the hollow hills scenario of the Stormclaw campaign

JPLOZ
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

the hollow hills scenario of the Stormclaw campaign

Post by JPLOZ »

I like this game. However, I cannot win the Hollow Hills scenario which is the fourth in the Stormclaw Campaign. Too many enemy troops which appear no matter how many I kill. On my fourth attempt, two of my APC's almost made it to the extraction point before being stopped and finally destroyed by the fourth or fifth wave of enemy soldiers.
uberzoned
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: the hollow hills scenario of the Stormclaw campaign

Post by uberzoned »

Same here... think I'm going to put this game on a shelf for now. I just can't seem to figure out what works on this mission and I've wasted hours. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy a challenge and/or learning. It's just not fun.
Dizzy_slith
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Dizzy_slith »

Guys, the scenario wasnt hard on me at all. I lost ONE squad. The orks are not competitive at all with the Space Marines and there's a huge imbalance in equality with the Space marines dominating the field in almost every aspect.

I can confidently tell you two that the only reason you are losing that scenario is because of your tactics. That mission is to get the Rhino to the extraction point. It isnt about killing enemy troops. You can select units to sacrifice, although I did not, in order to buy time and allow your units to move toward the extraction point in haste. This mission requires deft use of embarking and disembarking troops from the Rhinos and using your mostly mechanized forces advantage in faster speed to get to where you need to go. Fighting the enemy is possible, as is what I did, but I did it while moving toward the extraction zone and chose to only engage enemy forces when they impeded my ability to move the direction I wanted.

That mission is very easy looking back, but you two obviously need to practice your tactics in order to maximize your chances of success. If I can get through that mission and lose only a single unit, then obviously your tactics are flawed. Remember, the definition of crazy is to try the same thing again and expect a different result. Change your tactics. Thats what's so cool about this game. It allows so many different tactics to be employed, theres not just one way to win or one way to approach a scenario.

Good luck.
Last edited by Dizzy_slith on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schweinewitz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Schweinewitz »

I agree with Dizzy. You have to push forward with the Rhinos, let them carry a good mix of infantry, Flamer and Meltgun included. Dismount and kill everything that comes near your transports, then mount and get the hell out of there. Speed is the key so avoid melee if possible. If you like, you can sacrifice one or two units, let them make a heroic last stand, it will distract and bind the Orkish AI.

I managed to win the scenario an a second try, really enjoy it, and have much fun with this game even when I'm loosing. That's a good sign. :mrgreen:
JPLOZ
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JPLOZ »

Finally managed to win this scenario. Loading up the APC's and running full out for extraction point worked. Then I dismounted when I encountered opposition. I left some forces on the opposite side of map and they drew most of the enemy from my fleeing APC's. Had to use a lot of soldiers to block enemy at the pass while the APC's hightailed it to extraction point. Having one artillery missile unit helped to kill small enemy units blocking the path of APC's.

On to the next scenario of the campaign. A tough, but fun game.
uberzoned

Post by uberzoned »

With the tips here, I was also able to finish this mission. There were a number of things that led to my confusion... maybe this will help the dev's...

1. I couldn't tell if the enemy was spawning new units (no end to the waves) or if they were using a fixed number of them like myself. While this may seem obvious after getting acclimated to the mechanics, at the beginning it's not clear. I couldn't figure out if I should clear units and make a path... or if they were just gonna keep coming... it's a bit chaotic and there isn't a clear definition of what's going on.
2. I wanted my units to level up and gain experience... but... they were getting slaughtered... so I would restart hoping to get an advantage and not lose units. After reading through some of the other posts, I figured out that the units don't actually perma-die. That would have been good info to have going into a mission where losses are likely higher due to the sheer number of enemy units.
3. I didn't understand that the whole mission was based on loading up the transports... I was immediately fighting and didn't think to load and run... running isn't usually my first strategy. It would make a lot more sense to have the transports already loaded.

Hope that helps... as a new player, things are just a bit confusing.

Return to “Sanctus Reach After Action Reports (AAR)”