“I can’t do that, Lucinda. You understand why I need you here.”
Arthur McKennelly was sincere, soft, and perhaps the only person in the Admiralty Lucinda Cain could foster a kind thought for. He strolled the hallways of Daidalos like a kindly uncle, sharing smiles and half salutes to the personnel they passed. Even the overbearing presence of Ragnar’s storm clouds couldn’t shake his good nature. Cain wanted nothing more right now than to knock him to the floor. One right hook ought to do it.
“Tell me where Sarkis is,”she said.
“We don’t know.”
“And Lampros?”
“He…he is not getting better, no.”
“What does this pin on my uniform mean, if not that I’m the most qualified person to be in Picon right now.”
Arthur at least had the decency to look embarrassed. “We need this Jupiter Project online if we want to keep the Quorum onside.”
“Babysitting mechanics in the back end of nowhere, just so we can hand the frakking ships over to a bunch farmers and politicians! Some of them don’t even think the Cylons are a real threat!”
The outburst sent a couple of deck crew scurrying out of the hallway. McKennelly wandered aside into a shadowy alcove. “I get it, Lucinda. I do. Just give me time to get the transition plan in order.”
Cain did not follow him into the dark corner. “Get me off this spinning coffin, Arthur.”
“I will, I will. HQ isn’t going anywhere, I promise.”

We are well into development of the next update for Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, and have some great new additions coming to the game. Today we want to share some information about one of the new additions - environmental hazards.

As the game is now, the locations where battles take place have a limited impact on the result. There are asteroids and gas clouds, but they are mostly cosmetic, and unless your ships collide with an asteroid, the environment has little bearing on who wins the battle.

With the next update, that will change. We will be introducing a number of environment elements that will open up new strategic possibilities when engaging the enemy.

Dust Nebula

Dust nebula interfere with guidance systems on missiles, and targeting systems of capital ships. A capital ship that enters a dust nebula can’t be targeted with guided munitions, and might be harder to hit with guns. However whilst inside the Nebula that same ship can’t target enemies and has reduced accuracy firing with its own weapons.

Asteroid Clouds

Asteroid clouds are clusters of tiny rocks that aren’t big or dense enough to affect capital ships, but will impede squadrons and missiles. Squadron speed and evasion is reduced, and missiles can potentially detonate prematurely.

Ionized Nebula

Somewhat similar to the storm clouds of Ragnar, ionized nebula crackle with lightning and ionised gas. A more dangerous version of the dust nebula, ionized nebula will damage subsystems on capitals, and cause hull damage to squadrons.

Satellites

In more colonised locations, operational satellites networks may still be present. A networked satellite can be captured to give a subsystem boost to ship that secures it, but be aware; the Cylons are just as capable of securing the satellites themselves, and can use the network to coordinate their reinforcements sooner.

These new environmental elements will be present in the random encounters and resource missions, as well as in single-player and multiplayer skirmishes.

Making the environment (space) a more active element adds another dimension to the battles of Battlestar Galactica Deadlock. They will add to the dynamism of even the simplest encounters, and throw new opportunities and threats into the mix. There will be a lot more for commanders to take into account when slugging it out against the Cylons in the coming update. Until next time.

So say we all!
fisher2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - Dev Diary #10 'Hostile Environments'

Post by fisher2000 »

Love the idea of nebula's. It gives me serious flashbacks of the battle of the Ionian nebula in season 3. Hopefully we will get another story adaptation along side this so I can throw my money at that ? Great work!
Rebel Yell
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - Dev Diary #10 'Hostile Environments'

Post by Rebel Yell »

Variety is wonderful, but I hope nebulae and clouds will be fairly rare as fighting in them will get old quickly.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”