More Geographic and Historical Context for scenarios

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

BigRedJuan
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

More Geographic and Historical Context for scenarios

Post by BigRedJuan »

I'd like to see more geographic and historical context in the briefings before each scenario in Panzer Corps 2. The briefings usually give a tactical tidbit like "watch out for a counter-attack from the south," but more strategic context would be great. Anybody who has played the Grand Campaign knows that winning all the battles still doesn't mean you win the war, so the briefings should give a broader picture of what is happening around my army and in other theaters of the war (i.e. General So and So is driving towards Leningrad to the north, etc.).

Keeping with this would be including cutscenes or animations showing where my scenario fits into the broader picture of the war. For instance, in the Russia scenarios it breaks the immersion a bit when I don't have to worry about attacks coming from off screen in the north or south. A short briefing showing the front line and the supporting units on my flanks would help suspend that disbelief, and add context. Most players are history buffs, so leaving out the historical big picture of the various fronts seems like a mistake.

(I play only on iPad, so if the computer version has this already, please ignore).
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: More Geographic and Historical Context for scenarios

Post by sn0wball »

That would be a great idea. I´d love to see strategic maps showing the whole front - only for their educational or immersive value. Perhaps even in the form of historical military maps ...
nLjace
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by nLjace »

I agree. Many times while playing the GC I've opened up google maps and searched for the areas in Russia to understand where I am and what's going on around me. Even just basic maps showing disposition of forces would be a big plus
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

+1
fantastic idea
jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by jeff00t »

+1 too

There aren't enough games using the fact that the player is not just playing but also learning ... to just discover the history, the geography is a pleasure underestimated by developpers.
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Does anyone remember Allied General?
There, when you hovered the cursor on an unoccupied hex, the inscription "Killroy was here" appeared on the bar, it would be nice to see something like this in PzC 2. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”