Request for Improvement - FOB Planning and Building

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
Captain_Orso
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Request for Improvement - FOB Planning and Building

Post by Captain_Orso »

This is a big request, actually several related request, but I think they would make the game easier to play and more enjoyable, and make it a bit more idiot-proof for players like me :lol: ... :shock:

1. When you have a Buffalo selected and click the build FOB button, the locations where you may build an FOB are highlighted. So-far-so-good. What I miss is being able to see what adjacent hexes can be used to build extensions to the FOB. I've been in situations where there was just one highlighted hex on which to build an FOB, with some adjacent hexes, which seemed to be open ground; but they weren't. It's hard to tell sometimes, until you've actually built the FOB, but then it's too late :cry:

My solution would be, when the build FOB button is clicked, when you hover the mouse pointer over a viable build hex, if the viable adjacent hexes for building extensions would be highlighted, the same as when you already have built an FOB and select a an extension button, the viable hexes adjacent to an FOB are highlighted. That would eliminate and bad surprises.

2. When building an extension onto an FOB, if an extension of the same type already exists on that FOB, give a warning that that type already exists. I wouldn't forbid it, but a warning would be nice. I've discovered a couple of times that I had mis-clicked the extension type in the heat of the moment while building extension, and much later discovered that instead of building a Field Hospital, I'd built a second Maint-Yard, right when I needed the Field Hospital :oops:

3. And this is the big one. Planning where to build FOB's can be a rather daunting task, because you often have to plan ahead for not just this next FOB, but then ones after that too. Counting out the 12 hexes minimum standoff from a planned FOB is a real PITA, especially when there are mountains in between. If you could put down planned-FOB markers that act like a real FOB for displaying where build limits are, it would make the planning so much easier and give the player a great visual support.

It's also a PITA once you've selected the hex where you want to build your FOB, and now have to move all your units into place to defend the area and actually build the FOB, because you have to constantly (well I do :shock: ) check again, exactly what hex was that where I want to build in. It would be so helpful if you could put a marker in the hex so you don't have to constantly select the Buffalo and again etc. etc. Yes, it's my picture on the bookcover of Afghanistan '11 for Dummies :roll:

These improvements would be really awesome :D

Return to “Afghanistan '11”