Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #3

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Rhialto2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #3

Post by Rhialto2 »

robertcomposer wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 am
I was the director of user interface for several very high level web areas - you would know the names. Looks great - but listen to these comments - they are spot on.
I agree. the new MAP looks great. The new UNIT images look distracting. Too large. Out of scale. Intrusive. The shadows that the "machined plastic blocks" cast are distracting and put the units firmly into the uncanny valley. If you offer this interface only, I will not buy it. If you offer 2D units on that map and the gameplay/scenario design/game mechanics are also compelling I will buy in heartbeat.

Lower down you ask how to fix this graphics issue. Fix it by offering AT RELEASE a well-done 2D counters alternative. Don't try and tweak a losing 3D cause. Focus on the scenario design and game mechanics and getting difficulty balance/mechanics right. Make things like aircraft carrier and submarine and fortifications and mines/mine clearance and supply and amphibious landings and bridge construction/demolitions and supply depots and partisans and railways and canals and all these other interesting mechanics work well. Build scenarios that use these elements well and avoid grind-fests like the GC 1943 and 1944 East scenarios.
Asap
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Asap »

Rudankort wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 am
Asap wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 pm There is one question I have. Do wheels or the tracks of tanks move? :)
Well nothing like World of Tanks standard :) but we do model all wheels separately from the bodies, and yes they can rotate.
Amazing!! :D
"The sun is new each day" Heraclitus
charge62
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by charge62 »

I am hesitant to reply to the 3D model size issue as I don't like joggling a developers elbow and try to tell him how to do his work.

Let me frame this from a practical viewpoint. I was trained for maneuver warfare. The first principle is terrain, terrain, terrain. Only with a firm grasp of the terrain, is it possible to make good decisions about how to best use that terrain with the force available. I would much rather have smaller models or a passable 2D interface, and get an instantaneous impression of the terrain, than try to mentally filter out the models to envision the terrain and its own internal relationships.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

Rhialto2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 pm
robertcomposer wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:05 am
Lower down you ask how to fix this graphics issue. Fix it by offering AT RELEASE a well-done 2D counters alternative. Don't try and tweak a losing 3D cause. _(Retr._That's your opinion, and I respect that, though even if 3D is not yet Perfect, I'm willing to start heading in a new direction with Graphic's myself,it's time to move on and get out of the past!.)

Focus on the scenario design and game mechanics and getting difficulty balance/mechanics right. Make things like aircraft carrier and submarine and fortifications and mines/mine clearance and supply and amphibious landings and bridge construction/demolitions and supply depots and partisans and railways and canals and all these other interesting mechanics work well. _(Retr._I whole-heartedly-agree!.)

Build scenarios that use these elements well and avoid grind-fests like the GC 1943 and 1944 East scenarios. _(Retr._Again, that's your personal preference. I guess PC2 could make an abbreviated campaign for those like yourself so that you can get through it quickly or have an option while giving you the benefit of the doubt to having won those by-passed scenario's so that you can avoid the Grind. I like deep indepth Grinding Scenarios, so I come exactly from the opposite camp than the one you come from.
Owi
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Owi »

Nice to see the work done to P.corps 2.

First impression i had is that 3 D units seems to hover over the map. Maybe put them bit more ground. Drag the tracks into the map or change the shadow that makes it look like the hover.

looking 4wd to the release.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Owi wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:01 am Nice to see the work done to P.corps 2.

First impression i had is that 3 D units seems to hover over the map. Maybe put them bit more ground. Drag the tracks into the map or change the shadow that makes it look like the hover.

looking 4wd to the release.
We currently have a known issue with the distance setting of the in-game camera .. the contact shadows and side lighting of the vehicles are getting turned off. It's something we're aware of and will be addressing.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

GMartin

Post by GMartin »

Sorry for my late input, I just came out of my hibernation state.
I hope you still read those! :oops:

I have a question regarding AI:
In previous version, and in Panzer General, I used to replay scenarios and campaigns in single player mode. Obviously after a couple of times, you start to know where to expect enemy units and act accordingly.
I was wondering if your new AI could have an option to generate random positions and unit types on standard scenarios. It would make replayability much more interesting.

Congrats for your work! I enjoyed Panzer Corps and look forward to this new version. I sounds promising.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”