Tournament overtime rules

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
Fosil
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Tournament overtime rules

Post by Fosil »

I would prefer to have a draw after reaching the regular turn count with equal VP posession. especially because the current "sudden death rules" gives the player that has the first "overtime turn" a very big advantage by being able to win the game instantly, if he can take a VP in this extra turn.

if the current system would be changed to check for victory conditions only after both players had used their extra turn, there would be still the problem of a quasi-stalemates over several rounds, where players would race for VPs, denying an engagement. or it could encourage gamey tactics like going into overtime consciously by not taking a VP, to have more turns to kill units in a situation where one player has a clear advantage over the other player.

ending the game with a draw after the regular turn count would avoid all these problems.
pchittock
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Tournament overtime rules

Post by pchittock »

I agree - the overtime between us was completely unexpected and I was just lucky my unit reached the VP first and your unit was 1 tile away! A draw would have been better or to base the result on the game score at least.
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Tournament overtime rules

Post by Benedict151 »

There is food for thought here, thanks for the feedback

Draws in tournaments are a little problematical in that the system currently relies on someone winning, even if its only by 1 point so a true draw might be impossible, but something to think about

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”