Script request - Ability to send a network call by script

Aekar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Script request - Ability to send a network call by script

Post by Aekar »

Hi all,

I understand that's an odd request but one which also has so much potential.

So far I do not know if there are undocumented network commands available.
I'll be very much interested in being able to use network calls in mods, ie a read url (as in check an url and getting its string feed) would be enough.
That could be used for sending campaign stats, implementing another kind of coop play or campaign pvp, etc.

Thanks a ton!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Script request - Ability to send a network call by scrip

Post by pipfromslitherine »

There isn't anything like that really. Although there are UI functions to open a web page they would close the game to allow the player to read it, so not ideal. It's an interesting idea though, I can see how it could be useful (if only for a very dedicated subset of modders!). I will have a think - the issue is balancing utility with preventing the game becoming a vector for attacks on the user's PC.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Aekar

Post by Aekar »

Thanks Pip.

For security reasons imho the feed should not be able to read anything else than a string from the network; no other download of anything etc.
And can only send to any url it calls information by the url itself - GET parameters.

With a game like this which allows deep and elaborate scripting, the real gain is allowing player actions to cause effects to other player campaigns.
Namely, army lists could be read and sent, there could be matchmaking, indirect pvp... a grand potential for players.

The real question is whether a modder would then be able to take the subject into his hands and "deliver" such features.
But the first step is now into your hands ;)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I think that is the thing that would make me less keen - once in a modder would need to build a fairly complex set of code AND then serverside support to process and generate new data, and then run said server and set up games etc. It would need a dedicated modder indeed!

I think that the in-build MP tournaments would provide some overlap. That said, there is a crazy BA2 tournament going on which is basically a hand-moderated version of what you are describing.

It's on the list anyway!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

Return to “Sanctus Reach Mods and Scenario Design”