so is MOAB bugged?

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
Poliorcetes
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

so is MOAB bugged?

Post by Poliorcetes »

Ok, so I spent 4,000pp to drop MOAB on 4 taliban units. Nice animation but no damage was done to any of the units? Either its bugged OR there is yet another undocumented feature (I notice the units were all on one side of a ridge and MOAB drop was on the other side, so is there a physics overlay to all of this???).

Can anyone explain what the red dots on my Intelligence map mean? They seem to correlate with IED explosions. But its not clear why I need to keep track of that. I know there is mention of "triangulating" onto caves, but yet again there isn't any explanation as to how that works (is it automatic? do I manually have to do it? is there a way to mark it on the map once I figure it out? what can you do with caves other than scare them with MOAB?)

Is there a way to see my villages morale score or is it just hidden information? How am I supposed to balance when to take out opium fields when I don't know what the negative hit will be (I think I saw a -2 once, which would make it equal to 1 UN aid)?

I notice the map gets dark every so often, is that "winter"? I assume they model the spring offensive but there's no dates anywhere so its unclear how long a turn is or what month it is.

At its core it seems a fun game, but the lack of documentation, no map keys, or in-game information (like how much any of my base expansions cost . . . wtf?) really add a whole layer of frustration that detracts from the fun.
Poliorcetes

Re: so is MOAB bugged?

Post by Poliorcetes »

Well I did notice that by the end of the game a few of the multi-red hexes had coalesced into a single slightly redder hex. Which did seem to be a cave(spawn point). So I could post sentry on that area, but didn't really see anything else to do (beyond wasting another MOAB on it).
AgrippaHX
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by AgrippaHX »

Poliorcetes wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 pm Ok, so I spent 4,000pp to drop MOAB on 4 taliban units. Nice animation but no damage was done to any of the units? Either its bugged OR there is yet another undocumented feature (I notice the units were all on one side of a ridge and MOAB drop was on the other side, so is there a physics overlay to all of this???).
I'm a bit doubtful on the physics suggestion. I'm just not sure that level of sophistication is present. I tried a MOAB today, and it had the same effect for me. It made a big explosion but it didn't hurt any of the visible units within its AoE. You'd think that it would do some serious damage, though I launched it also hoping that there might be a cave near the cluster of units. Are caves ever revealed? Is there any confirmation if one is hit by a MOAB?
I know there is mention of "triangulating" onto caves, but yet again there isn't any explanation as to how that works (is it automatic? do I manually have to do it? is there a way to mark it on the map once I figure it out? what can you do with caves other than scare them with MOAB?)

I think "triangulating" just refers to trying to discern a pattern. It's not the right term.
Is there a way to see my villages morale score or is it just hidden information? How am I supposed to balance when to take out opium fields when I don't know what the negative hit will be (I think I saw a -2 once, which would make it equal to 1 UN aid)?
I don't think you can see the morale score, no, though the flag flying over the village will give you a rough idea based on your most recent interaction with the village (ie. that info can be out-of-date if you haven't visited in a while).
I notice the map gets dark every so often, is that "winter"? I assume they model the spring offensive but there's no dates anywhere so its unclear how long a turn is or what month it is.
Yeah, I noticed that too. No idea.
At its core it seems a fun game, but the lack of documentation, no map keys, or in-game information (like how much any of my base expansions cost . . . wtf?) really add a whole layer of frustration that detracts from the fun.
I've seen from videos of older versions of the game that there used to be tooltips on unit action icons that, among other things, told you how much base expansions cost. I'm assuming those are no longer displayed due to a bug rather than an intentional design decision, but despite seeing it brought up in a couple forums, I can't find any response from the developer or publisher. I guess this is a bug, I guess they are aware of it, and I hope it'll be fixed some time in the future. I really think the tooltips should get hotfixed. I'm sure they're not important to people who've been playing for weeks, but it's making my first experiences pretty frustrating to have to guess at things.
Be Small

Post by Be Small »

MOAB kills caves / Talib spawn points. You will have to figure out where they spawn by zooming in on them with your commandos on overwatch.
The good thing is they cannot spawn any units anymore. The bad things is they cannot spawn any units any more, meaning you cannot gain experience and PP anymore. I've never used MOAB.

By rule you take out opium fields asap, irrespective of villages morale. Opium fields fund new Talib units. The sooner you kill it, the fewer units will come at you.

The maps gets darker the further you get into the game.

Base expansion cost is there, last time I checked. As per AgrippaHX, it may be buggy. Send in a bug report to the maker, he is very responsive.
Aka Fokker G1, A.B. Ushavov (CMMC)
AgrippaHX

Post by AgrippaHX »

Be Small wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm MOAB kills caves / Talib spawn points.
I know this will seem picky, but I'm correcting you just because it's an important mechanic we should be clear about: militia spawn from caves and can be disrupted by the MOAB; Taliban enter the map from the right (representing them entering from Pakistan bases). Your statement is correct, except you referenced Taliban not militia.

The good thing is they cannot spawn any units anymore.
Do you know if there is a time limit on this effect, or does any cave exit hit by a MOAB become permanently destroyed? The official documentation mentions the MOAB scaring rather than killing militia, which makes me suspect the effect is only temporary.

Basically, it seems overpriced costing both a lot of PP and also imposing a penalty to H&M for what I assume is temporarily disabling spawning from a suspected cave exit.

The maps gets darker the further you get into the game.
I noticed that the maps seems to darken usually because the next term is a sandstorm.

Base expansion cost is there, last time I checked. As per AgrippaHX, it may be buggy. Send in a bug report to the maker, he is very responsive.
Tooltips are mostly fixed. You can hover over the Buffalo (and presumably Terrier) base expansion action buttons to see cost.

EDIT: Minor, for clarity.
Last edited by AgrippaHX on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Small

Post by Be Small »

TY AgrippaHX; valid additions / corrections. My knowledge is a bit rusty since I haven't played for some time.
Aka Fokker G1, A.B. Ushavov (CMMC)

Return to “Afghanistan '11”