New Player Questions

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
IdahoNYer
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

New Player Questions

Post by IdahoNYer »

Just finished the tutorials and have started my first skirmish. Wow! This is a great little gem!

Couple of questions.

- One thing I just don't understand is why the AH-64 has no detection capability. It has the best sensors (thermals) of any US unit and was routinely used for proofing routes prior to major movements.

- What is the best way to detect enemy units when conducting a road movement? My Huskys seem to find the Talib the hard way and take a hit.

- Caves. Can caves be located and destroyed or is a notional concept?

- FOBs and the US Base - do they have any inherent defense capability or do they need to be garrisoned by infantry at all times?

- Any timeframe for when Convoys will be implemented?

thanks in advance!
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Re: New Player Questions

Post by Every Single Soldier »

IdahoNYer wrote:One thing I just don't understand is why the AH-64 has no detection capability. It has the best sensors (thermals) of any US unit and was routinely used for proofing routes prior to major movements.
More to do with balance thn the real world, there is a risk of the Apache being too powerful, plenty of debate on this one already :shock:
IdahoNYer wrote: What is the best way to detect enemy units when conducting a road movement? My Huskys seem to find the Talib the hard way and take a hit.
Put infantry into an MRAP and then drive ahead
IdahoNYer wrote:Caves. Can caves be located and destroyed or is a notional concept?
Caves actually exist, they are just not visible until the end of the game, you can triangulate their location via the INTEL SO
IdahoNYer wrote: FOBs and the US Base - do they have any inherent defense capability or do they need to be garrisoned by infantry at all times?
You need to garrison troops for protection
IdahoNYer wrote:Any timeframe for when Convoys will be implemented?
Very soon , just in testing at this point :shock:
Dassenkop
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Dassenkop »

IdahoNYer wrote:Just finished the tutorials and have started my first skirmish. Wow! This is a great little gem!

- What is the best way to detect enemy units when conducting a road movement? My Huskys seem to find the Talib the hard way and take a hit.
I tend to use, where possible, my 'special' troops to build Observations Posts (OP) overlooking the roads. There is also this remote flying thing (forgot the name) that can survey large areas in between the OP's.

The 'thing' (forgot the name ... again) that can build water towers in villages can also repair you're Husky while it's out of the base.
cranston
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by cranston »

Every Single Soldier wrote:
IdahoNYer wrote:
IdahoNYer wrote: What is the best way to detect enemy units when conducting a road movement? My Huskys seem to find the Talib the hard way and take a hit.
Put infantry into an MRAP and then drive ahead
How does this actually work?
I've tried building a convoy with an MRAP followed by a Husky, but the IED blew under the MRAP.
I suppose I could have a Husky 2 hexes behind the MRAP, move the Husky one hex forward, then the MRAP, then the Husky, then the MRAP...
But that's just crawling.
niftyeyes
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by niftyeyes »

Stick the Husky ahead and put the MRAP in the same convoy, if any of our bearded friends appear the Infantry can dive out and deal with the threat.

I tend to put UAV's in the air to provide overwatch on routes, if anything appears it either eats an A-10, F16 or Apache, sometimes you just get unlucky but generally a husky can survive the initial ambush.

Return to “Afghanistan '11”