Determined Horse at Impact

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Determined Horse at Impact

Post by nikgaukroger »

I strongly suspect that in the actual battles there was a certain amount of units essentially pairing off for their fights with gaps between them, whereas in our table top game we tend to have lines of units next to each other without gaps.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

I say this knowing how difficult the rule would be to write but maybe we need something like the Divisional move rule - any BG not honouring is automatically Severely Disordered. (You could choose to restrict this to Impact Phase if you so choose...)
Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos »

timmy1 wrote:I say this knowing how difficult the rule would be to write but maybe we need something like the Divisional move rule - any BG not honouring is automatically Severely Disordered. (You could choose to restrict this to Impact Phase if you so choose...)
Problem is (especially with cavalry) BGs don't necessarily correspond to tactical units.
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

Jhykronos wrote:
1. How does the proposal really mitigate the issue with deploying wide? Against 2 units of horse, the DH aren't going to have an overlap anyway, and against anything smaller they are already going to get the overlap benefit in melee..
I absolutely agree - the fact such a benefit would rarely be claimed in practice makes it even more marginal a benefit

But if we are wanting to recreate DH sweeping away enemy units very, very quickly on a few very rare occasions (when the stars all align in their favour etc etc etc or more prosaically when their opposition obliges by being caught in 'divisional move' formation), as well as trying to "encourage" (rather than mandating/forcing) them to deploy in shallow formations a little more often it all does seem to kinda fit ,,,,
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com

Return to “FOGR Update”