OMG

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
Poliorcetes
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

OMG

Post by Poliorcetes »

This COULD be a great game, but I am spending/wasting hours trying to get through the tutorial because there is NO information on what anything is or how it works.
1. I am moving supplies to an FOB, but I don't know if I just have to let the truck sit there a turn, or do I push the Supply button with the line across it?
2. Same with UN supplies, I can get my truck there but then nothing happens.
3. How do I supply my troops with a helicopter? I can get the food or fuel on the helicopter and next to the unit that needs it. But again I don't know what button to push to unload it into the unit.
And since its the tutorial there is no save game, so I have to guess on an action and if wrong too many times I have to restart the entire tutorial, WTF!

The manual is almost useless and there is no in-game help or manual access in the tutorial (I haven't even gotten to the actual game). I have LOST 2 tutorial missions!!!! I have been playing wargames, both board and computer since the 80's, and I can't get through your friggin tutorial????

I am absolutely baffled how you are already on an update for MOAB or convoy's when there is no in game help on supply costs, delivery, or what icons actually mean. Seriously, the whole game is centered around logistics and I it feels like I have to just blindly guess about how the most basic of game actions are activated.
demyansk
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: OMG

Post by demyansk »

I agree with you polio, I am running into the same problems, the lack of descriptions on some of the icons is baffling. Maybe, some youtube videos would help, keep in touch and maybe we can figure it out. This looks like a decent video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... R-kepC14nU
Sutefanu
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Sutefanu »

I think this actually might be a bug with the missing tooltips. Hopefully it will be fixed in a patch soon.
Be Small

Post by Be Small »

Hi,
My experience is quote different and I found supply pretty intuitive. And, yes, logistics are an important aspect of the game.

You actively have to deliver the supply. You will need to load FOB-supply from your HQ, to resupply the FOB. The benefit of this is that you can resupply your FOB once it is out of resupply. This is important because it reduces the logistics cost of resupplying and it takes away the need to micro-manager your supply truck to reach your FOB just when it runs out of supply.

Your infantry will take rations/ammo (max 5 turns of supply) from the FOB when they need it; keep your infantry within range of the FOB (do not mind the warning message that you will get).
Hardware, will take fuel for free (does not cost FOB supply) at the rate of one turn's need per turn it ends in the FOB. In case you want to fuel up all to the max, you need to spend one supply point from your FOB to refueling to the max.

You can also resupply units outside of the FOB by truck, MRAP, Chopper, etc. This is however costly, since it costs PP. So ideally you you spread out your FOBs and keep units close. You do this by loading supply from your HQ or FOB and delivering it (using the supply command) to the specific unit you want to resupply.

UN aid does nothing in a FOB, it needs to be delivered to the villages. Drive your truck there and it will auto-take the aid. Idem for choppers.

Hope this helps.
Aka Fokker G1, A.B. Ushavov (CMMC)
westcoast917

Post by westcoast917 »

I picked this game up when Royal Marines came out and both were on sale for 40% off.

I found this game a little frustrating at first as well, but I'll admit I haven't read the manual.

To answer the specific question, the easiest way to get supplies, or aid, to a location is to load them on a vehicle and then use the 'Deliver' icon when outside of the HQ/FOB. However, this isn't an ideal method. The vehicle will find its best route and simply go there. There could be dangers/enemy along the way. It's probably better to load up, route the vehicle along the way, and then when it's close enough, use the 'Deliver' icon to drop the goods. You can also use convoys, which are a bit more challenging to setup, but even safer.

SCD
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

Let's just say you did well at 40% off. I bought AFGAN and NAM at full price, but there is no longer a need to do this. Just wait. Same with $10 DLC. Devs need to make a living, but I have already made my contributions.

But glad you are getting into the game. Honestly, I used Cheat Engine to explore stuff and understand the details without getting blown away.
AgrippaHX
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by AgrippaHX »

westcoast917 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 pmIt's probably better to load up, route the vehicle along the way, and then when it's close enough, use the 'Deliver' icon to drop the goods. You can also use convoys, which are a bit more challenging to setup, but even safer.
It might not be obvious, but you can drive your supply trucks right into your FOB and then click the deliver icon and deliver into their own hex. I would suggest this is preferable because of the way action points (AP) work. Trucks can move six hexes per action point down a dirt road, and let's say you're five hexes away from a FOB that you want to supply and have one AP left. You could do as you suggest and click deliver. The truck will drive five hexes, stop outside the FOB and supply it. This will cost its remaining AP and leave it exposed. Alternatively, you could just drive the truck into the FOB, which also costs one AP. You can then click deliver and drop off the supplies with your truck inside the base. This is possible because the deliver action is free and doesn't require the truck to have any points.

I don't like convoys for trucks because they seem to negate the special bonus that trucks receive for driving on roads (they can move twice as far per AP over a dirt or paved road as other vehicles), which leaves the limited-AP trucks extremely slow.

Typically, I'll "convoy" by putting a motorized infantry in front with a Husky convoyed to it. This way they move together, the infantry protecting the Husky from ambush and the Husky, thanks to its extended mine detection and destruction range, protects the infantry from hitting any mines. I then move the trucks up separately behind the lead vehicles. This is much faster than the more obvious behaviour of just convoying them all together — which then causes them all to move so slowly that they tend to run out of fuel than arriving anywhere.

I consider the convoy behaviour a bad implementation.

Return to “Afghanistan '11”