Purge the Xeno! Or how I learned to love the God-Emperor

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Purge the Xeno! Or how I learned to love the God-Emperor

Post by AlbertoC »

Hi all!

Not too long ago we held a contest for Sanctus Reach to see who would be able to make the best scenario for the game. We had a lot of good submissions, and we're in the process of making them available to everyone.

Vince had won the contest, though. We had promised to him some really nice Games Workshop miniatures. He had to choose: either Orks or Space Wolves. He chose the Emperor's beloved Space Marines, and we gave the task of assembling and painting these miniatures to our friend Paolo Paglianti, who is, among other things, a really good painter and a big Warhammer 40,000 fan. Paolo sent us some pictures of his work so far, and a short text detailing his first steps. We're going to update this thread-blog when he sends us updates :)

So the word to him!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Purge the Xeno! Or how I learned to love the God-Emperor

Post by AlbertoC »

We have received from our Father the Emperor at Slitherine the honourable task to assemble and paint a small but fierce force of Space wolf as a prize for WH 40K Sanctus Reach contest. The grey-and-more-grey tireless defender of the Human Empire are among the best close fighters of the known universe, and can face with no fear shining Eldars or ungodly Orks with the same resolution.

The box is the "beginner" GW Space Wolfes, with 14 figures: 10 foot, 3 mounted on (very huge) wolfes, and a Captain with a fantastic red cape.

The good news is, with all the plastic bits you find in the box, you can have 14 almost totally different Marines. The not-so-fast-good news is that to assemble them you need a couple of hours. I began with the foot Space Marines, althought I kept some of the parts of the marines unglued, like the backpacks or the full upper body of the captain, to paint those parts more easily

When it comes to primer, the world is divided between Black and White. Yes, you can use the GW spray made for Space Wolves, but I prefer to paint even the base coat with my brush. So, I decided in true Solomonic way: I used the black primer, the one I prefer for dark warriors of XLI Century, but with a short burst of white from above. This will help to give a natural light tone on the armours.

So, this is the small army I'm going to paint in the next days. I will assemble and paint the three SW wolf mounted marines later; also, I'll paint the Space Marines in batches of 4 or 5. In the next session, I'll post some photos of the first "test" Space wolf!
FirecrackerJOE
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by FirecrackerJOE »

Very Interesting. I can't wait to see more!
kodan

Post by kodan »

I am like @FirecrackerJOE I can not wait to see more of this process. I would absolutely LOVE it though if we could get some video even. I am not very good at this kind of thing but I am fascinated with watching the process others use to make their art.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

993.M41

Beloved xeno killer, here is the first Space Wolf: I fully painted a single Space Marine to understand if the final result was satisfying.
It misses the shoulder designs (still lingering if to strictly adhere to the Codex or invent some small invention of my own), and the base.
Speaking of bases, the truly lore for SW is to fight on snow planets, but I normally don't like snowy things for my miniatures. Next step is to paint the rest of the foot SM from this lot, and while I'll wait for the inks to dry I'll experiment some kind of bases.

what do you think, dear Emperor's child? Snow base or metal, plasma bent base?

Dizzy_slith
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Dizzy_slith »

Fantastic! Did he magnetize the arms so he has weapon customization options? The modeling paint is phenomenal! What a nice gift.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Some time ago we ran a contest to see who would make the best custom map for Sanctus Reach. We received many great submissions but the winner was Vince. The prize? A pack of amazing Space Wolves miniatures, hand painted by a great artist, Paolo Paglianti! He sent us updates on how the painting was going, and we posted them periodically on the forum. Now the Wolves are ready to be sent to the winner. Let us know what you think of them :)

997.M41

Brothers,
the task is completed! Here you can see the Space Wolf Detachment ready to be sent by drop-pod to the Slitherine's WH Contest Winner. They are looking forward to purging some xenos in proper hand to hand combat!

I like the final look of the bases: they give a sense of unity between the different warriors: the bigger base for the Captain elevates him on the battlefield, and togheter with the red cape clearly identifies him as the head of the force.

GW did a magnificent work with the wolfes: they are full of small details, like some metal plaque or mechanism hidden under the fur: a testimony of past fights, patches of the wounded.

let me know what you think of this chapter :)

(Paglianti@gmail.com)

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”