Does this game have sideslip maneuvers?

The Cylons have rebelled. The alliance of the Twelve Colonies falters. Take control of the Colonial Fleet and save humanity from an endless war.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Does this game have sideslip maneuvers?

Post by FroBodine »

I just realized that this game is made by the same developers that made Starhammer.

Have you added sideslip maneuvers to BSG: Deadlock? That was sorely left out of Starhammer, and I commented strongly about it when Starhammer first came out.

I sure hope sideslips are a maneuver now, otherwise this game is severely limited in the maneuvering that you can do. Having to ALWAYS turn then turn back is cumbersome, messes up your firing arcs, and just not realistic. Well, as realistic as you can get in a theorized space combat game.

Please say that sideslip maneuvers are in this game.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Does this game have sideslip maneuvers?

Post by FroBodine »

Nothing? Oh well, moving on.
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by mbpopolano24 »

So lonely down here....
Shanewallis123
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Shanewallis123 »

I wont comment on the gameplay but i will say this

when do you see bsg ships perform those sorts of manouvers in the show? they dont. Capital ships in BSG are slow lumbering beasts which move more like an old fashioned sea going ship, ww2 battleship or galleons with broadsides and the like. If you watch gameplay for the game i think you'll have your answer
Laiders
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Laiders »

How are slipside manoeuvres realistic outside of space fighters, which players do not control? Last I checked ships in the BSG universe do not mount port and starboard main engines to facilitate such manoeuvres, though the lighter ships are substantially more manoeuverable owing to both the design of their engines (large gimballed thrusters placed a significant distance to either side of the main engines) and their significantly lower mass. Remember objects do have inertia in space. Persuading a craft to move sidewards all of a sudden in space requires thrust and fuel expenditure. More to the point, doing so in a tactically relevant space of time (say a few minutes) takes a heck of a lot of acceleration. You can't do it 'for free' through a trick of aerodynamics.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

I guess I'm just comparing it to the old board game "Star Fleet Battles". That game modeled Star Trek ships, from fighters to frigates to dreadnaughts.

All of them could do sideslip maneuvers. Oh well, no biggie. BSG is just not the game for me, unfortunately. It looks fun.
Shanewallis123

Post by Shanewallis123 »

FroBodine wrote:I guess I'm just comparing it to the old board game "Star Fleet Battles". That game modeled Star Trek ships, from fighters to frigates to dreadnaughts.

All of them could do sideslip maneuvers. Oh well, no biggie. BSG is just not the game for me, unfortunately. It looks fun.
Startrek ships are alot faster and alot more manouverable then bsg ones, with massive capitalships being able to turn on a dime and fly like a fighter

that would not fit bsg well
Ken Hagler
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Ken Hagler »

From the assorted videos on Youtube, it's clear that the answer is "yes." A ship can make a slight turn to one side, and then yaw back in the other direction, effectively conducting a sideslip.
fisher2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fisher2000 »

Ken Hagler wrote:From the assorted videos on Youtube, it's clear that the answer is "yes." A ship can make a slight turn to one side, and then yaw back in the other direction, effectively conducting a sideslip.
Remember Galactica entering the gas gaint ragnar to get to the Diad..errrr ammunition reserve, the ship moved its pitch and yaw to enter. It is nothing new for the series.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Yes, but a slight turn to one side, then a slight turn back isn't really the same. Sideslips let you maintain your forward facing, so your firing arcs remain the same throughout the maneuver.

A slight turn, then back, may move a ship out of your firing arc for a round.
Ken Hagler

Post by Ken Hagler »

If you watch the way the ships move in various Youtube videos, you can see that the are, in fact, doing what you want.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock”