A new story begins... Panzer Corps 2 has been announced!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: A new story begins... Panzer Corps 2 has been announced!

Post by hugh2711 »

I agree with you guille 1434; Every good turn based game that was good ,that I have seen, that turned to 3d graphics for its sequel ended up being rubbish and with worse gameplay. E.G. M.A.X. 1 (awesome) v M.A.X. 2 (3d and rubbish). panzer general v panzer general 3d. Companies that usually go for the eye candy route means they are going for a quick buck as all the people who bought the first one because it was so good buy the second thinking it will be as well but the problem is the first one dies as well as you get an initial milking of profits then it quietly dies a death as people realise the eye candy fix is not as good and people move on. Eye candy does not actually make for a better game it just distracts you for a while. I hope there is an option to turn it off and concentrate on the actual game.
We will see if they actually up the number of zones in it (the limiting factor for the really good big user made scenarios) or if they fix the number of 'suggestions' in the threads (plural) asking for things improved or fixed.

Yes i am a glass half empty person :-)
asuser

Post by asuser »

Exciting News!

Agree with the forerunning statements... and a big hope, that published wishes for patch 1.30 and the new game after PC comes (nearly) true.
BlackeyeVuk
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by BlackeyeVuk »

I just hope Pnz Corp2 will have similar if not identical artistic side. Despite the lack of animations and fairly basic coding with slapped .gifs on 2D drawn map. Its still appealing.

Unless you don't want to fail miserably , make ton of landscape doods , stuff and extras . OOB have that distinctive boring landscape textures, whilst not bad, just too much of the same. Going 3D means higher expectations of setting right atmosphere and scenery.
Or I could be wrong, maybe PzC2 will just still be overall the same, just on better engine with more stuff to tinker about.
Gonna wait for proper ingame video.
StefanDK
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by StefanDK »

I think it's amazing news! A friend and I have played Panzer Corps multiplayer scenarios for five years and we have not yet grown tired of it, so PLEASE be true to the first version (I have more than 450 hours of mostly mp play on Steam for the last two years - before that I used the "oldfashioned" way of playing).

I never considered Order of Battle a sequel since it has too large graphics requirement. If at all possible, try to keep a 2D version of the game!!! Or do something like Civilization 5 and 6 (mostly 6...) where they have a strategic map (this version uses approx. 20 watts while the 3d civ map are more close to 120 watts - a huge difference for laptops and ultrabooks - the latter is what I use most of the time to play Panzer).

However there is a lot of ideas I would like to contribute with - here is the shortlist (I might post it different places in the forum...).

I apologize if this is not the right place to post these, but I HAVE to get them out of my system now this great news has been published:

- Multiplayer campaigns (number ONE priority!!!): To play a campaign against an intelligent human being is the most valuable thing ever. It is fun to play scenarios, but if the outcome of every scenario has an impact on the course of the campaign, it would be absolutely stunning!
- Grand scale scenarios - like the whole world or whole of Europe - much like Battlefield Europe Mod and the like. This should also work for multiplayer.
- Another great scenario modding tool - it seems like the current one is adequate, although not polished. A polished and more user friendly version would go a long way.
- Random events during turns - like extra troops arriving, incoming or outgoing prestige, sudden bombardment of troops to diminish strength etc.
- More specialized abilities that can be gained through experience and/or random events.
- Some of the Order of Battle supply mechanisms (although Panzer Corps is actually quite good).

I could probably go on with suggestions ...

I'd be MOST happy if I can contribute with ideas in the first development phases - just say the word!
Ruggs225
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Ruggs225 »

caca wrote:
Ruggs225 wrote:Will this game eventually be ported to iPad? I loved panzer corp for the ipad and find it more enjoyable to play on an ipad than pc. I was really dissapointdd when OOB did not get released on ipad when originally they said were going to.
Unreal Engine 4 is Cross-platform. :D
I hope they are using that platform just so it is easy to port to ipad. That would make me one happy panda.
Parallax
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017
Twitch Fidelity Award 2017

Post by Parallax »

i hope to see good replay manager. With switching fog of war and option to stop replaying after every unit move. It could be very potent turn-based cybersport
StefanDK
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by StefanDK »

Oh yeah - replay and TURN replay manager. It is almost unbearable to watch the enemy's turn without being able to dive into the statistics!
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

hugh2711:
I completely agree, I give you all my applause! I think the public that buy this kind of games are not convinced to pay for a game because of its elaborate graphics and "superficial" things like that, but because of good strategic elements, like a strong AI, interesting modding options, etc... after all, I think we are more chess players than Counter-Strike players... Tell me now that PzCorps 2 will be in "Real Time" and I tell you that this will not be a game that I would buy... I think the way to go is a new Panzer Corps incorporating the best of the Original Panzer Corps, some of the good aspects of Order of Battle, Pacific General and Star General... And more modding options!! :-)

Aaaand Yesss! I would instead pay a good amount of my hard earned money for a good remake of M.A.X. (Mechanized Assault and Exploration) game! Think about a moddable, big map version of that game! I think this would be glorious... Game developers, take note!! We don't ask for flashy graphics!!
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I have never bought a game because of flashy graphics, I buy it for the game play
Easy to learn
Hard to Master

Panzer Corps has that in spades
please keep that for PC2
I am optimistic :)
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
WhiteRook
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by WhiteRook »

Man - cant wait for this one, I love eye candy and turn based.
Now if we could just get an updated Steel Panthers, someone needs to bring that back to life. :)
VampiRos
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by VampiRos »

It has to be filled with "good stuff", then instant buy. :P
caca
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by caca »

goose_2 wrote:I have never bought a game because of flashy graphics, I buy it for the game play
Easy to learn
Hard to Master

Panzer Corps has that in spades
please keep that for PC2
I am optimistic :)
I'm also an optimist. :D
I think many of the fears of the players are not grounded.
Read at least this ..
http://flashback.games/devblog/panzer-c ... ry-begins/
parmenio
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by parmenio »

caca wrote:Unreal Engine 4 is Cross-platform. :D
So's Unity (which OOB runs on). Sadly it runs like a dog on my laptop, so I expect that an OOB iOS version would be even worse.

