Feature Request - Save Anytime Function

Afghanistan '11 changes the paradigm of wargaming and manages to bring Counter-Insurgency and guerrilla warfare to your screen, properly represented thanks to a revolutionary gameplay formula!
Temple
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Feature Request - Save Anytime Function

Post by Temple »

Real life intrudes when playing A'11 and sometimes I can't wait till I finish all moves and do an "End Turn" to save the game before I have to shut down. It would be really helpful to be able to save the game anytime.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Feature Request - Save Anytime Function

Post by bebro »

I support this.
Soar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Soar »

Yes. It appears that currently, the game doesn't save when you quit a mission, only when you end a turn, so if you play a turn partway through and then have to leave, you lose progress. Rather annoying.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Some ppl also might want to share saves with others or keep a certain point for a later re-play (without wanting to play a whole mission again).
JLChamberlain
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by JLChamberlain »

I second this - reverting to the start of a turn you got most of the way through is annoying. Plus I want more than one save slot, please.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Post by Every Single Soldier »

This has been an ongoing debate sonce V65, and it seems it will continue, its really all about save scumming which effectively kills the sore game mechanics of detection etc
Soar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Soar »

It's not like saving only at the start of each turn does all that much to prevent savescumming, since it's letting you always easily restore to the start of turn. It's practically impossible to totally prevent anyway, but games that care about that sort of thing normally do save the game state whenever you exit the game. Some people will inevitably savescum, but please don't make the game experience worse for the rest of us on their account.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

Will put it on the list, trying to keep everyone happy all the time is challenging :shock:
OldBlighty
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by OldBlighty »

Not so worried about save any time, but this game needs to be saved at least each turn, so that you can go back to your last save when the game crashes. I'm on mission 5, played 33 turns - went back to the game after logging out, and it won't reload. Unless this can be fixed, there is no way I'm going to start the mission a 4th time. (Started on version 1.00, then restarted when it went to 1.02, then restarted again when went to 1.04).
Have emailed support with this, so I hope it can be solved, or I shall reluctantly have to seek a refund.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

The game saves automatically at the beginning of every new turn
OldBlighty

Post by OldBlighty »

Every Single Soldier wrote:The game saves automatically at the beginning of every new turn
Yes, but that's not much use if that save crashes every time you try and load it. To clarify what I meant, this game needs more than one save slot. Tried ver. 1.05 - save game still crashes and I'm not prepared to start the scenario yet again from scratch.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

This is only happening because of new patches, now the game will save every new turn , so should it crash you can re-load it
OldBlighty

Post by OldBlighty »

Every Single Soldier wrote:This is only happening because of new patches, now the game will save every new turn , so should it crash you can re-load it
The game only saves your most recent turn. This is useless if you have to start a scenario from scratch every time there is a new patch. Patches need to be compatible with previous version saves. I know you are doing your best with very prompt updates which is commendable, but I have no wish to spend another 15 hours repeating a scenario every time there is a new patch.
Every Single Soldier
Vietnam ’65 developer
Vietnam ’65 developer

I understand, but if you have worked on the code that actually saves the scenarios it is not possible
JLChamberlain
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by JLChamberlain »

Something like what other games use as an Ironman mode would be great - the game only saves when you exit the scenario and you can't keep multiple saves. That would prevent save scumming.
Tomcattwo

Post by Tomcattwo »

Totally agree with @JLChaimberlain. The player should be able to decide about when to save. If a player enjoys save-scumming so be it. If a player prefers ironman, so be it. The player should be able to decide how they most enjoy playing the game. I find it useful to save often when I am learning how to play a new game, but save much less often if looking for more of a challenge once I am comfortable with how the game plays. Strongly recommend implementing a setting for "save on demand", "normal - save at beginning of each turn" or "ironman" only 1 savegame slot.
My 2c
R/
TC2

Return to “Afghanistan '11”