Washed-Out Viper/Ship Highlights in Console Campaign (bug?)

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
Ianevans
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Washed-Out Viper/Ship Highlights in Console Campaign (bug?)

Post by Ianevans »

Huge fan of the game here and enjoying a replay of the campaign on my PS4 with the new Broken Alliance Expansion. But I wanted to ask about something that I couldn't help but notice and I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it's by design.

In skirmish mode, the highlights on Colonial ships tend to be a bright orange-red, along with the highlights on the nose and wings of Vipers. It really pops and seems pretty spot on as far as how they looked in canon, especially the Vipers.

However, in the single player campaign, Colonial capital ships have highlights which tend to be an almost faded blood red. This wasn't bad, and I thought that maybe it sort of made sense with the cosmetic effect of the persistent damage feature that makes ships have a more used, beaten-up look (which I love, by the way). BUT, then I look at the campaign's Vipers. The highlights are this washed out, gray/black stripe on the nose and wings that looks really dull and frankly makes them look ugly.

I don't know if that's by design or not, but it doesn't make much sense to me. I'm more inclined to say its a bug because it just looks like what the system would default to when the ship isn't "assigned" a color like in skirmish mode. And I know that the campaign makes use of different color highlights for Colonial ships because all of the SDU ships have yellow highlights, so it strikes me that this would be an easy fix to include in a future patch if this was a bug. I guess I just wanted to either alert the developers about it or get some sort of response for why this choice was made for the campaign, because maybe it's nitpicky but I think its a cosmetic feature that detracts from the immersion and presentation, especially when I'm watching the battle replays and the autocam focuses on the Vipers and the highlights just make the model look extremely dull and unlike the beautiful Vipers we all know and love. Anyone from Slitherine want to share their thoughts on this?
GHawkins
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Washed-Out Viper/Ship Highlights in Console Campaign (bu

Post by GHawkins »

Back in the beta, I brought up the same point. The red livery on the vipers was almost grey when watching the autocam footage.

The devs followed up on it and it appears that it's actually the result of the "light" coming from the star. Some maps you'll fight on have a more blue-ish hue, others more reddish-orange. Almost all skirmish maps are with an orange star in the backdrop.

Perhaps that's just what's happening again.
The aforementioned post is made in accordance with the canon where the Valkyrie-class is a modern battlestar which has no place in the first Cylon War timeline. So say we all.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”