I'm with some of the other posters here - I'm not jumping up and down with excitement over a fully-3D version of this game. Although I was a late purchaser of Panzer Corps, I love the fact it will run on my 2Gb Windows tablet without problems.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

This is wonderful!

For some aspects, I truly mean that. For others, I don't.

I got the original when GC39 came out in late 2011, and although it took me 4 years I eventually finished the GC. Also played the vanilla campaign a few times over and loved that one. AK was also great until I got to the difficult bits (Gazala, Basra, I'm looking at you two!). However I wasn't impressed with AC and especially SC, as both seemed to be "we'll force you to pile enormous quantities of rubbish on the enemy tigers until eventually you bash your way through", and the maps were missing a lot of villages (I've learned a lot of geography from playing these games, so I was disgusted when I couldn't learn stuff from the SC Bagration map. There are more than 5 towns in the Minsk-Bialystok area!). so if we go back to the old campaigns with lots of tactics and stuff, plus a great AI and various improvements, I will be pleased. If SC's 'you can only use tanks becuse everything else will die' attribute comes back I will be thoroughly annoyed.

Also, I am quite well known as a modder for this, and I expect people will want me to port at least one of my projects to PzC2 (with improvements). How can I do that with 3d? I struggle to mod graphics for 2d, so you'll be missing out on a lot of stuff with that move. :cry: . I've had around 2000 downloads between my three main projects (in my sig), so I think modding is quite a significant part of this game and it will suck if you miss out on that aspect.

More on 3d, I don't hate 3d by itself. OOB has been my favourite game ever since it came out (toppling PzC, largely because I enjoy bombing Pearl Harbour and Melbourne with torpedo bombers and stuff like that), and 3d works well for it. So I won't judge based on that alone... except for the modding above. However both it and GTA4 use 3d, and those are the two games I have the biggest performance issues with. Granted, I haven't upgraded my PC since 2011 and probably never will (I still use a CRT screen for the record), but from what I gather you are moving to a resource hogging engine. I'm sure everyone else on this forum has newer stuff than I do, but I would hate to see even middle-range PCs miss out on your latest version because it uses so much power. If you make it run for my machine, that's great and I'll be a day one purchase, but if not then I will probably just lurk through that forum until I get a new PC. Probably in 2025 or something.

So why do I say all this stuff? No-one cares about by "when I was a kid" level PC, or at least I assume no-one does. Its simple: PzC shone because it was simple and easy to access, while there was a lot of depth that interested players would get to experience after a very short while. From what I read, at least some of this seems to be getting taken away. On my ($300 piece of junk) laptop, OOB runs about as well as a monkey with its legs stuck into a block of concrete, while PzC can run at max performance. If you pull up the requirements, a lot of people will miss out accordingly. Same if it is hard to mod. Sounds like you are keeping the gameplay, which is good, and I hope it turns out successful.

I'll keep my eye on this. Obviously, I'm not going to be able to change the opinions of enough important people to make a lot of a difference, but I hope you are acknowledging what made the first game great, so the second can be greater. Either way, it isn't likely to run on my rig, and I'm not bothered by that, but I hope my experience in recent years helps you realise some issues that should be taken into account for development!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Blitz1945
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Blitz1945 »

I am ready to start beta testing, please let me know where I go to get the beta install.... :)
Panzermeyer62

Post by Panzermeyer62 »

Great News! Will buy it!
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

This sounded really promising to me ... until that bit about 3D. So far, when I have been enjoying to play 3D games, it was playing LEGO with the kids. On the upper side, I guess PC2 will not hurt that much if you step on it barefooted. I guess I am going to give Slitherine the benefit of doubt.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

rubyjuno wrote:No offence, but I can't believe anyone would consider OOB a sequel to Panzer Corps, with its annoying red supply lines and silly animations it's horrible. Yes, I did buy it and play it based on my trust of Slitherine... each to his own I suppose :-)
I will stick up for OOB here. Those annoying red supply lines (actually, territory ownership markings) are key to a fascinating aspect of OOB; the need to ensure that your units are always in full supply and not cut off by enemy incursions or foolish forays. This adds a great deal of depth to the game.

As far as animations go, I looked at Panzer Corps after having played OOB. It was a waste of time and money. I'm not one for eye-candy usually, but the OOB animations lend a great deal of immersion for me. When I played PC and saw units being moved like wooden chess pieces and when I saw combat being waged between units facing away from each other, I could not abide.

So, you may argue perhaps about PC being the superior game for gameplay, variability, modability, and the like, but the two aspects that you chose to denigrate OOB upon are erroneous in my opinion.
- Bru
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

A bit disappointed that they didn't move to Unity. Unity is a lot more modding friendly these days than Unreal Engine but we'll see. NOT a fan of going 3D though. But oh well. We'll have to wait and see. Until I see some actual gameplay footage I'll reserve judgement.

Also please pay more attention to detail in the scenarios next time. The more I do research on PzC scenarios the more mistakes I find, from missing rivers to totally screwed up geography or units that shouldn't be there.

I'm much more interested in historical detail than in 3D explosions. But that's just me.
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

KeldorKatarn wrote:I'm much more interested in historical detail than in 3D explosions. But that's just me.
Well, not just you. :wink:
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969

Return to “News & Announcements”