AI and scripting in Panzer Corps 2

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

AI and scripting in Panzer Corps 2

Post by Molve »

First off, let me thank you for an amazing game (series).

That said, using the editor to write and change scripts is a huge pain in the rear. Every little change requires you to open and close a myriad of menu options.

Is there any chance the "scripts" tab of the editor could be replaced/supplanted by the ability to use plain text files that you can edit in something simple like Notepad?

Best regards
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: AI and scripting in Panzer Corps 2

Post by Molve »

Now then, what would be amazing is: a list of AI behaviors that is up for fixing/improvement as well as things that won't be changed.

There are several prior threads on the AI (here's just one: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33865 ), but nothing that I can find to indicate the scope of ambition for Panzer Corps 2.

The PC1 AI is still defined by frustrating gaffes like sending infantry in trucks into fog of war (ahead of armor), attacking with infantry before artillery, and so on and so on.

For instance: will we be able to change who's the attacking side using a script command? That is, not changing the AI stance of individual units. Switching which side is the attacker. The reason is that AI purchasing is very different if it plays the Attacker or the Defender, and changing unit AI has no bearing on this.

Will the AI use prestige for better things than spamming the cheapest scout tanks (on defense) or an ridiculous amount of Tiger II tanks (on offense, due to purchasing discounts)? These things mean that any functional scenario is one that sets the unit limit to shut down AI purchasing altogether.

Will aircraft actually obey a "defensive" stance, as opposed to seeking out the enemy to destroy it just as if on "attack".

Will AI still be restricted to moving one unit class at a time? (All recon, then all tanks, then all infantry etc) and instead ponder that each localized puzzle demands a different sequence of rock, scissors, ... I mean artillery, infantry, armor?
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

Molve wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am Now then, what would be amazing is: a list of AI behaviors that is up for fixing/improvement as well as things that won't be changed.

There are several prior threads on the AI (here's just one: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33865 ), but nothing that I can find to indicate the scope of ambition for Panzer Corps 2.

The PC1 AI is still defined by frustrating gaffes like sending infantry in trucks into fog of war (ahead of armor), attacking with infantry before artillery, and so on and so on.

Will AI still be restricted to moving one unit class at a time? (All recon, then all tanks, then all infantry etc) and instead ponder that each localized puzzle demands a different sequence of rock, scissors, ... I mean artillery, infantry, armor?
I will add my Opinion...?...trying to use the K.I.S.S. Principle!:

#When 'Advancing'... for instance... could not the 'AI' first make an appreciation/evaluation of the territory that they are advancing into?, before making a final action-deployment decision... to physically execute!. For as an Example... If the terrain ahead is heavily treed, hilly or Mountainous, then...why-not advance with 'Infantry-Units' (On foot...not trucks) first, immediately backed up by 'Artillery', and finally... followed up by 'Tanks' and 'Anti-Tank-Guns'...if available?.

Conversely!... if 'Advancing'... into predominately 'Open-Terrain', have the 'AI' make a decision to advance first with Armour followed immediately/closely behind with dismounted/leg infantry if visual enemy contact is made, ...otherwise... use truck's to move the infantry to cover more ground at a faster pace. Finally followed up with 'Artillery & Anti-Tank-Guns' if available.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

Please note: My main hope for this thread is for the devs to detail their plans for the PC2 computer opponent as well as the game's support for script-writing scenario creators :)

In short: will it be much the same or radically different 8)

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”