Cavalry - a package of proposals

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

quackstheking
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Cavalry - a package of proposals

Post by quackstheking »

But it's purely a fix to address non historical match-ups! Why?

If the mounted bow range is also reduced to 3" then the only reason to turn, move and turn back is to get out of short range and yet still get shot! If the P&S close to under 1" then a fancy manoevre will still be in short range. P&S will rarely charge a mtd bow unit - better to break them by morale rather than base losses (especially with the changed average break points needing 3 base looses to break)

Don
Vespasian28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Vespasian28 »

So cavalry with bow are now sufficiently mobile to turn 180degrees move back 2" and then turn back again but not sufficiently mobile to turn 180 degrees and move and then keep going? (Which of course their lighter bretheran can) Hahaha
As in FOGAM I never viewed this as a turn, move, turn manoeuvre but simply a game mechanic in this IGOUGO game to represent an historical tactic of more mobile, shooting cavalry trying to keep their distance from those who would prefer to get stuck in. Still needs a CMT. The only other way to represent it was to allow the enemy mounted to close right up then evade and pray; in my experience they were caught too often. This gives them a chance to use the correct tactics a bit longer.

One of the few things about the changes I like.

Sorry to hear you are giving up FOGR Don but you are right that, for whatever reason, the evidence is the FOGR competition scene is dying off. Shame because it is still an excellent set of rules and will continue to be played at our club for years to come. Too many of us have invested time and effort into re-basing what were previously unused armies, and getting new ones, for this fascinating period. All credit for that goes to FOGR.
Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos »

quackstheking wrote:But it's purely a fix to address non historical match-ups! Why?

If the mounted bow range is also reduced to 3" then the only reason to turn, move and turn back is to get out of short range and yet still get shot! If the P&S close to under 1" then a fancy manoevre will still be in short range. P&S will rarely charge a mtd bow unit - better to break them by morale rather than base losses (especially with the changed average break points needing 3 base looses to break)

Don
Ummm... I'm pretty certain the thread about cavalry movement didn't mention Pike and Shot at all... it was almost purely a discussion on the interaction between horse archers and other cavalry.

Return to “FOGR Update”