Cerastes gunship pilots - do they know how to fly?

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
ebarnabas
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Cerastes gunship pilots - do they know how to fly?

Post by ebarnabas »

Hi there

New to the game and really enjoying it. Have just bought both the expansions, and have had a couple of battles in the campaign with this tough little ship. But on both occasions I have encountered them, at least two of them have been wiped out by colliding with friendly (Cylon) ships. Have I just been lucky, or do the pilots of these ships find navigation difficult?
Asap
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Cerastes gunship pilots - do they know how to fly?

Post by Asap »

I observed the same. Cerastes do collide from time to time.
"The sun is new each day" Heraclitus
Ken Hagler

Post by Ken Hagler »

The AI is terrible at collision avoidance, to the point that I'm not sure it even has any collision avoidance. The seem to rely entirely on starting placement being far enough apart that they don't hit each other, but the Cerastes (and to a lesser extent the Nemesis, which also has this problem) are maneuverable enough to overcome the starting separation and collide anyway.
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

After 85 campaign battles I have seen the Cylon ships collide with each other only once (two Nemeses). I have also had couple collisions myself where the paths were not displayed red but I don't think it's much of an issue.
SiegeRollout
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SiegeRollout »

I observe Cerastes collide with friendly (Cylon) ships probably 1/5 missions. They are frightening maneuverable, tough to hit, and deadly accurate with their guns. Their tendency to smash into themselves and heavier Cylon cap ships is their greatest weakness, to the point I can maneuver my Vipers just outside their gun range to where I can occasionally cause an intentional collision.

Collisions among other Cylon ships is maybe 1/40 missions, maybe even less. They seem to actively avoid each other. For example, if there is a Talon in front of a Revenant at the same "altitude", and I attack the Talon's engines from astern with Vipers causing it to lose Navigation and slow down, the Revenant on the next Turn will change course to avoid the collision. The Cerastes seem to change course wildly, often chasing Vipers, but they seem to do so without the AI checking for collisions.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”