Ideas for Panzer Corps 2

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Ideas for Panzer Corps 2

Post by Rudankort »

Hello All!

We have created an experimental page for Panzer Corps 2 where players can post ideas of what to include in the new game, discuss them and vote for them. The more votes an idea gets, the higher its chance to be implemented in the game.

http://flashback.games/panzer-corps-2-ideas/

Let us know if you experience any problems with this page.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: Ideas for Panzer Corps 2

Post by Kerensky »

I get an error when I try to click 'read more' on a posted idea.

Code: Select all

Error establishing a database connection
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Our whole site was down for some time yesterday. Thanks to GoDaddy, the worst hosting provider ever. It is up and running now.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

When I try to downvote ideas the interface says 'thank you' but its not registering my downvote.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

What browser are you using?
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Google Chrome
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Hello All!

We have replaced the voting plugin, because the old one was too glitchy. All ideas and votes which existed before have been preserved. Hopefully, there won't be any more issues, but let us know if you encounter any!

This is certainly beginning less smoothly than I would like, but I think that the idea itself has some good potential. Let's see how it goes. :)
brian1h
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by brian1h »

A) I would suggest that some of the unit attack ranges be modified.

Most units equipped with direct fire guns 75mm or larger should be able to attack at a range of 2 hexes at Half Strength. Combined with this units targeted with this long range direct fire should fire back if they are capable. This would allow for such historical as Matilda's with there 40mm guns taking damage from 88mm AT guns without being able to respond.

To compensate indirect fire Artillery for this adjustment I would add one to there attack range but reduce there damage to Half Strength if they are firing at maximum range.

B) I would suggest that in all scenario's at least one withdraw hex be available on the map. This would allow you to pull damaged units, that you either can't afford to repair or don't want to repair, off the map and bring in fresh units from your reserved.

In addition to this during a scenario the replacements a unit can receive on a single turn should be limited. Units in contact with enemy units, if i recall correctly, seem to be limited to about 2 points of replacement - this works well. However a unit reduced to 1 point can be brought back to full strength, without loss of quality if you can afford it, if its not in contact. During a battle i would suggest that the maximum replacement a unit can receive be about 4 points on a single turn, if its not in contact with enemy units.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

postby brian1h A) I would suggest that some of the unit attack ranges be modified.

Some interesting concept's you have here!. My main consternation for using 'Indirect-Fire' is first knowing how much a span in miles or Kilometres each hex is?.
Obviously, artillery has only a set maximum range, so if the hexes are not too great in size or distance, then 'Indirect-Fire' just may be feasible. Otherwise, great idea's you have here!!!.
verstaubtgesicht
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by verstaubtgesicht »

Some of this has been mentioned, but I will add my 2c what I think matters:

1) Better AI - already an often mentioned topic. However, this is the mother of all improvements. If there is one big shortcoming of PC, it is the stupid AI. I am not a computer expert, but I can't believe that with all the computing power and memory one cannot improve here with a better algorithm.

2) Variability/unpredictability of scenarios. Even though there is eventually a lot of content, now one can play each scenario only once. What a waste!

3) Introduce direction of attack. It is not the same if a tank unit is fired upon from the front, side, or rear. This is true with an individual tank, but also a whole regiment. This will add strategic depth and avoid silly situations where the opposing units are all mixed up and it doesn't matter which way they are facing (i.e. the ability of the commander to control the battlefield deployment doesn't add any value, which is obviously not true on real war). It helps maintaining a solid front line a priority, which of course is paramount in real battle.

4) Give only unit-appropriate heroes. Please NO def or spot heroes on towed arty or ini on strat bombers! Quite frankly, I decide to reload when those happen...

5) More sophisticated supply management like using prestige for supply, penalty for distance, units surrendering after a certain period without supply (Stalingrad, anyone?). Maybe even introduce different categories like fuel for panzers, ammo and food, etc....

6) The only way one can successfully complete a long challenging campaign like GC on Rommel is to keep winning with little or almost no losses. This is unrealistic. I think that even simple adjustments like McGubba's BE mod would be helpful - for example the '41 winter chops off strength points on all units, penalty for waiting for a "sure kill" (in this mod if one avoids all non-X:0 odds, the delay will cost them dearly). In almost every battle there should be losses, and balance that with just enough prestige (but not too much).

7) Concepts of morale and fatigue. It doesn't make sense that a unit that has been engaged 10 turns in a row is performing the same as a fresh unit.

