Routing through friends

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

TERRYFROMSPOKANE
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Routing through friends

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE »

I have a 4 base LH BG in a two by two formation. They are making their initial rout back toward three Friendly Battle Groups A, B and C in three lines one behind the other. There is a gap between BG A and B where the LH would fit but not enough room for them to fit between BG B and C. Their full route move takes them through BG A and part way into BG B. Since there is no room between BG B and BG C and they can not interpenetrate a BG they can not reach with their full route move, I think they would stop in the space between BG A and BG B. BG A would count as burst through but BG B would not.

If this were a route move in the JAP, the LH would be destroyed because they could not complete their full route move.

Have I got that right?

Thanks, Terry G.
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Re: Routing through friends

Post by terrys »

Terry - You have got that right.

However, since the routing BG is LF there are no negative affects for being 'burst through'.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

terrys wrote:Terry - You have got that right.

However, since the routing BG is LF there are no negative affects for being 'burst through'.
It isn't LF it's LH
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Mad I tell you mad
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

No - still poorly worded. :)
Pete
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Right Terry - let's try and give you a sensible answer. Page 99 covers initial rout moves.

So the LH will burst through BG A. It's move takes it into BG B but it has insufficient move to reach C and there is no gap between B & C. So BGs A & B will count as burst through and drop a level. The LH will be removed at the end of the phase.

If this were the JAP phase the outcome would be the same. The only difference is that the LH could slide up to 2 base widths in an attempt to avoid the burst through. And if either BG A or B is a drilled BG they would not count as burst through since it is a legal interpenetration. P45. The LH would still be removed at the end of the JAP - in practice you take them off there and then.

Hope that helps.
Pete
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

It isn't LF it's LH
Sorry - misread this ..... I didn't expect anyone would put their LH in this position !!!
TERRYFROMSPOKANE

Post by TERRYFROMSPOKANE »

I have read through the rules on page 46 again and must respectfully disagree with Pete's explanation. The rule says the unit is destroyed/removed if it can not complete its rout move "during the Joint Action Phase." I take this (and the rest of the text in this section) to mean that during an initial rout taking place in another phase, since the LH can not find room between BG B and BG C it would halt in the space between BG A and BG B. Since it halts in front of BG B I wonder if BG B should drop a cohesion level.

My take on the rule is the LH would make another rout move during the JAP and if it could then clear both BG B and BG C to find a clear space to land behind them, it would not be destroyed.

Thanks for the help.

Terry G
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

Terry,

Interesting one this. I know the evading / routing rules have changed, but still need to really examine them to understand what the subtle nuances are.

Page 46 does indeed state that "a battle group which cannot complete its route move during the Joint Action Phase is destroyed and removed from table." For a start, there is a typo in there and it should state rout move...

However, page 99 which deals with the initial rout states (right hand column, last white bullet point) "Battle groups that cannot complete a rout move by any of the above means are destroyed at the end of the phase."

There are instances when a shock unit will burst through units not in the JAP and does not move (covered by the point if this is impossible then the shock troops don't move and drop a cohesion level), so I guess the statement on page 46 is largely irrelevant as it is trumped by the statement on page 99 that deals with ALL initial routs.
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

I have read through the rules on page 46 again and must respectfully disagree with Pete's explanation.
Not a problem Terry. But P46 does not relate to your original post. P99 does.
Pete

Return to “Rules Questions”