Editor manual?

Grenadier79
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Editor manual?

Post by Grenadier79 »

Will there be an manual for the editor?
The Few Good Men wargaming and history club.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Editor manual?

Post by zakblood »

hopefully when someone gets the time to write it
Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mophead »

I can draft a primer or setup walkthrough that others can use, include or expand, in a more complete volume on the editor.
Outlined:
1. setting up basic custom single-player campaign.
2. Hotkeys and campaign folder structure
3. Editor tools & plug ins.
4. Demo basic maps in carry over campaign
5. Demo need files in campaign folder
6. Demo in-game.
By "demo," I mean screenshots. It might take a couple days or an uninterrupted afternoon, let me know if there is anything specific (non-multiplayer) and I'll try to include it.
Grenadier79
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Grenadier79 »

What I'm really interested in is:

-placing objectives
-creating deployment zones
-how to play the scenario

Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mophead »

I can't completely answer all those questions, I have an idea of where to look and can get more for you if needed.

To get baseline, you ever made & played custom map?

"How to play Scenario," in a single-player custom campaign, the custom campaign shows up in the Campaign Menu and you pick it. It needs to be setup and a setup was what I was getting at with the idea for a primer (for beginners).

The deployment zones, from "GreenTideGreyFog.BSF" (The Scenario BSF for the Tutorial campaign):

Code: Select all

// flamer appears to save your ass
	if(gStage == 25)
	{
		unit = AddUnit(28,36,0,"Grey_Hunter_Flamer3") ;
A couple of ways to do it, at least.

Placing Objectives? Victory Points?

There are a "Owner/State & Placement" columns in the Slitherine Victory Points Plugin. Once the Victory Point is created and you can see it in the "Owner/State" column, clicking on the neighboring "Placement" button will allow you to move the Victory Point to a new location on the map. It is a little funky but more George Clinton Mothership than stinky, to me.

I do not completely understand. I was getting more at a beginner/intro type thing.
How are you defining "objective?" Here is elimination victory condition for scenario:

Code: Select all

// Scenario.BSF SCRIPT
include "AbilityHelpers.bsf"
include "Functions.BSF"
include "tools.BSF"
include "ScenarioTools.BSF"
FUNCTION VictoryConditions()
{
	int i;
	int id ;
	int counter ;
// Count units to see if a side is destroyed
// Just count wolves to see if they have lost. 
// Mophead added the part for orks (copied it).

counter = 0 ;
	for(i=0; i<GetUnitCount(0); i++)
	{
		id = GetUnitID(0, i) ;
		if(GetUnitDead(id) == 0)
		{
			counter ++ ;
		}
	}

if(counter == 0 )
	{
		EndBattle(1);
	}
	for(i=0; i<GetUnitCount(1); i++)
	{
		id = GetUnitID(0, i) ;
		if(GetUnitDead(id) == 0)
		{
			counter ++ ;
		}
	}

if(counter == 0 )
	{
		EndBattle(1);
	}

}
I don't know what includes are required for this, I just kept them all (some might not be needed but it works), the "Space Wolves Alive?" part was from an existing .BSF file.

I think the deployment zone can be anything or anywhere. In the tutorial when you capture the Communicaiton array and unlock the drop pod, the drop pod has its own script.

If it is "how to toggle deployment" on or off, with custom campaign scenarios, there is a editor button. Its a little pawn shape, or two, light and dark, and arrows point four directions around; one or both pawn-looking images that change as you click the button. It has to be; deployment off for both sides, on for only one side (side zero or side one), or it is on for both sides.
Grenadier79
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Grenadier79 »

Thanks man. Don't really understand it yet as I need to figure it out also. But willen try.

What I'm working on is a system where I want to host a tourney based on the tabletop system.
Players can choose an armylist which they use during 3 battle's.

Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mophead »

If changing the ruleset involves editing the Squads.csv in your custom multiplayer campaign-tournament, you might need new listings (not just edit those pre-existing): copy & paste into custom folder; copy the rows you want to edit; delete all entries; paste your copied rows, starting at row two; then change both the name, column A, and also the ID, column B, to a new entry (ID: 368, 369, 370, etc).

This will make copies of units that you can add to Armylist.txt and place in the editor. These copies could have altered stats, I'm not sure if that is what you are going for regarding ruleset changes. There are scripts:
_\Warhammer 40000 Sanctus Reach\Data\Battle\Scripts
&
_\Warhammer 40000 Sanctus Reach\Data\scripts

Those might be added to the custom multiplayer folder & maybe edited in places in order to further tweak the battle and units. I'm not sure if it will work, if those files get passed along or not.

Does the multiplayer carry-over campaign work in Multiplayer, does the .BSF get passed or just the .BAM file? The three maps might need to be played as individual skirmishes. If it is just the .BAM file and not a "carryover multiplayer" then editing units and rules might not be possible (or more limited).

