The future of FOG-AM competitions...

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design

grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: The future of FOG-AM competitions...

Post by grahambriggs »

madaxeman wrote:Is there any visibility as yet on when the new version will be published?

(I had heard talk it would be in time for Britcon, so if that is the case it would be good to know so I can promote that to players and show attendees)
I've dropped Terry a line to ask him. I know the deal was signed with the publisher so it is "in production" but haven't seen any production proofs to typo check yet. Also, they were looking to get the first army list book out at the same time.
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

grahambriggs wrote:
madaxeman wrote:Is there any visibility as yet on when the new version will be published?

(I had heard talk it would be in time for Britcon, so if that is the case it would be good to know so I can promote that to players and show attendees)
I've dropped Terry a line to ask him. I know the deal was signed with the publisher so it is "in production" but haven't seen any production proofs to typo check yet. Also, they were looking to get the first army list book out at the same time.
Terry has spoken to the publisher and they believe the rules will not be out in time for Britcon - more likely end August.
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »

grahambriggs wrote: Terry has spoken to the publisher and they believe the rules will not be out in time for Britcon - more likely end August.
Pooh I have been saving up my pocket money!!
ChrisTofalos
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ChrisTofalos »

Just tried to register for Warfare and noticed FOG seems to be falling behind numbers-wise compared to almost everything else. ADLG has twice as many entries.

Publicity for FOG seems to be on the poor side. I don't like MeG but full credit to Simon Hall for his efforts to promote his rules. There's hardly a day goes by on Facebook without a MeG related post from Simon. When I searched for Field of Glory I got two pages: One was a basic page about the rules and the other concerned the ELO rankings. Last posts on both were in 2012 (when FOG-AM V2 was announced!).

The future to which I originally referred isn't looking too good. Can we please have an updated Facebook page for Version 3? And some concerted and determined efforts to promote the rules?

Chris
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Just tried to register for Warfare and noticed FOG seems to be falling behind numbers-wise compared to almost everything else.
Not sure that is fair Chris. FoG is already sold out for Warfare. Derby was similarly sold out quite quickly. Both events feature popular trade shows and table space is limited. ADLG is the best supported rules set so was allocated more tables at Warfare. Lots of regular FoG players have already left it too late for Warfare.
Publicity for FOG seems to be on the poor side.
That is spot on. MeG has Simon. ADLG has Tim Porter. Terry seems reluctant to take on a similar role for FoG. I wonder if our Evaluator of Supremacy would take on such a role?

Having the rules set actually available to buy is hopefully a positive first step. But with no clear timetable for release of the army list books I suspect that competition organisers will be reluctant to commit to V3. Tim wants to publish the Roll Call theme but cannot do so without knowing which will book(s) will be available.
Pete
ChrisTofalos

Post by ChrisTofalos »

ADLG is the best supported rules set
Oh no! It appears Tim's conversion to the dark side is having an effect. Got to admit, I still read his amusing battle reports; it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who gets in a tangle on the wargames table! :D However, from the reports it's seems to me ADLG is just DBMM with knobs on (or DBMM in French!). Games looks great at deployment but as time wears on the battlefield looks very confusing, with individual elements stranded all over the place. I started with 3rd Edition in the early 70s and proper units just seem right (as they do with most other periods/rulesets). Can't really understand it; if players are prepared to put up with the 'fireworks display', what was wrong with DBMM?
Terry seems reluctant to take on a similar role for FoG
I'm sure Terry has had his hands full with creating Version 3 - and still has with the army lists. In the meantime, MeG and ADLG have been taking full advantage. I'm quite prepared to create a FOG-AM Facebook page and get the ball rolling, if Terry has no objections? Listing events, battle reports, reviews, etc, might create a bit more interest in what, to me, is the best and most enjoyable ancients rules I've seen - so far!

Anyone else volunteer to act as an admin?

Chris
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Go for it Chris - we don't have anything at the moment so hopefully it can only be a bonus. Personally I'm not on Facebook but lots of other people are.

Anything that bangs the drum for FoG has to be a good thing.
Pete
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

Chris, I'll help out with the admin on Facebook. I'll start posting my blog AAR to the page too.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
abivor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by abivor »

As ever I am a bit odd - I am being tempted back to FoGAM by version 3. I've mainly been playing FoGR for a couple of years. Why did I do that - novelty mainly, a couple of new centuries I hadn't looked at for a long time. I also moved to the Isle of Wight where the availability of FoG games of any kind is extremely low.
However, I am being tempted by version 3, and I'm even painting up a new ancient army for the first time for years and years, so I am hoping to get to some competitions in the coming year. Travelling to club nights on the Mainland however is prohibitively expensive even for an Island resident so a small number comps is all I get to.
The contributor who mentioned the second day of a comp being more relaxed is absolutely right - a good trouncing in the first game could usually set you up for a pleasant weekend, but this is not unique to FoG - it was ever thus. I come to competitions to get a few games in and to see old friends. I don't expect to win (which is just as well).
Points that I have gleaned from the discussion that I think are pointing in the right way include:
1. Early notification of themes - it really makes a difference to planning what you are doing. The contributor who highlighted the difference between using your carefully painted heroes as opposed to something cobbled together is absolutely right.
2. Narrow themes are ok so long a they are well thought out. Completely open is possibly going a little far - they may end up being largely mediaeval.
3. Prizes for painting figures, armies, etc are an excellent idea. One of my treasured possessions is a painting prize from Roll Call in the 80s. Make them rule specific.....best FoGAM army.

Nigel Phillips
abivor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by abivor »

One other thing - on the version 3 lists. What happened to Babylon? Erased from history? Not even an ally list? One of the great empires just gone - Wow!
Otherwise a good set.

Nigel
shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon »

abivor wrote:One other thing - on the version 3 lists. What happened to Babylon? Erased from history? Not even an ally list? One of the great empires just gone - Wow!
Otherwise a good set.

Nigel
See this post:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 73&t=80429
abivor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by abivor »

Excellent - thanks for that!
Nigel
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

abivor wrote:As ever I am a bit odd - I am being tempted back to FoGAM by version 3. I've mainly been playing FoGR for a couple of years. Why did I do that - novelty mainly, a couple of new centuries I hadn't looked at for a long time. I also moved to the Isle of Wight where the availability of FoG games of any kind is extremely low.
However, I am being tempted by version 3, and I'm even painting up a new ancient army for the first time for years and years, so I am hoping to get to some competitions in the coming year. Travelling to club nights on the Mainland however is prohibitively expensive even for an Island resident so a small number comps is all I get to.
The contributor who mentioned the second day of a comp being more relaxed is absolutely right - a good trouncing in the first game could usually set you up for a pleasant weekend, but this is not unique to FoG - it was ever thus. I come to competitions to get a few games in and to see old friends. I don't expect to win (which is just as well).
Points that I have gleaned from the discussion that I think are pointing in the right way include:
1. Early notification of themes - it really makes a difference to planning what you are doing. The contributor who highlighted the difference between using your carefully painted heroes as opposed to something cobbled together is absolutely right.
2. Narrow themes are ok so long a they are well thought out. Completely open is possibly going a little far - they may end up being largely mediaeval.
3. Prizes for painting figures, armies, etc are an excellent idea. One of my treasured possessions is a painting prize from Roll Call in the 80s. Make them rule specific.....best FoGAM army.

Nigel Phillips
Good to see you're enjoying the new version Nigel. The second book of lists (essentially 0AD to 1000AD) has now gone off to the printers so not long to wait.

Return to “Field of Glory 3.0 Beta”