New to sanctum reach

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
stegg88
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

New to sanctum reach

Post by stegg88 »

Hi folks

Now I am a bit of a veteran of slitherine games. Like, I played over 100 hours sengoku jidai plus fields of glory etc. I know how the system works and generally in those games I do not bad, I dont win all the time, Id say about fifty fifty, Im fine with that.

I learned the hard way, by throwing myself at opponents until I got the hang of what does what...

New to sanctum reach, really cool game but oh my god I am awful with orks. I have no idea how to even scratch the space marines.

And advice for a budding ork player? How do I take down the following:

venerable dreadnought
regular dreadnought
both coming at me at the same time
terminators of any sort (especially thunder hammer storm shield termies)
hit and run land speeders. (my mobile stuff sadly does not have an assault cannon and guns that do hurt them generally miss)

I always liked orks and dislike space wolves generally speaking (played the tabletop a lot). I really would like to be respectable online but even against the computer in skirmishes I am just bouncing against anything heavy the space wolves throw at me. Ork stuff also seems super expensive considering what it does...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I searched the forum for a similar topic but couldnt find one)
Parallax
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017

Re: New to sanctum reach

Post by Parallax »

I have no experience in multiplayer, but in skirmish and in campaign the best ork units are: battle wagons, flash gitz, warbikers, meganobz and morkanauts. They are extremely powerfull, especially with proper abilities. Anti-armour ammo - the best choice IMO for any unit in the game. To beat dreadnoughts, try to fire in rear and side parts if it possible. Mogrok have inner ability to give cover for adjacent units, weirdboyz also have the same active ability. Red morkanaut have this ability to. Don't avoid to pick warbuggy, if you level up this 60 point unit with anti-armour ammo, it would be very potent and cheap unit. If you have artillery, try to strike masses
stegg88

Post by stegg88 »

Sadly I was meaning online multiplayer. No levelling up so no anti armour ammo or anything like that. Its been me getting brutally slaughtered so far...
MartiusR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MartiusR »

To be honest, I had exactly the same feeling - Orks seem to be terrible (when used by player) in destroying any heavy gear of other sides of conflict. I'm starting to think that they're simply need to be buffed, especially for skirmish/multiplayer purposes, where units are not gaining levels.

But trying to figure out something - I would try with units mentioned by Parallax + weirdboys and their distance attack (forgot the name, but it's the one which is heavily damaging single unit and needs to load after using it). I think that in some cases meganobz can be sufficient with meelee fight (power claws), plus I would try to attack from the rear, especially with such units as warbikes. I've noticed during campaigns (generally) that some of my units were able to deal some sufficient damage to heavy units of enemy if I've attacked them from the rear instead of front.

The simplest way is attacking first with meelee unit (then enemy unit is usually facing toward melee attacker), and then attack from the rear.

And if you have some "leader units", such as Mogrok, then use their meelee attacks - usually meelee attacks of leaders are quite powerful even against heavy units.

Although sadly, I wouldn't be suprised if none of those methods would be sufficient - playing with Orks is painful in Sanctus Reach, and it doesn't help that some attacks have really weird damage dispersion (attacking with the same weapon, whcih should be in theory effective, is sometimes dealing suprisingly low damage).
Fosil
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Fosil »

in MP mega nobs are your bread & butter units. together with supa kannons you have a solid base to deal with everything that space wolves have. avoid flash gitz, combi-shoota nobs and killa kans, they are too expensive for what they can do compared to other ork units. the rest of the roster is pretty solid and the heroes are great. your biggest advantage against space wolves are your cheap spotters (rustgob with free gretchin spawns or 40points boys) and your warp field and shield ability, that reduces alot of ranged damage coming from more than 3 tiles distance (if you fire from 2 tiles distance from the centre of the warp field or from unit with the shield ability, the warp field and the shield will do nothing). you can split your forces with less risk compared to other factions, while still having a really solid 12 tiles range fire base, that will force a space wolves player to close the distance or avoid your firing lanes. (if he has no whirlwind). the waaagh movement buff is great to close the distance for a facerippa lead flanking force.

you want to avoid melee combat against their dedicated melee units, because all of them have higher combat skills and better armor (facerippa and painboy buffed mega nobs are an exception). you want to have some mobile flanking force (loaded battlewagons probably) to be able to deal with a whirlwind and you want enough shootas/big shootas to deal with blackmane or logan.

predators and dreads will lose against supa kannons pretty hard and both dread variants are vulnerable to forced facing changes through melee. even without supa kannons, even shootas are enough to take both of them down pretty fast if you can expose their rear. you want some deffkoptas with rokkits to deal with terminators (they are unreliable but hit every model of an unit). thunder hammer terminators are slow enough to avoid, but be careful of stormbolter termies. they can do alot of ranged damage in one round.

painboys are a great counter against space wolve melee builds, especially their aoe damage grenades are match winners (they deal damage twice per turn for several turns to every model in the aoe-area). weirdboys have a good ranged attack with cooldown, that always hits, they are okay for sniping land speeders. both are squishy units that have to stay out of LoS or in a transporter.

supa kannon overwatch traps (their overwatch has 8 tiles range, same as spotting range) and teleporting units with mogroks to increase movement range to get into range can work against landspeeders too. war bikes work probably best, but they need some spotter and careful positioning to get the drop on a landspeeder.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I had enough of World War II and I bought Sanctus Reach.
I didn't expect this game to absorb me so much ...
Incredible fun!
I play the first campaign on the Veteran level, I haven't read the manual, I try to use intuition and I'm doing pretty well.
If you're good at strategy games, you can handle with every single one :wink:
DocDesastro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: New to sanctuS reach

Post by DocDesastro »

I have no multiplayer experience, but from what I gather from game mechanics I would suggest the following:

First: you have strength in numbers. Orks are ridiculously cheap. Use the cheap units to your advantage and try to win a war of attrition. Terminators cannot last long when experiencing a hailstorm of bullets. Try to imagine, what amount of shootas you get for the points the terminators are worth. Do not cluster up, though, unless you want to get ripped by frag missiles and whirlwind launchers.

Second: Use gretchins as your eyes and ears and shields. Use them to trigger reaction fire. Replenish with runtherdz continuously.

Third: All 'problem units' you mentioned do not approve of the supa cannon. Venerable Dreadnoughts are generally untouchable in melee unless you use a Warboss, but the normal ones can be tied up by standard units in melee and even damaged. Meganobz are a good way to get rid of normal dreadnoughts as their wolf claw is a bit weak. Venerable dreadnoughts tend to get a bit gung-ho and strand in front of their army in a wake of hostiles. Although you cannot flank them, you can still try to use a stormboy unit to the back to attack the VD - so it turns its back towards the orks. Micromanage the movement. Only one sprite needs to get through. This sacrifice is justifyable. Do not forget to throw your krak stikkbomb elsewhere like thunder hammers. Then shower the VC's back with the love of your flash gitz, War trukks and even shootaz.

Lastly: Psykers seem to give a frag about armour and do huge numbers of damage to every unit. Remeber one thing: Almost nothing likes to be swarmed by orks. The moment you lock the marines into melee - they will lose eventually and sucumb to your numbers. Take out flamer weapons, restore morale with Waaaagh! and do not cluster your troops. Protect your flanks like with a big shoota killerkan.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

A mob of Shooters and Sluggers together with Super Kannon(s), Flash Gitz, and Weird Boy would be tough to beat. Add in some lucky or precise hits from the War Biker and you are laughing..
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”