Assault on Nagashino Castle

fitzpatv
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Assault on Nagashino Castle

Post by fitzpatv »

You command the garrison of Nagashino Castle, which consists of 8+ small units of matchlock skirmishers, plus a few bowmen and a core of samurai. You are outnumbered 6:1 by a Takeda army which attacks from two directions. The briefing says that the objective is to prevent the enemy getting into the castle keep for 42 turns or to rout the usual percentage of the attacking army.

As usual, missile troops do relatively little damage and winning a melee can be fatal, as your unit then charges uncontrollably into the heart of the enemy army (which is even less affordable than usual here).

There are two possible strategies. I first tried delaying the Takeda force in the outer wards of the castle with skirmishers to buy time. The result was that I went 40-13 down and lost the game before the attackers even reached the main walls (the stated victory conditions do not make it clear that this applies). Once engaged, it was virtually impossible for a skirmisher to escape.

The alternative is to pull back into the inner defences right away. This requires care, due to water obstacles which hinder retreat and congestion in the keep, which necessitates much fiddling-about. You can't retreat everyone and I had to leave three units to fight to the death in the Danjo Guruwa outwork and one skirmish squad facing the other prong of the attack. However, given enough troops to man the keep's walls (which give you massive combat advantages), it proved relatively easy to hold-off the Takeda horde until Turn 42 and win.

A different scenario, perhaps, but not especially interesting once the strategy has been worked-out.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Assault on Nagashino Castle

Post by zakblood »

it was my favourite one while testing it, and has changed a lot since it was first done, it's fun to work out which way works and what doesn't, that's part of the game and fun, and it's still the one i re play the most, as there are others ways of doing it as well, you can win it by staying in the middle parts or inner circle, but as yet i've never managed to do it and keep the outer walls, as there's just too many to defend against, so better to get a smaller defense to even up the sides.

Return to “After Action Reports”