LZ's & Vehicle Accessible Terrain

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
Captain_Orso
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

LZ's & Vehicle Accessible Terrain

Post by Captain_Orso »

It is far from apparent, to me at least, where--exactly which hexes--you can land helicopters in the mountains. This is very important, to plan a pickup of units in the mountains. Currently you have to guess and try until you find a place where a helicopter can pick up a unit.

The same goes for vehicles, although, you can play around with the Route-Ribbon™ to try to figure out where you can actually drive, even if it might take a couple of turns to get there.

Suggestion/Request
Put a button on all units* that overlays all hexes into which an helicopter can land. Unless I'm mistaken, if an helicopter can land in an hex, a vehicle can also drive there, if there is a contiguous set of connected hexes to the target location. This would display like when you click on the Build FOB button on the Buffalo, which shows you an overlay of viable target hexes.

This would be very, very helpful :wink:

*Especially Infantry and SF need this to know where LZ's are, so they can move to next to one. It would also make the accessibility of valleys apparent for vehicles.
niftyeyes
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: LZ's & Vehicle Accessible Terrain

Post by niftyeyes »

Maybe not for regular infantry but if Special Forces can fast rope down onto a mountain and land safely what is stopping them getting back into the helicopter exactly the same way? Might be a bit of a climb lads but its better than tabbing it all the way back to the HQ lol
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

Two things , not really as simple getting back in as getting out in mountians and secondly, balance. The SF unit is already all powerfull (range, distance, cross river , air strikes etc) have to contain it to a degree :shock:
Captain_Orso
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Captain_Orso »

True, they are very elite, but it's really only a question of information. The unit G-3 certainly ought to have a map with viable areas for a pick up, in fact have it all planned out long before the pilot's had his morning Cup-o-Java™ :wink:

I'd like to keep that the one big complaint I have about this game, is that is so darn addictive :D

Please don't make it difficult to play. I'm still going to send my SF into he mountains to set up an OP's; I'll still find an LZ for the extraction. But the fun part of the game is not fighting with the UI; it's fighting with the Taliban :D

Beside, it will not be as much and advantage for the SF as it will be for the regulars.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Captain_Orso wrote:Beside, it will not be as much and advantage for the SF as it will be for the regulars.
Balancing this game is not at 100% yet , so always taking feedback and making small incremental changes, very complex to balance all the units together, but getting close to optimum and having lots of fun doing it :D
Captain_Orso
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Captain_Orso »

On further thought, knowing where you can land or drive should not be a tool for balance. It wouldn't actually change the way any of the units currently work at all. It would only give the player the tools to do the job he already has to do.

You might think of it this way, if it were already in the game, and you took it away, imagine the out-cry at losing the tool. I think players in general haven't realized yet that it's missing; other than my pesky self :wink:
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Wasn't reffering to the overlay of moveable hexes , which I think would be a nice to have (ultimately) but not a current priority, we have convoy, sandbox etc etc on the dashboard :D

Return to “Afghanistan '11”