If the Deployment Points are in reference to the Cooperative Settings editor tool, they are set in the AI Agression tool. You click through point # on the lower left button of the AI Tool Window until you see the Point# that matches one you want. Then click "Set the place of the current AI point on the map" button to the right to move it.
The armies used need non-fixed units and a Loadout Point Allotment to both sides that is less than the cost of the respective total Army-Costs. If I have 10 Bolters at 160 per bolter and 10 BloodClaws for 100 LP, then that total army cost is 2600. If the SpaceWolves get less than 2600 points then the player can select what units the player wants to include or exclude.

I see a quick map listed on Multiplayer - match creation. It says "skirmish" and might just be the map, not allowing a best-of-three. I'm not sure, the Carryover VAR was put in the Campaign.txt file. If info is stored on the server, uploaded when you create the map, it could be possible. I know next to nothing about how the multiplayer works.
I'm interested to try something out, see if new units can be seen by opponent.
Grenadier79
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Grenadier79 »

I've sent you a PM.

Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mophead »

The questions could easily be asked by others, and very likely answered better too by others - here's my take:
Grenadier79 wrote: I want to host a tournament where 16 players (8 Space Marines/8 Orks) battle against eachother during 3 battle's/rounds.
Each player gets to pick his force using the army selection I've created. (can't post it here)
Then I create each battle. So what I would like to know is this:

I do know how to create a random map so that is fine but how do I (re)place the objectives?
Once I've added all units and the battle is done how do I play it?
This might be obvious, I need to type it out:
Lets say round one has eight matchups on three maps.
Best-of-three, from round one, moves on to round two.
Round two has four matchups on three maps.
Best-of-three, from round two, moves on to round three.
Round three has two matchups on three maps, and is a semi-final.
Best-of-three, from round three, moves on to round four.
Round four has one matchup on three maps, and is a final.
Best-of-three, from round four, wins the tournament.

Its up to you and still I'd encourage keeping it simple to start out, get three simple maps before detailing or randomizing twelve.

I think the objectives are either from the Victory Points Plugin or the AI markers. I'm not sure. The defend/capture points are Victory Points and you can "Reset all" in that Victory Points Plugin.

The multiplayer maps are played in the Muliplayer game option. You can hotseat the match to test it, play both sides. I create a match with a password and accept my own challenge. Finish your matches, not necessarily in one sitting but, don't leave one match running and start another custom multiplayer match with the same map. Do not edit the custom multiplayer files when a game is in progress.

The Custom Multiplayer Maps will need to be distributed to players. They will have to download them and place the custom maps in their SANCTUS/MULTIPLAYER folder. Distribute three custom maps to the players. Once seeded or matched to opponents for rounds, players could concurrently play all three matches in a round.
Grenadier79
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Grenadier79 »

Mophead wrote: This might be obvious, I need to type it out:
Lets say round one has eight matchups on three maps.
Best-of-three, from round one, moves on to round two.
Round two has four matchups on three maps.
Best-of-three, from round two, moves on to round three.
Round three has two matchups on three maps, and is a semi-final.
Best-of-three, from round three, moves on to round four.
Round four has one matchup on three maps, and is a final.
Best-of-three, from round four, wins the tournament.
No this is not an option. It is based on the actual tabletop system.

The thing is that I don't see any of the maps I've done back in my game. So I can't start/play them.

Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mophead »

Did you add the scenario name to the Campaign.txt?
[SCENARIONAME]

**where SCENARIONAME.BAM is in the SCENARIO folder of your custom Multiplayer Map(s).

Multiplayer match? Do you see the Multiplayer "Campaign" name, the folder? There should be .BAM file for the multiplayer scenario. I don't think you need a .BSF or any of the images - I don't get a splash - just drop into the match.

The multiplayer setup, create the challenge and you should be able to scroll down to your multiplayer Campaign and select any scenarios.

I don't understand the tournament. If it isn't bracketed then are you saying 16 players taking turns on one map? Forgive my ignorance, I just do not know.
Grenadier79
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Grenadier79 »

It's ok if you don't understand it yet. Just forget that part :mrgreen:

Once I've given my campaign an name it still does not show in my multiplayer list :?:
Could you explain step by step what to do?

all I need to know is this:

-create a map :arrow: check
-place units :arrow: check
-(re)place objectives :arrow: ???
-set victory settings :arrow: ???
-how to upload/save ect... the map to be used in multiplayer :arrow: ???

Thanks man

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Have you added the entry to the CAMPAIGN.TXT file? Is your custom campaign inside the MULTIPLAYER folder (in My Documents/My Games/SANCTUS).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Return to “Sanctus Reach Mods and Scenario Design”