Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #6

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #6

Post by AlbertoC »

As 2018 is coming to an end, we are getting a lot of questions about the Panzer Corps 2 release date. Unfortunately, by now it has become clear that we won’t be able to release the game this year. This is something which some of you have already guessed, but we wanted to confirm it here so that there are no unrealistic expectations.

The game will be released next year, and we will announce the exact date as soon as we are reasonably confident about it.

After a deep dive into gameplay specifics in the last to issues of the Dev Diary, today we wanted to talk about a different topic. We have spent a lot of time lately polishing our random map engine. Let us take a look at what it can do.

Panzer Corps 2 is able to generate random maps of different sizes, and for any number of players from 2 to 8. These maps can be played both in single player and multiplayer mode. Random maps come in six primary types.

Continent

This type will be the most familiar to most Panzer Corps players. It has no bodies of water, besides rivers, and battles on such maps are 100% focused on ground and air warfare. Although scenarios generated on these maps are random, very similar battles could have happened in WW2 in real life. At the same time, it is great to explore all kinds of historical what-ifs, like allies fighting each other instead of Axis forces.

Continent maps might not look as fancy as the other types below, but there is a lot of gameplay to enjoy there. Perhaps more than in any other type.

Coast

This map is similar to the previous type, but there is also a sea in one part of the map. Although naval component on such maps is limited, it cannot be ignored: if you don’t take advantage of it, your opponents will instead. An enemy capital ship bombarding your capital is not fun. :)

Big Island

The name says it all; this map is one big island, completely surrounded by the sea. This map opens up a lot more space for naval warfare because you can easily reach any of the opponents by the sea and try to bombard their cities or surprise them by landing your troops behind their lines. However, battles on big islands are still resolved on the ground by the old trusty panzers. Superior strategy and tactics with your ground and air units is key to victory.

Archipelago

Each player starts on his own private island, and there can be a few more “neutral” islands to conquer. Island hopping campaigns were not typical of the European Theatre, but here you can get a taste of what it would look like if the biggest European powers clashed over the control of a remote archipelago. Expect lots of naval action, because the islands are small enough, and most land hexes can be bombarded directly by capital ships. This is probably the only map where you cannot win without a strong fleet. Airforce is also important because aircraft based on one island can easily reach several surrounding ones. As for land battles, they are going to be smaller in scale but very fierce, because losing your home island will likely mean instant loss of the game.

Big Lake

This map has one big lake in the middle of the map, while all players are placed on the coast around it. Another way to think of this type is “Big Island reversed”, with land replaced with water with land. This is another map with significant naval component because whoever controls the Lake will possess strategic initiative and can directly attack any of the opponents at any moment. So, expect large-scale battles both on the ground and for control of the Lake. Alternatively, you can play this map in winter, where you will be tempted to march your troops across the lake, but beware – the ice could thaw at any moment!

Lakeland

If you have ever been to Finland, which is often called “'the land of a thousand lakes”, you can easily imagine Lakeland. On this map, the land is dotted with lakes of different size, and although land mass remains fully connected, water gives it a very complex structure which you need to carefully consider when planning your strategy. The naval component is once again small scale in Lakeland, but you can still surprise your opponents by unexpected naval landings. Playing this map in cold season could be another fun option, because every time the lakes freeze, each player will try to use this drastic change in map configuration to his advantage.

If there are any other types of random maps which you would like to see in Panzer Corps 2, let us know! And finally, in one of our future diaries, we will tell about various mission types which you can play on all these random maps.

truth80
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #6

Post by truth80 »

Very good news regarding the random map generator, I miss it from PzC 1.

Can we know already what is the maximum size of a random map? I much prefer the XXXXXL size battles :)
charge62
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by charge62 »

My first impression of the random maps is a flashback to Empire and Empire Deluxe. Fascinating flexibility in your design philosophy.
rajatgupta124
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rajatgupta124 »

This reminds me of C&C Red alert 2 maps
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

I love the game for the historic aspects and campaign features, so this feature is of no relevance to me.

I hope it won´t hinder the releasedate too much or draw focus from the classics of the game.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

truth80 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:56 am Very good news regarding the random map generator, I miss it from PzC 1.
Can we know already what is the maximum size of a random map? I much prefer the XXXXXL size battles :)
We have not set a maximum size yet, but I understand that huge map are popular, and we will do our best to support them. What does XXXXXL mean for you personally? :)
charge62 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:24 pm My first impression of the random maps is a flashback to Empire and Empire Deluxe. Fascinating flexibility in your design philosophy.
rajatgupta124 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:21 am This reminds me of C&C Red alert 2 maps
It's interesting how our random maps remind different people about different games (on another forum Age of Empires was mentioned as well). I guess, it's a good thing. :)
WarHomer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 am I love the game for the historic aspects and campaign features, so this feature is of no relevance to me.
I hope it won´t hinder the releasedate too much or draw focus from the classics of the game.
Producing historical campaign is the longest task, and you can only kick off its production when the game is already in a pretty advanced state, so don't worry, these new features will not delay the game more than it would be delayed in any case. Rather, they can be created in parallel with the development of the main campaign, and this is exactly what we are doing now.
lloydster4
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by lloydster4 »

It seems like all of these maps types are defined by the presence or lack of water tiles. In that vein I would suggest "Strait" and possibly "Peninsula" types."Strait" would be defined as two continental areas separated by a relatively narrow sea. Something like Sicily/Italy or Calais/Dover in large scale, or perhaps a major river crossing at small scale.

It would also be cool to be able to select from terrain types. For example, a "Mountain Pass" with lots of rough terrain or "Lowlands" with a greater number of rivers.

Maps that are mostly city-tiles? Or a smattering of multi-tile "villages" spread over a countryside?
GMartin
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by GMartin »

Random maps! How cool!
I fantasized about that in previous versions­.
It's an interesting alternative for replayability.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”