BSG Deadlock: Dev Diary #5 - The Cost of War

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
Muso
Slitherine
Slitherine

BSG Deadlock: Dev Diary #5 - The Cost of War

Post by Muso »

Jubal Sarkis pushed against the hand that held him in place. It did not move. “I’m unarmed, Clothos,” he said, gingerly talking around his bloodied lip. He side-eyed the Centurion holding him in place. “I couldn’t hurt you if I tried.”

“That was never my concern.” The IL stood at a workbench, an overflowing centrepiece in the otherwise spartan chamber. There was a slow, wet sound as the Cylon pulled something apart. “My concern for you is more … material.” Red dripped slowly to the floor.

“Let Galactica go. I will stay here as your hostage.”

Clothos turned. The mask watched him, unmoving. “You believe that is still a choice to be made.” The synthetic returned its attention to the meticulous work before it. “There will be no negotiation with Cylon Command. They are unaware of your presence aboard Avalon. They are unaware of Avalon, for that matter.”

Sarkis thought quickly. “You’re hiding.”

“I am working, Admiral. It would be best for us all that I continue to do so.”

Attention, nuggets! We’ve got fresh intel straight from SIGINT that you might want to cast your eyes over.

Instead of a broad overview of the forthcoming update, today we want to deep-dive into a new feature coming soon to Deadlock.

Persistent Damage.
The next time you start up a new campaign of Deadlock with the soon-to-be-released patch, you’ll notice some new features. One of these, as we alluded to in our previous Dev Diary #4 - Wear & Tear, is the concept of persistent damage.

The label beside the checkbox gives us a succinct description of the new system. Damage on capital units will persist between battles until repaired. Combined with the dramatic damage visualisations, this system is going to create a new experience for both long-time and new Battlestar Galactica Deadlock players.

Repairing the Damage

With the new Persistent Damage system, any capital ship that takes damage to armour or hull will have that damage carry over to the next battle if left unrepaired. Luckily for us, Colonial Fleet has one of the most effective mobile shipyards at its disposal.

Damage received by a unit will be repairable from the War Room with the new Repair Ship UI (under construction). Armour and hull are repaired by spending tylium. With this UI, you can choose which sectors to strategically repair if your coffers are a little low due to a less-than accommodating Quorum.

The cost of repairing a unit will vary depending on the fleet’s location. If the fleet is in proximity of the Daidalos station, it will have full access to the engineering crews and docks and repair costs will be minimal. Alternately, if the unit is part of an expeditionary force holding down one of Helena’s starlane locations, the repair bill will be higher due to the scarcity of resources and labourers.

Additionally, units assigned to Daidalos Fleet Group will receive an amount of repairs automatically for free. This adds a new strategic consideration about whether to keep Daidalos safe at Ragnar, or out on the front line amongst the colonies.

Another feature of this UI is the ability to adjust your munition and squadron slot loadouts from the War Room. This means you will no longer have to wait for the FTL Insertion screen before outfitting your fleets with your newly acquired MkIIs or nukes. Note: the resupply cost for the new loadout is still deducted at the start of a new mission.

Hardship Builds Character
As an optional feature for all new campaigns, Persistent Damage adds a new strategic element to the Deadlock campaign. But it’s about more than just keeping your ships afloat.

With this new persistency between battles, you will also be given more historical data about each unit’s performance. Confirmed kills will be recorded, as will each of the missions the unit has partaken in. This will help communicate the veterancy of your ships as you continue your story of Colonial Fleet during the First Cylon War.

We’re really looking forward to the release of this new feature with the next update, along with a whole swathe of bugfixes and balancing updates. In the meantime, keep the torpedoes and bullets flying! So say we all!
Rebel Yell
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: BSG Deadlock: Dev Diary #5 - The Cost of War

Post by Rebel Yell »

All welcome updates.

Looking forward to seeing what else is in the patch.
LORD BLACKFIRE
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by LORD BLACKFIRE »

2 questions:
1) Does this update apply to the Xbox version as well as the PC version?
2) Will this update finally patch in multiplayer on the Xbox, and if not, when can Xbox players expect to get multiplayer functionality?
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

LORD BLACKFIRE

1. Yes.
2. MP in Xbox One has been a *lot* harder than expected and is still a work in progress. We are working with MS to get it working, however I don't want to commit to whether it will be in this update or not just yet.

Thanks for your patience.
Paul Turbett - Game Director - Black Lab Games
twitter.com/blacklabgames
BossDos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by BossDos »

chillibeef

Post by chillibeef »

are there any plan to add the ability to rename ship and fleets to the console version of the game as keeping track of what fleet is what and where it is. has started to get difficult. especially as ship start in there own fleet and it increases the fleet number. as ship do not automatically take the lowest number available even when the ship I have built have joined another fleet.
Vaderan

Post by Vaderan »

This persistent feature sounds interesting. I brings additional depths and strategical aspects to the game. However, i really would like to see it have additional impact to the campaign, more than just cosmetics, a potential "damage malus" if repairs cannot be done before the next battle, and a "battle history".

Since this persistant damage system offers a bunch of oportunities, why not make use of it? Why not persistant damage on (sub-)systems aswell? In addition, add a "veteran" status system for those ships.

Right now, ships in a campaign are exchangable, even expandable. Most of us start with small fleets of Corvettes and Adamants, and these small vessels bear the brunt of our first (dozen?) battles. With the campaign progressing, the requirement for those ships reduce and they sooner or later end up in fleetgroups without further usage.
We already have a kind of skill/XP system for fleetcommanders, why don´t add something similar to ships/ship crews. Shipcrews could gain experience, which increases the crews effectiveness on ships performance. Weapon accuracy, dradis range, menuverability, the ability to compensate on performance losses on damaged subsystems, etc.. In addition to the "battle history" of each ship, it would add so much more character to a ship, even if those bonuses were rather marginal. The bonuses would stack over time, and make the player grow closer to his veteran ships, making them more valuable.
LORD BLACKFIRE

Post by LORD BLACKFIRE »

Have you abandoned the Xbox version? 5 - 6 months after release and we still don’t have multiplayer nor the persistent damage update. I hope that if you do update the game you will fix the following issue. When a Cylon fleet jumps in at the start of a round and there are 4 or more Colonial fleets at that planet, you can’t see past the 3rd fleet on the list of possible fleets to pick to engage. I have 7 or 8 partial fleets around one planet for protection but sometimes I want to engage with a fleet that might be 5 or 6 on the list but I can’t see which one is highlighted. Please fix the scroll feature.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”