Couple of questions

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
fortydayweekend
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Couple of questions

Post by fortydayweekend »

First up the obligatory "love this game" - It's loads of fun. Especially love how overwatch is automatic (scratching a long held XCOM itch..)

2 quick questions for experienced players or devs tho:
1) what's the rationale behind move 20MP and shoot twice being Ok, but shoot twice and then move isn't? Wouldn't it make sense for shooting to cost the same MPs regardless of the timing?

2) the AI targets my melee units for melee attacks even when there's an equally-close bolted squad. Shouldn't they go for the weaker melee unit first?
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Couple of questions

Post by Benedict151 »

Thanks
Good questions
"1) what's the rationale behind move 20MP and shoot twice being Ok, but shoot twice and then move isn't? Wouldn't it make sense for shooting to cost the same MPs regardless of the timing?"

There were lots of discussions on that very point during development. In short doing it this way seemed to make more fun/better gameplay as it allows/encourages players to be more aggressive and basically prevents 'shoot and scoot' tactics. In early versions (pre beta) you could do this and a canny Space Wolf could really slaughter the Orks using that tactic

"2) the AI targets my melee units for melee attacks even when there's an equally-close bolted squad. Shouldn't they go for the weaker melee unit first?"

Fair point, one to discuss with the devs. However it could be argued that from a self preservation (rather than gameplay) point of view it makes sense for a unit in melee to concentrate on the unit most capable of hurting it?
Not that Orks or Space Wolves care too much about self preservation I guess!
fortydayweekend

Re: Couple of questions

Post by fortydayweekend »

Cheers
Good to hear that it's about fun gameplay - it definitely rewards manoeuvring in a way that most games don't, and lets you be a lot more aggressive in terms of advancing or just concentrating firepower in different places each turn. It does let you retreat while firing ( as long as you "scoot" first and don't lose LOS), but retreating is limited by the need to capture VPs on most maps.

Re melee targets.. I get that you'd want to attack the most dangerous unit (that you can do the most damage to)...Bolters do more damage than swords most of the time though and don't counterattack.. and friendly fire isn't much of an issue for SW.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”