Can you count a general who is not with the unit when testin

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

paullongmore
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Can you count a general who is not with the unit when testin

Post by paullongmore »

I had always considered that when a units opponents broke and it kept up in pursuit the combat continued so a general with the unit who had fought was still fighting and could not leave and as the unit was in combat it could only count a general who was with the unit for the CMT to halt pursuit.

However, yesterday in a game with Dave Ruddock he pointed out that you can count a general unless you are in close combat. Close combat is defined in the glossary as ceasing when one of the opponents routs. Thus in pursuit you are not in close combat and can therefore count generals who are not with the unit.

I cannot fault the logic but it feels wrong. :wink:

So the question is can you count a general who is not with the unit when testing to halt pursuit?
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Can you count a general who is not with the unit when te

Post by philqw78 »

The bit about generals leaving a pursuing unit is described separately to combat
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

The unit did not have a general with them, but there was a general nearby.

I attempted to stop pursuing and counted the general, as, since described by Paul above, they were not in close combat :)
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby »

I think you are confusing 2 similar but different issues Paul.

A Commander declared to be fighting in the front rank remains so until no longer in close combat or in contact with routers. So that Commander cannot influence other BGs.

Close combat is defined on page 142. So pursuers can be influenced by a Commander who is within range but not with them since they are no longer in close combat.
So the question is can you count a general who is not with the unit when testing to halt pursuit?
Yes
Pete
paullongmore

Post by paullongmore »

I often find, despite many views to the contrary, that playing Dave is a pleasure as I learn stuff.

This was one of those occasions.

Thought it was worth pointing out as many people don't realise/ play it that way and it is quite clear in the rules. :D
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

paullongmore wrote:I often find, despite many views to the contrary, that playing Dave is a pleasure as I learn stuff.
Exactly what is this trying to say?
Evaluator of Supremacy
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

dave_r wrote:
paullongmore wrote:I often find, despite many views to the contrary, that playing Dave is a pleasure as I learn stuff.
Exactly what is this trying to say?
I would guess it means everybody else thinks you're knob Dave

:wink:
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
papsterdino
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by papsterdino »

cheers.. we could not find the info on p142. and the more we looked at it the more confused we got....and saving me from Dave as well :lol:

Return to “Rules Questions”