Do 1st three campaigns include US forces withdrawal?

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
bill burroughs
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Do 1st three campaigns include US forces withdrawal?

Post by bill burroughs »

I have completed the battle of Laskhar Gah, operation Mountain Thrust 2006 and the battle of the Panjwaii Valley and am having a blast with this game all the time. The counterinsurgency model here is both relatively easy to grasp and seemingly realistic, creating some astonishingly deep levels of simulation. However, in neither of the scenarios above had I the withdrawal event on turn 50 and there was no handover of the responsibility to the ANA, the US forces remained in full in the field unless I decided to exit them manually nearing the end of the Panjwaii valley battle and was given the recruiter badge for rotating off the filed more than 20 US units. I had all of the operational objectives met successfully around turn 50 - even with a greater than safe H&M margin, both general and that one particular in the objective Alfa region - but nothing ever happened. I have read the briefing for the fourth campaign in eastern Afghanistan on the Pakistani border - operation Mountain Fury 2006 that is -- and there is an ISAF handover mentioned in the personnel section, but no date fixed so I am figuring out it is nonetheless hardcoded and fixed for turn 50, but again what if nothing happens. The briefing mentions "returning the land to the Afghan people", but I am having doubts anyway. I was using game version 1.1.8, only recently updated to 1.1.12.
AgrippaHX
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Do 1st three campaigns include US forces withdrawal?

Post by AgrippaHX »

I'm not sure if this is helpful in any way, but the version last I played was 2.0.0, so you're a couple patches behind.

I haven't completed that much of the campaign, but I also noticed the lack of ANA handover in the early missions. Then again, that seemed plausible given they are early missions.
bill burroughs

Post by bill burroughs »

I also had a similar suspicion that it is way too early for a handover historically, but at the same time I managed to bring about quite an ahistoric bulidup in the field in the battle of the Panjwaii Valley and that enabled me to achieve a decisive victory, also not a very accurate replica of what historically happened so why not offer the ANA an unique chance to show what they are really worth, especially if a situation didn't put them in a harm's way too often because of a strategic insurgency defeat.

If the version 2.0.0 comes with Royal Marines then I am not into that yet; does the Royal Marines DLC introduce roadblocks and other new stuff into older scenarios?
Last edited by bill burroughs on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AgrippaHX

Post by AgrippaHX »

I don't have Royal Marines and still have game version 2.0.0.

No, the DLC won't add content to the original campaign as far as I know.
bill burroughs

Post by bill burroughs »

Indeed, I run the update tool and it downloaded the latest official patch 2.0.0; I had waited with the update until I finished operation Achilles, just in case. Thanks for keeping me update then, the update tool didn't work properly for some time and that way I must have missed the latest developments. I'll be buying the Royal Marines DLC any time now, I once read that for PC games what counts is their initial success - or the lack of thereof - once they hit the market.

Return to “Afghanistan '11”