Ragnar's Folly help

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Ragnar's Folly help

Post by bodkin »

Any tips on beating this one in the Hour of the Wolf Campaign? This is the one where Ragnar is avenging the fallen knight. You don't get a lot of good units. I tried to camp and defend against the Ork horde but just when I thought I had broken their main force another army just as large showed up and wiped out my survivors. I can't hang on to even three objectives let alone all eight for the victory.
Last edited by bodkin on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteTigerK17
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Ranar's Folly help

Post by WhiteTigerK17 »

A good tactic is to advance your units into maximum distance from the enemy whilst still being in firing range. Target specific units depending on how close they are getting, and each turn fire once, retreat your units with the remaining movement, and fire again as you should be at max firing range.

Avoid the orks in close combat at all costs.

Form firing lines.

Use rockets, laze canons and dreadnouts on Heavy unit groups such as the larger packs of 3 or 4 orks.

With this play style I succede 95% of the missions without using a single unit.

Use your close combat troops not in attack, but as a buffer infront of your firing lines in case the enemy gets too close, even with them avoid contact at all cost.

Prioritize Ork flamers if they get too close, they are deadly.

Good luck!
GordonStraylight
Straylight
Straylight

Post by GordonStraylight »

Hi bodkin,

We have identified this mission as the hardest after the AI and other balance changes. We will be looking at modifying the difficulty shortly, the missions can be won but is very tough.

Cheers,

Gordon.
MaximusDecimusMeridius
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by MaximusDecimusMeridius »

Did this on the first and second try, took casualties but no veterans.

1: Use the increased movement range of units near Ragnar to get Blood Claws to where they can stop enemy units like Nobz and Gitz. Use it to fire, pull back and fire again with your ranged units.
2: Sacrifice Blood Claws to keep bikes, speeders and marines alive to deal the damage.
3: Target Ork morale. Frag missiles are unrelaible damage dealers, but when you couple their shock with the penalty the enemy units get when units are destroyed around them you can hold off powerful units by killing the weaker units around them. When their reaction fire/zone of control is gone, you pour in the Blood Claws to make sure they stay occupied and broken.
4: Luck. Due to the random nature of the game, all it takes is a few lucky shots from a Battlewagon and a few unlucky shots from you to make things hard.
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Ragnar's Folly help

Post by bodkin »

Thanks for the advice, won this on third try by keeping all my forces together around the barricades with Blood Claws using the fallen knight for cover to run out and pin/distract anything that got too close. The Long Fangs were effective at slowing down any massed infantry with frags but also precision hits on the Battle Wagons, Kans etc. All other units just concentrated firepower where needed. It's certainly winable with the right tactics, don't wont the game to be too easy.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

bodkin wrote:Thanks for the advice, won this on third try by keeping all my forces together around the barricades with Blood Claws using the fallen knight for cover to run out and pin/distract anything that got too close. The Long Fangs were effective at slowing down any massed infantry with frags but also precision hits on the Battle Wagons, Kans etc. All other units just concentrated firepower where needed. It's certainly winable with the right tactics, don't wont the game to be too easy.
Agreed. I am on my third attempt now, and it is a really fun part of the single player game. Nice to have such a challenging game that makes you go slow and conserve your troops.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

EDIT: Woops sorry for my post here, I was talking about Armageddon !!!! :?
GordonStraylight wrote:Hi bodkin,
We have identified this mission as the hardest after the AI and other balance changes. We will be looking at modifying the difficulty shortly, the missions can be won but is very tough.
Cheers,
Gordon.
Oh the missions are still patched!? I think maybe all are to be so (the game engine is not good for surprise and Warhammer epicness),

but I remember specifically one really badly done.
I don't remember the name, it is one were suddenly we have to retreat back with 5 units. I was disgusted: I was winning, killing the very though western orc units, then suddenly in only 2 turns I must go to the very other side of the map!
I understood thereafter that I was playing unknowingly 'meta', like if I already knew the scenario, in fact I had almost all kill all those units which we were supposed to flee! (I had decided, just roleplaying, to help the western allies).. save that I didn't see that last victory point, that I took only in the end, too late as it launched the now useless fleeing.

So, for me, just because the scenarios, this game is bad, but the engine and scenarios are excellent in the WWII PanzerCorps game.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

That does not sound like Ragnars Folly. This mission is to get all of the objective markers, pretty standard like that but the army you face is nearly overwhelming and the loose blitz style of play that you win easily with through most of the game dosnt work here. Seems most people lose it once or twice then play it slow and win. I hope they dont change it.
MaximusDecimusMeridius

Post by MaximusDecimusMeridius »

I certainly don't think it's too hard. I've beaten it three times now with different tactics - all out assault, kiting back and melee rush plus sniping high priority targets.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”