Skirmish without super heavies

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Skirmish without super heavies

Post by bodkin »

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a skirmish game without the Gorkanaut and Imperial Knight? I want to play large battles with high ratio of infantry without the Gork and the Knight dominating the battlefield but they seem to be in every army list. It would be nice if there was a list without these elite units.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Skirmish without super heavies

Post by HolyTerra »

Try the Lost Hills scenario. Lots of soldiers and elites with some transports but no super heavy walkers
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bodkin »

Thanks HolyTera but I think you're talking about one of the campaign missions, I'm wanting to create something like you describe in offline skirmish mode.

The thing I don't like is when playing as the Orks the Knight becomes the focus of the battles limiting any real use of tactics as it steamrolls your army. I'm looking for a more fluid tactical manoeuvre type battle.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

bodkin wrote:Thanks HolyTera but I think you're talking about one of the campaign missions, I'm wanting to create something like you describe in offline skirmish mode.
I am thinking about the multi player scenario called 'Lost Hills'.
demonwarcat
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by demonwarcat »

You don't have to take the Knight when it is offered. Yes the AI will take Gorkanaut but there are plenty of ways to defeat Gorkanaut without using the Knight including purely with infantry though that is difficult on a map with open sight lines. Also in skirmish the victory conditions are about taking and holding victory points so you can often win without engaging Gorkanaut. A lot depends on how the forces have been deployed.

I normally play skirmish maps within the context of a campaign so there is little point taking a Knight as while it is possible to level up the Scorched Knight you have almost no opportunity to use it once leveled up. I also don't use level 4 units in these skirmishes as I want to level up as many units as possible for later use.
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bodkin »

Yeah the Gorkanaut is pretty easy to kill, it's more when I'm playing the Orks in offline skirmish, the cpu always picks the Knight and it really changes the way the game plays.
Mophead
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Mophead »

Pip posted a custom skirmish setup.
pipfromslitherine wrote:OK - this version might be better

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ccfrj3zgzia4 ... H.rar?dl=0

Cheers

Pip
You could adjust that to have no super heavies.
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bodkin »

Mophead wrote:Pip posted a custom skirmish setup.
pipfromslitherine wrote:OK - this version might be better

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ccfrj3zgzia4 ... H.rar?dl=0

Cheers

Pip
You could adjust that to have no super heavies.
Thanks heaps I'll check it out
elementallyc

Post by elementallyc »

Yeah, sometimes these elite units get bored.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”