Why No Straight Warhammer Simulations?

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
Cheimison
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Why No Straight Warhammer Simulations?

Post by Cheimison »

Warhammer has been RTS, Total War, shooters, RPGs, and MMOs. Why isn't there one damn game that's a direct implementation of the rules, complete with gearing armies and do forth? Warhammer rules are significantly simpler mathematically than real time battles or Crusader Kings or War in the Pacific, so why doesn't this exist? Is GW afraid that nobody will buy their toys if a vastly more convenient digital option existed?
I ask here because SR is the closest so far, yet inexplicably still not actually Warhammer rules.
Parallax
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017

Re: Why No Straight Warhammer Simulations?

Post by Parallax »

Cause Games Workshop don't want to lose their money they earn by selling models. That's why they forbid direct implementation of their rules
veeneman
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by veeneman »

It seems like it's just a matter of limited resources for the game developer. After a few days playing, I love Sanctus Reach but you can tell it was made on a tight budget... They aren't in the same league as say Fallout 4 for example.

Maybe if they did a Kickstarter...
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

If you really want to something like 40K TT in PC, you can try Vassal or Tabletop simulator. But the feelings of those games are different from real tabletop games, in my opinion.

I agree with kickstarter. This game deserve more investment and budget for better graphic and animations... But right now this game is under Slitherine, and I just wish the proper investment for this franchise.
Grimdarc
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Grimdarc »

Have to wait until GW's financial decline is complete and pray it folds rather than sells to something heinous like Hasbro. Unfortunately, the explosion of interest and indie creativity in direct implementation of the TT would incentivize Blizzard or something huge to pickup the IP monopoly.

In the end the reason there isn't TT direct implementation is that too many players want it giving it market value. The same creative indie people above could make their own world with its own cool lore, but if it's really worth playing then it might attract a following. Creative indie smarty types would sell their idea for a payday and pay-to-win would end the cycle.

If too many people want what you want the demand will change the thing into something no one wants eventually.
DocDesastro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DocDesastro »

Maybe they will recognize at some point, that by selling the idea makes more money than the miniatures. I see the future - if any - for GW as a software company dedicated to produce rules, models and background to sell and to have a computer version of their boardgame. Imagine buying the core game thus the game engine. DLCs can be factions or even part of the factions. Like 'Buy the Marines' and you get access to basic marine troops for playing like the tacticals, assault and devastators and Rhinos. Buy veteran DLC and you get access to venerable dreadnoughts, terminators, honor guard units etc. Same frag as today: just charge the customer with ridiculous fees.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

DocDesastro wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:29 am Maybe they will recognize at some point, that by selling the idea makes more money than the miniatures. I see the future - if any - for GW as a software company dedicated to produce rules, models and background to sell and to have a computer version of their boardgame. Imagine buying the core game thus the game engine. DLCs can be factions or even part of the factions. Like 'Buy the Marines' and you get access to basic marine troops for playing like the tacticals, assault and devastators and Rhinos. Buy veteran DLC and you get access to venerable dreadnoughts, terminators, honor guard units etc. Same frag as today: just charge the customer with ridiculous fees.
Don't put ideas into their heads - they're bad enough already! :roll:
Richard
DocDesastro
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DocDesastro »

Meh...I guess they have those ideas already. Currently, it is more profitable to produce a plastic kit for less than 10 cents apiece and sell for 30$ and more. But I think a bit into the future. 3D-printers might be available for private persons so printing your own miniatures under license might be something or they go full software version with customizable models and unlocking factions as DLCs. I mean...there ARE possibilities...but currently? License every 40k game no matter how good or bad and make a fortune worldwide with overpriced miniatures.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”