8) I am not sure about how to handle this, but there is no concept of (counter)intelligence here, which in real life played a great role (Enigma machine, Zorge).

9) It's probably too late, but NO 3D!!!
DLM936
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by DLM936 »

Please design Panzer Corps 2 in the spirit of Panzer General 2 with modern sharp graphics! There is a reason why that game has stood the test of time and is still being played and duplicated for so many years. PG2 has been responsible for starting my interest in wargaming to this day. Even if you would put a "Gary Grigsby" price tag on it, I'd buy it without hesitation! Excited to see this take shape.
Waltero
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Waltero »

Multiplayer Campaign!

Not too excited about a remake of the old game, unless it involves a multiplayer campaign.
Pitemag
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Pitemag »

A limit to how many units you can deploy around a city, example when you have owned a city longer the maximum unit deployment increases.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Thanks to all for posting their ideas. Just a quick note: this topic was created to announce a special section on Flashback Games site, where ideas can be posted and voted for, so it is much easier to determine how much player support every idea has.

http://flashback.games/panzer-corps-2-ideas/
cobra50
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by cobra50 »

Can we have cheats and nukes for the Nazi's??
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I would take a leap and answer for the devs by saying there won't be nukes...

You can't implement a weapon with massive destruction potential realistically in a game that aims to revolve around tactical gameplay(even if the maps are as big as the Russian Ural).
auda
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by auda »

Hello
I will not dispense with how excited I am over the news and how much of a PzC fan I am, so let's just dig in.

There have been good points raised about the AI and overall game by verstaubtgesicht. I agree on all of them.
There are 'tactical' shortcomings like why does the AI, upon making contact with the player's force, keep on sending forward infantry and support weapons in trucks, that is, right in front of the player's defense wall (even on hardest difficulties)?
That, and the artillery-fires-last bug- both should be eliminated relatively easy.

But what I have missed most in PzC, was more force maneuvering by the AI- more aggressive use of units with proper positioning (artillery in the center + AA + fighter cover, etc) If I may abstract this a little bit:
The AI could analyze the player's concentrations of force and approach vectors and therefore react with its own main force- like sending it to block the player, or maybe even to outflank him.
I can quite imagine the difficulties for the programmers to model this, but even if the AI manages to group its force in a proper manner and advance towards the player's main force, even if it misses by a couple of squares, it could well harass the player to the point of stopping and turning, etc, Maybe even do some damage if the player is not careful. What I'm trying to say is, that a more active defense on the side of the AI, would make it far more interesting. I believe it would add a certain dimension of randomness or a replayability, because different player action would make different AI actions. Maybe even to the point that the AI could generate its 'own daring plan' and to risk its own demise, so to speak.
Opportunities for opponents traits as more turtling or more maneuvering/aggressive.
Each scenario can have a different initial placement of units for the AI, if it is the one defending.

If I return to the AI analyzing the player: this would not be 'cheating' by reading the program but with sending more recon planes and vehicles to see what is going on.

Make actual supply trucks, bought with prestige like other units. These are cheap, non-combat units (maybe certain upgrades can have a little defense values) and are trailing behind player's combat units. Each truck can represent a certain amount of fuel and ammo that can be distributed to the units. Upon stopping, the units within 2 or 3 hex around that truck would get their supply, but only the amount that is carried by the truck. This means maybe only two units could get full supply replenishment if they are much depleted. The trucks as well would require fuel but that could be replenished at the supply base.
With the supply base, the opponent could take it out, which would mean very bad news for the player.

To increase the options of movement and maneuver, make smaller hexes and therefore more of them. Be able to split artillery and antitank units in half or quarters with proportionally decreased firepower to make defensive rings, etc..
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Yrfin »

Dev's team don't care about AI. Them only 3D worries and "modern" look-like, becoz it increases the number of sales a game, not AI.
When im died - I must be a killed.
Fast00000000000

Post by Fast00000000000 »

I would like a map of Europe with thousands of units and a very large scale. This is something I have always wanted in Panzer Corps. I would also like an option to turn 3D units on and off for ipads because I have an ipad 2 that I love playing the original on. I want to play the second on it as well.
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Fast00000000000 wrote:I would like a map of Europe with thousands of units and a very large scale. This is something I have always wanted in Panzer Corps. I would also like an option to turn 3D units on and off for ipads because I have an ipad 2 that I love playing the original on. I want to play the second on it as well.
You should check the Scenario Design section, there you have 4 mods containing what you asking, covering different sides and with MORE material than the original game.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”