Some gender balance in the future would be nice!

There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system...
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Some gender balance in the future would be nice!

Post by HolyTerra »

Having lots of fun with SR, and even invited friends to come play. Both of the girls I linked to the game are 40K fans and both noted that the armies are sort of brutish and manly. I know according to lore Space Marines are men, and Orcs dont really have genders, but theres other 40K lore appropriate armies that could added to the game that include ladies.

Both the Eldar and Dark Eldar have a nice mix of male and female units and characters, with squads like Wyches and Howling Banshees. Also theres the Sisters of Battle, humanities war nuns with flamers and meltas and all that. I am going to play the game anyway, and they probably will too but I bet the game could pull more fans of 40K by offering an army or two that has some female units.
ImperialGrunt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Some gender balance in the future would be nice!

Post by ImperialGrunt »

Technically speaking, women serve in the Imperial Guard and probably in the Tempestus Scions, not to mention the female Inquistors. They would just have to be included.

And females Tau are also throughout their ranks. One of their best generals is a female, Commander Shadowsun.

Dizzy_slith
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Dizzy_slith »

However, I'm certain that despite the fact that Progenoid Glands do not work in female space marines, which is why there are virtually no female space marines, (Sisters of Battle are NOT Space Marines, they just wear the armor), Space Wolves incorporate Space Marine females into their ranks and keep them hidden from the Inquisition. They are not viable to make more Space Marines because they lack gene seed. But despite this fact, I see Space Wolves realizing some females are worthy and deserving of the trials. It is part of their Fenrisian warrior culture after all.

HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

I would like to see where it says that in lore? Just seems sort of goofy to me, I am not asking for anything that isnt part of the 40K game we all know and love... I just want those that are a regular part of the warhammer universe that have some gender balance to be included. Never seen a female space marine mini and hope I dont ever, but I would like some Howling Banshees and Sisters of Battle in Sanctus Reach
ImperialGrunt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ImperialGrunt »

HolyTerra wrote:I would like to see where it says that in lore? Just seems sort of goofy to me, I am not asking for anything that isnt part of the 40K game we all know and love... I just want those that are a regular part of the warhammer universe that have some gender balance to be included. Never seen a female space marine mini and hope I dont ever, but I would like some Howling Banshees and Sisters of Battle in Sanctus Reach
In the Sanctus Reach campaign, Eldar and Sisters of Battle were not present. So until the game goes to another sector, there should not be any of these units.

In the Sanctus Reach sector there were three Imperial Guard regiments, the 50th Kappic Eagles of theTempestus Scions and possibly even some Skitari I believe, all of which have female troopers in the lore.
Dizzy_slith
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Dizzy_slith »

HolyTerra wrote:I would like to see where it says that in lore? Just seems sort of goofy to me, I am not asking for anything that isnt part of the 40K game we all know and love... I just want those that are a regular part of the warhammer universe that have some gender balance to be included. Never seen a female space marine mini and hope I dont ever, but I would like some Howling Banshees and Sisters of Battle in Sanctus Reach
I'd rather not get into it, I dont know you. "Space Marine implants require the presence of a Y-chromosome to function." That's in Rogue Trader. Notice the exclusion of the word 'all'. I'm not talking about female space marines that would add to the stat line of a Space Wolf. Just because most of the implants dont work on females doesnt mean the Space Wolves would care much about it. They do what they want and therein lies the rub with everyone concerning the Space Wolves. It's part of their Fenrisian culture with warrior women. There have been a couple Space Wolf novels that blur the line in this regard as to how Space Wolves approach augmentation.

I'll accede to your wishes and not post a link to the female space marine GW mini. So think what you want, I'm not commenting again on this subject.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

ImperialGrunt wrote:
In the Sanctus Reach campaign, Eldar and Sisters of Battle were not present. So until the game goes to another sector, there should not be any of these units.
Developers on Steam posted that Chaos and the Imperial Guard are being made now, so SR is clearly going to get bigger than just the campaign the game is named for.
WhiteTigerK17
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by WhiteTigerK17 »

HolyTerra wrote:I bet the game could pull more fans of 40K by offering an army or two that has some female units.

If people are buying this game purely based on the gender of the characters in it then we have really hit a milestone.

And anyway, how are you going to distinguish? Space Marines all wear full body armour so you couldn't tell if it was a woman in there or not, albeit a few that are helmet-less with odd hairstyles, who could actually be women because I have met women with Mohawks.

Orks are indistinguishable, so for all any of us know they could be women amongst them.

The only thing that could work would be female sound effects and voices, so that when space marines die or attack, some of them sound like rusty women instead of rusty men. Again orcs would not sound any different.

So unless you are asking for more feminine armour on the space marines to show of their bust, which would be sexist in itself, how are we ever going to recognise the difference, and if we cant, then what really matters?
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

Maybe you did not read what I wrote. I am not asking for female space marines, someone derailed the topic with talk of female space marines. That wasnt me.

The thing I am asking for is future army choices to include some of the armies from 40K that have female characters and soliders already as part of the lore of the game, again not asking for something that dosnt belong in 40K -already-. Eldar of both the craftworld and dark varieties, and or the sister of battle as well as the examples made by others pointing out female inquisitors as well as women in the IG. Again, those things already exist in the 40K universe.

