Feeding Troops into melee

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

RSDPIT
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Feeding Troops into melee

Post by RSDPIT »

Please see diagram below for situation, having dealt with impact and post impact CT and Routs. we now need to feed more troops into contact, agreement then could not be reached on the overlap position

Reading the rules after, I (and the Romans) think:-

1. Seleucid BG1 can only feed troops into an overlap on there right flank because on their left is a new enemy BG that wasn't fighting as an overlap page 80

However

2. Romans are side edge to side edge and are eligible to be an overlap if they want, page 82, because they are side edge to side edge and eligible to be an overlap they can turn (with a test) and fight in melee page 84, which potentially will give them 4 die instead of 2 and a -1 to the Seleucid if they turn and fight
3. Alternatively the Romans can wait and charge the flank at their next impact phase

I would appreciate any clarification
Attachments
Feeding Roops into Melee.jpg
Feeding Roops into Melee.jpg (128.84 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Feeding Troops into melee

Post by grahambriggs »

The issue here is that the wording on page 80 is sloppy - "the new enemy BG was already fighting it as an overlap". Which leads you to question when does "fighting as an overlap" actually start? It's not explicitly stated in the rules, but it is usually played that BGs that end the impact phase in an overlap position are in close combat (p96, as they haven't moved away) and at that point they are fighting as an overlap, hence BG1 has the option of feeding in bases to BG4.

To simplify the question, let us say that BG2 never existed. BG1 charges BG3, and BG4 is right next to BG3. Would you allow BG1 to expand into BG4 then? I certainly would, as it's in the overlap position.

So my ruling in a competition would be:

1. BG1 can feed in to it's left.

If they chose not to:

2. Roman BG4 is in overlap (the left two bases of BG4 is in an overlap position - assuming Romans pursue 1MU as HF?) and MUST FIGHT - it is not optional. BG4 cannot turn in the enemy's move (the only thing you can do in the enemy move is feed in bases against overlaps). It also cannot turn in in the Roman move - you have missed the bit on p84 that says "if not eligible to fight as overlap" - they are eligible so cannot turn.

3. In the Roman turn, the front two ranks of the Seleucid BG1 are in melee to their front. So these cannot be charged (p62 at top). Had the Romans pursued a little further they could have charged the third base back, as only the first two bases are in melee. This would not be a flank charge (p60, wheeling within 1MU stops it counting as a flank charge) so would count as a frontal charge on BG1. Probably still a good idea if BG1 is disrupted.
RSDPIT
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by RSDPIT »

Thanks for that Graham,
One more clarification if I had been able to pursue 2 MU (instead of 1) I would still have been in side to side contact, but now I would not be able to charge as my first rank would be beyond the rear rank of the Seleucid's, but conversely presumably the Seleucid's can't expand to fight the Romans as that would mean any bases they expanded with would loose contact with the rest of the BG?
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

RSDPIT wrote:Thanks for that Graham,
One more clarification if I had been able to pursue 2 MU (instead of 1) I would still have been in side to side contact, but now I would not be able to charge as my first rank would be beyond the rear rank of the Seleucid's, but conversely presumably the Seleucid's can't expand to fight the Romans as that would mean any bases they expanded with would loose contact with the rest of the BG?
If the Romans are still in overlap (side edge contact with Seluecid front rank base) the bases can be fed in regardless - p79 last bullet.
RSDPIT
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by RSDPIT »

got it thanks
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

But for clarity - check the definition of an overlap on Page 82.

If they go forward 1 MU they are almost certainly in overlap. If they go forward 2 MU it is less certain.
Pete

Return to “Rules Questions”