Battle of Nagakute

fitzpatv
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Battle of Nagakute

Post by fitzpatv »

A fairly small battle on mountainous terrain that can be played as either the Tokugawa or Toyotomi faction.

As Ieyasu Tokugawa, you have a slightly smaller force (unless you're the AI !) but better defensive terrain on a couple of rugged hills with a valley between them. The Toyotomi force is advancing across a broader valley with more hills beyond. It's essentially a matter of deciding where to distribute your forces. I opted to emphasise the left flank and, predictably, won there while losing on the right. I was then able to get enough men back to the right to protect the command tent and blunt the enemy left, which the AI had, in any case, depleted to create a centre. Won 63-29.

Playing as the Toyotomi side, I tried to defend the hills on my side of the broad valley, but the AI insisted on hanging back. To make a game of it, I moved most of my forces ahead left towards Mount Mae, leaving one division to screen my right. Got into some trouble on Mount Mae against sword ashigaru, who were at home in the rough terrain. However, my cavalry helped me hold on in the middle, one ashigaru unit on the left managed to stand its ground in good terrain and my right easily defeated a token force sent against it before reinforcing the centre and sealing a 56-30 win.

This scenario is more about intricate tactics than strategy in the difficult terrain.

Return to “After Action Reports”