As for hitting a milestone, there are players right now that chose games based on what they can play or not.
GCCRacer
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by GCCRacer »

HolyTerra wrote:Developers on Steam posted that Chaos and the Imperial Guard are being made now, so SR is clearly going to get bigger than just the campaign the game is named for.
As someone here posted recently, Chaos and IG were important parts of the final battle in "Hour of the Wolf". So no, we haven't yet left the campaign scenario with those planned additions.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

I noticed this recently too. I think it would be a big mistake to stick with just the SR campaigns armies. In fact I notice the name is 'Warhammer 40,00 Sanctus Reach', hopefully leaving room for expansions to be named 'Warhammer 40,000 Whatever-campaign-includes-interesting-armies'. Not like people in the forums arent asking for Eldar and Tyranids in other threads too. Would be a big shame to never see Eldar and Grey Knights and Tyranids in the game, even other orc tribes and chapters of marines not confined to the battle over Sanctus Reach.
WhiteTigerK17

Post by WhiteTigerK17 »

Sisters of Battle were some of my favourite units in Dawn of War, with the Soulstorm expansion.

A Warhammer game series based around this game model & mechanics, which were built from tabletop to Final Liberation to where we are now, could go very far.

I would hope to see all units introduced and playable. The current game is based around the Sanctus Reach Campaign, it does not mean other factions would not be available.

If this one goes well I assume they may consider releasing DLC or future additions with other factions each with their own campaigns. Creating factions and campaigns is a lot of content work. I still hope to see it as this game type could go very far.

A strong modding community will push factions and units into the game quite fast, hopefully well balanced. All of this would take work but hopefully it will happen as there is much potential and a big fan base for 40K games.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

HolyTerra wrote:Having lots of fun with SR, and even invited friends to come play. Both of the girls I linked to the game are 40K fans and both noted that the armies are sort of brutish and manly. I know according to lore Space Marines are men, and Orcs dont really have genders, but theres other 40K lore appropriate armies that could added to the game that include ladies.

Both the Eldar and Dark Eldar have a nice mix of male and female units and characters, with squads like Wyches and Howling Banshees. Also theres the Sisters of Battle, humanities war nuns with flamers and meltas and all that. I am going to play the game anyway, and they probably will too but I bet the game could pull more fans of 40K by offering an army or two that has some female units.
Warhammer 40K is a heavily satirical dystopia where the Imperium of Man is an intentionally over-the-top combination of the worst of Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, The Spanish Inquisition, and WWI human meatgrinder incompetence.

And you're complaining that they aren't represented as a beautiful rainbow of gender diversity? "Why can't we see Commissars shooting female soldiers in the face for questioning orders?"
WhiteTigerK17

Post by WhiteTigerK17 »

Mischief Maker wrote:Warhammer 40K is a heavily satirical dystopia where the Imperium of Man is an intentionally over-the-top combination of the worst of Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, The Spanish Inquisition, and WWI human meatgrinder incompetence.

THE most poetic description of 40K I have ever read. Bravo, bravo I say, bravo.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

Mischief Maker wrote:
And you're complaining that they aren't represented as a beautiful rainbow of gender diversity? "Why can't we see Commissars shooting female soldiers in the face for questioning orders?"
Seems you came here to make that point without having read what was actually written. No one asked for rainbows, what was asked for are -all- things that are already present in the grim dystopian future you were so eagerly pointing out is the setting for the game. The presence of females did not make 40K any less grim or dark in the tabletop version.

Thanks for letting all us 40K fans know the game is supposed to be dark though.
WhiteTigerK17

Post by WhiteTigerK17 »

If you want Sisters of Battle, you probably should have started by saying it, rather than calling out a Gender Balance issue which is ridiculous to anyone that understands the concept of 40K.

Like you and others have said its Dark.

You used the Gender War topic believing it would increase your chances of having what you want done before what others want done.

It has had the complete opposite effect and has gained you nothing but negative attention, which I am sure you can see and understand.

So lets all put the gender issue behind us, close this thread and head to the thread where people are voting for the next army they want to see in the game, as democracy is the only way forwards, ever.
HolyTerra
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HolyTerra »

Need to point out here that my first post -does- ask for sisters of battle as well as a few other examples of armies that offer females roles in the game. Getting negative attention from people over reacting on the internet to something they did not really read isnt anything new and the only part of this post I regret is that it was almost derailed with talk of female space marines.

You head where ever you want and can treat any topic you like as behind you, like you could have before you posted asking me to do the same.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

everyone is entitled to there own opinions, but we can't tell others what to do or say or not say, it's a free world, as long as we all follow the rules we can all debate whatever we like, if we don't, the thread will be closed
MaximusDecimusMeridius
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by MaximusDecimusMeridius »

Taking a wild guess, Warhammer 40k is created predominantly by and for men. Space Marines rank at the top of most polls in terms of popularity, not surprising considering they are the cornerstone of the fluff of the franchise.

They have massive appeal to both pre- and postpubescent boys, being avatars of raw, absurd masculinity even though they probably are a bit lacking in the groin-area compared to their Imperial Guard counterparts. The Warhammer 40k universe isn't remotely gender balanced, although there are numerous fighting females amongst the Sisters of Battle, Imperial Guard, Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar and even daemons with female form. Tyranids and Necrons are a bit of an oddity, but quite telling in that the matter of reproduction and sexuality is decidedly asexual in the Warhammer universe. The amount of bolter and chainsword to the face in the fiction is astounding compared to more erotic scenes, and in the few descriptions there are they always end up with something else than the intended area being impaled by something that has to do with Slaanesh.

Personally I don't understand how the gender of the pixel-legions on the screen makes the game more or less enjoyable other than the obvious, but female aesthetics get more people into the game then that is a smart choice by the developers.. I think they are better served by going for the more popular factions though, and if they do that we might see some fighting females but the Sisters are far, far down on that list. Since we're dealing with fantasy, you could imagine the Space Marines and Orks in Sanctus Reach are big, muscular bearded women since Gork and Mork and The Emperor in the infinite wisdom has decided to bolster their forces by drafting from both sexes, and that in the case of Orks they have evolved beyond gender altogether into a state of utter bliss and sporedom.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”