How does the GOG version Battlestar Galactica work with Matrix patches

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
saucy007
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

How does the GOG version Battlestar Galactica work with Matrix patches

Post by saucy007 »

Since this was my first ever purchase outside the Steam/Slitherine/Matrix group, do patches and hotfixes (if there ever are any) work on the GOG version? Since as mentioned first time, want to know what I am giving up by going with GOG instead of one of the 3 choices above, scenarios, campaigns, user mods, saved games, patches/hotfixes etc.

Thank you

I turned to the dark side, for one game!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: How does the GOG version Battlestar Galactica work with Matrix patches

Post by VPaulus »

All the patches or hotfixes must be downloaded via GoG, so the patches available in the member's area or published in the forum are just for the Slitherine/Matrix stand alone versions.
saucy007

Post by saucy007 »

Is there something done that makes them incompat? I know obviously with Steam it is their client interface. So does GOG change things to their name or something? Just seems silly that there are well 3 versions of the patch. I have noticed that occuring with many games these days, 1 GOG, 1 Steam, 1 Uplay, 1 Origin and so on. Wish there was a way to keep it to no more than 2, like 1 Steam and 1 universal or even a Steam patch that detects the game is not running in Steam and therefore makes adjustments or jumps to a different line of setup. Not blaming you. Just wish all companies would make it easier. Then we can tackle the Steam vs Non-Steam issue. So if you buy the game lets say on GOG or Matrix it can be officially installed if desired into Steam (I guess like giving the codes out for some games to be installed in Steam like Panzer Corps.).
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I cannot go into details but as far as I know, it's related with how the Steam and GoG clients works.
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

GOG couldn't directly support or maintain installers made by another party so they use their own standard installers for all products. Steam, Origin and Uplay don't use use or support traditional patch installers at all so there are no separate patches for them.

A gog patch might install over a slitherine version of the game and vice versa but it's inviting for trouble and there's no reason to do so.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”