Would we say the same of Chess? Also, questions on gameplay

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
Grimdarc
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Would we say the same of Chess? Also, questions on gameplay

Post by Grimdarc »

I look at this game as chess-like. Chess represents medieval conflict between kingdoms. Sanctus Reach represents the 40K TT game that represents conflict in 40k sci-fi lore. I'm fine with the close-combat restrictions and lack of buildings, etc. Everyone wants a PC version of the TT game, but chalk it up to the 'let's pretend' game the world plays called intellectual property. Seeing a flurry of threads downgrading this game for lack of TT accuracy is to me similar to pointing out that horses rarely fly over soldiers in fixed-direction L-Shape movements. The focus of critiques should be placed on whether its a good game. We can all have our opinions of Chess. No one can question that its a good game, if only for humans.

I'm having initial difficulty mis-reading tooltips. I suppose the game manual did advise just playing the game to figure out how it goes. The weirdboy ability that shields units says 50% cover for units in range, however it would have been helpful to know if the shield moved with the weirdboy or if individual units carried the 50% cover effect or as it happens the shield is static, immobile AOE effect. Taken literally the ability renders 50% cover to the units themselves, not a static AOE effect.

Secondly, while perhaps LOS should be a guessing game I am having trouble figuring out what provides cover. I learned as my chopper was blown apart that it remains high when stationary. I don't think it received cover from unit in front of it. I assumed that since helicopters can be melee'd when stationary that they could hide behind ground units. Not so. What can an air unit hide behind? The Stormclaws appear to be on their feet when stationary. The Stormboyz are in the air while stationary. Does this mean that Stormboyz cannot hide behind a ground unit? Can an Air unit hide behind a Battlewagon or Dreadnought?

What is the percentage of movement decrease corresponding to consuming an action? The hit-and-run units can quickly become hit or run units. In general is it expected to only fire once in a hit & run maneuver to conserve movement? Seems like Wolves have advantage in Open terrain with land speeder and Orks need nearby cover to hit-and-run effectively with 4-tile range chopper. Rokkit chopper did 3 damage to a basic dreadnought bc.. rockets explode less the farther they travel..regardless, seems like rokkit choppers need to attack the side or rear of armored targets to have worth. Is that by design?

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”