Mac? iPad?

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

glemmi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Mac? iPad?

Post by glemmi »

Will there be a Mac/ iPad Version?
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Mac? iPad?

Post by dalfrede »

glemmi wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm Will there be a Mac/ iPad Version?
A definite maybe!!

The game is behind schedule and the developers have stated that until the PC version is out they will not talk about ports.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Ultimately, a Mac port is a publisher's decision. As the devs, we are making this game cross-platform, so we will port it where we are told to port it. :)
heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by heinzrondorf »

Any update on this? Please make a Mac version!
glemmi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by glemmi »

Anything new about a possible port to Mac/iPad?
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

glemmi wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:06 pm Will there be a Mac/ iPad Version?
It may be for the best not to. The Mac version of PzC is riddled with bugs and won't boot on Catalina despite being less than three years old. The iPad version doesn't support screen sizes larger than the original iPad. It is better not to do something than do it poorly, grab people's money, and run away.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

your views and opinions are groundless, one sided and incorrect, but that's your choice and opinion tbh and call to make, so in a free world, carry on the rant it's everyone ones fault other than Apple, strange how the larger part / percentage of the rest of the board and world disagree
funat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by funat »

Agree with no port to Mac. Make Windows work properly, Macs are not gaming machines. Linux yes, Windows yes.
glemmi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by glemmi »

Very selfish opinion. PC on iPad is great.
proline

Post by proline »

zakblood wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:03 pm your views and opinions are groundless, one sided and incorrect, but that's your choice and opinion tbh and call to make, so in a free world, carry on the rant it's everyone ones fault other than Apple, strange how the larger part / percentage of the rest of the board and world disagree
It's actually a fact that the iPad version doesn't support any screen larger than 1024x768. It's a fact that Panzer Corps for Mac was riddled with bugs (briefing text that doesn't show up properly, extreme CPU usage, no casualties screen). It's a fact that it doesn't boot on the latest macOS. It's a fact that it was ported by a foreign 3rd party porting house that did a sloppy job. You shouldn't be offended by facts.

As for who's to blame- Apple was very clear that they weren't going to support 32 bit apps forever. They gave 15 years notice. You chose to release a 32 bit app shortly before the transition was complete. But yeah, there's some subjectivity on that one, so if you've got an echo chamber of people who agree with you, then listen to them if you wish.

All I did was suggest that given your lack of commitment, it might be best if you stay off the Mac, both for you and to save customers the disappointment of being ripped off via software that doesn't work. Given your response, I rest my case.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i'm happy your resting your case, thanks, everyone now knows your views and opinions
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

glemmi wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 pm Anything new about a possible port to Mac/iPad?
As I said before, this is publisher's decision. Here is a recent statement from them which I think makes a Mac port very unlikely to happen:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1072040/ ... 7935251032
Renaud92
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Renaud92 »

Fingers crossed for an IOS release October 2020.
glemmi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by glemmi »

Dissapointing! Then the original must be enough.
proline

Post by proline »

Rudankort wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 am
glemmi wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 pm Anything new about a possible port to Mac/iPad?
As I said before, this is publisher's decision. Here is a recent statement from them which I think makes a Mac port very unlikely to happen:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1072040/ ... 7935251032
Thanks for the link. It's a doozy.
Supporting Mac versions has created an enormous amount of work and only limited sales
Yup, I believe that. The Mac version of PzC was riddled with bugs, could drain a MacBook's battery in half hour (even though the iPad version lasts like 10 hours), wasn't feature complete, and came out three years late. Of course the sales were limited. It would be a shocker if there were even 10 sales.
A good example is the new Catalina update preventing all 32 bit apps running. Apple could have supported them but chose not to
The 64 bit transition happened in April 2005. How long do you think Apple should support abandonware?
to force developers to build apps in 64 bit, which in turn forces users to upgrade hardware and OS to run them
Who is forced to buy new hardware because of 64 bit? Every Mac made in decades is 64 bit. All of Apple's software is 64 bit. The only "forced upgrades" concern people who are using old abandonware. Apple doesn't profit from them buying new software. If I ditch PzC and play something else that doesn't put a dime in Apple's pocket.
Its terrible business practice that punishes customers and developers. The only way to stop it is to walk away from the Apple ecosystem.
Yes, consumers are "punished" when Apple encourages devs to update apps once every decade. Again, PzC was awful on the Mac even before Catalina. Losing a dev that isn't willing to recompile once in a while or learn some modern coding techniques isn't going to make Apple change their ways and dedicate talent to supporting 20 year old architecture. Should they still support Classic MacOS games? Apple 2 games?

The response is emotional and conspiratorial. The irony here is you're going to have to make an iPad version because that is a market you care about, and Apple will profit from that and get 30% of your sales vs zero on the Mac. And once you've got that, a Mac version is a click away (btw, the iOS version of PzC is 64 bit and could easily be recompiled to run on a Mac if you had an afternoon to spend on it).

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”